HDMI Cables/ Are They What they are Cracked Up to Be?

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 06:45 am
We recently bought a hi-def TV with HDMI inputs. I dutifully went out and spent a lot of money on HDMI cables. When the TV was connected, the tech tried the HDMI, and the component video cables, which came with the cable box. The HDMI is supposed to deliver a finer picture than the component video.

I was not there when the cable guy installed the hi-def cable box, but my husband claims that the hi-def channels looked better with the component video cables. The tech said that the HDMI was simply "hype". You do need them though, if you are connecting a hi-def DVD player.

What has been your experience?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,144 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 08:03 am
I think it makes a difference. It makes the picture more crisp.

My husband can tell more than I can but I definitly think it makes a difference.

It also depends on your tv. I couldn't tell as much with our old tv as I can with our new one.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 08:09 am
Quote:
It also depends on your tv. I couldn't tell as much with our old tv as I can with our new one.

Bella- Most older sets don't even HAVE HDMI inputs.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 08:14 am
Phoenix seems to be creating threads at an alarming rate this morning. And with no coffee in her system.

I think the woman must be on drugs.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 08:15 am
It is really funny about these things. My husband is a hi-fi freak. His friends used to bring over all manner of multikillerbuck cables to test out on our system. Some of those cables have really WILD prices.

Anyhow, one day we went to this huge electronics surplus place in Orlando. My husband saw some wire that was selling at 15 cents a foot (I think that it has gone up to 30 cents now Shocked ) It looked interesting, so he bought a lot of it. He made up some multistrand wires from the surplus stuff that sounded better than the pricey cables.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 08:37 am
In THEORY HDMI will deliver a cleaner pic. It is an all-digital signal.

On the component side the digital signal from your cable provider (or inside your DVD player) is converted to analog component outputs and then converted back to a digital signal by the television before display.

In reality, very few people will ever notice any difference since the TVs internal analog-to-digital processors will generate signals to "fill in" for any missing data. If you have a crappy digital feed, the TV's A-D processors can actually improve the picture because it is creating data to fill in the missing bits - something the HDMI (or DVI) input can't do.

So far the biggest advantage I've found with HDMI is that you only have one cable/connector for everything - video and audio. That is much neater when running an HD signal to multiple rooms.

HDMI may have more impact as more true HDTV signals start getting broadcast and HD DVD players become more common.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 08:48 am
Makes sense to me, fishin'- Thanks! Very Happy
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 09:34 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Quote:

Bella- Most older sets don't even HAVE HDMI inputs.

Well, the tv wasn't old. It was just older. :wink:
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 09:54 am
One thing - you don't really need expensive HDMI cables since the signal is digital. If you see digital drop - looks like boxes/pixelization. then buy a better cable, otherwise get the cheapest one available.

Think about it - we can run GBE 300' over UTP.
0 Replies