AV Receivers with HDMI

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 03:36 pm
I ordered a Sony KDS 55A2000 and was planning on upgrading my dvd player and surround system. The only problem I'm having with DVD units that up convert is there seem to be a ton of them. In regards to AV Recievers, I was looking at the Sony STRDG800 but the HDMI is just a pass through and I think the same is true of the Sherwood RD7502. I'm going to check out the Panasonic SAXR57 next it looks promising. I guess one of my questions would be why have a HDMI i/o if an optical audio cable is going to have to be hooked up too? I just upgraded my DirecTV service to HD. I was running a second TVoff the box through a Coaxial run to the basement. The new cable box doesn't have a Coaxial output. Fortunately the current DVD player has a Coaxial output and I was able to hook that the DVD player up to the cable box with component cables. If all all the AV Receivers are just pass thoughts, even if they're not, why pay for pay for the HDMI i/o when I can get digital surround sound by connecting a optical cable? If the preceeding is correct is there an "older: AV Receiver with an optical input and a coaxial output (that will run my second TV). Also if if can't find a AV Receiver to run the second TV is there a converter that will convert component cables to coaxial.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 516 • Replies: 2
No top replies

fishin

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 11:47 am
Your post is a jumble and it isn't quite clear exactly what your question/issues are.

If you have a receiver with HDMI switching then you shouldn't need the optical cable for audio since HDMI includes both the audio and video signals.

The reason for using HDMI isn't just for digital audio. If you are using the component video outputs on your DVD player for the video signal then the DVD player is converting the digial signal stored on the DVD to an analog signal for output. You are then sending that you your receiver to be switched and sent to your TV which converts the analog signal back to digital to display it.

If you are using HDMI outputs on your DVD player then the digital-to-analog conversion circuits are being bypassed and the analog-to-digital convertors in the TV are being bypassed. It is an all-digital signal.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 11:57 am
If I were in the market for a DVD player, here is where I would look first:

Link to CNet Reviews

We have two new hi-def TVs. We are waiting though to see which comes out on top, Blu-Ray or HD-DVD. There is a new item:

http://reviews.cnet.com/LG_BH100/4505-6463_7-32312334.html?tag=prod.txt.3

This player will pay both kinds of DVDs.
0 Replies