Oh, man, they're not kidding (cilicio)

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 07:51 pm
Some know on a2k that I'm both interested in italian culture and a long time x catholic, and, while citing myself as a-theist, without theism, am not intolerant in general of other folks believing in varied religions or moral structures, or strictures, as long as they don't impinge on me. Or so I say.

So, while I've subscribed to some italian newspapers on line for a while, in italian, my italian, never good, is beyond rusty, and I tend to not check them out.
Recently I had my computer crash, and in rebuilding my news sources I decided to add the Corriere della Sera in English as well as italian, so I could read, compare, and presumably refresh my little comprehension of the language.

Well, damn, the first article I clicked on - because it is the first listed - is fairly amazing to me:
(no paragraphs in the quote, so I won't construct them)

http://www.corriere.it/english/articoli/2007/03_Marzo/08/cili.shtml

quoting -

Catholics and the Return of the Spiked Metal "Cilicio"
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,036 • Replies: 5
No top replies

roger

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 08:05 pm
With Easter coming on, you've got a chance to head up into the Sangre de Cristos and observe the penitants. I don't actually suggest you do that, but you could.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 08:23 pm
Catholics get all the fun.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 08:31 pm
Why don't they wear it around the neck. Real tight.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 09:14 pm
It's true, I see this in a whole new light than I did at age 14 in 1956, or when I was signed up for the convent in '59.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 09:28 pm
In my researching about one of my favorite subjects, piazzas, I honed in at one point on Bagno Vignoni, a town my hub and I passed in our driving around Tuscany. I got interested in it after that, when I was seriously checking out types of town squares and italian and subscribed to the magazine, Bell'Italia, in italian, which was at that time - it seemed to me - a fairly scholarly publication with fantastic architectural drawings re different periods re different sites. I still have several years worth of those, to me a great magazine. I'd read the articles with dictionary at hand, and grammar book at hand. Heh, their grammar from my pov was impeccable.

It was probably there, but maybe in some other source, that I found out about Catherine of Siena being (said to have been) taken there by her parents so she'd meet a nice nobleman, or something like that, get her out of her doldrums, as it were. She headed for the boiling water part of the pool.... I think Montaigne may have stopped there, and Lorenzo d'Medici, but I'm fuzzier on certainty re those two. If they did, they probably had differing motivations, alleviation of gout in Montaigne's case - I read his travels, but years ago now.
0 Replies