The Idiot

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2007 10:52 pm
I take it back. I just read the description of existentialism on wikipedia. While i don't think I'm a big fan of Sartre (actually, now i'm thinking i have to re-read Being and Nothingness. I did like it... then for whatever reason I decided I have outgrown it. But i'll be damned, I forgot why), I do like Kierkegaard, Heidegger and Nietzsche. If those are the roots of existentialism, I gotta give it a closer look, for I know not of what I'm talking about...
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2007 10:54 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
eeyep. i read some of them. Sartre for sure. Liked it at the time (I was maybe 18, 19).

Now it just seems too artificially glum to me. You know, kinda like artsy films that just 'try too hard'.
18, 19 !?!? geez. That preety young.

I can't seem to shake it. I know what you mean though, maybe I am immature or using it as some sort of scapegoat.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2007 10:55 pm
nah, i was just being snooty. shame on me. now i think i would like it again.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 01:30 am
dagmaraka wrote:
I take it back. I just read the description of existentialism on wikipedia. While i don't think I'm a big fan of Sartre (actually, now i'm thinking i have to re-read Being and Nothingness. I did like it... then for whatever reason I decided I have outgrown it. But i'll be damned, I forgot why), I do like Kierkegaard, Heidegger and Nietzsche. If those are the roots of existentialism, I gotta give it a closer look, for I know not of what I'm talking about...
I went through exactly the same thing. I said to myself;

"This crap isn't practical, I have too concentrate on reality."

But I think now that it can be very positive. That you can actually apply it to your life and that it can help you except the world around you and help become more responsible (not pay your bills and be on time responsible. I mean in another way) . It is highly misunderstood.

But I will not abuse your ears for my own interest just because you are willing to listen.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 01:48 am
Amigo wrote:
How you doing Montana? Nice to see you.

I'm doin ok. How you doin?

Thank you and always nice to see you too, Amigo :-D
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 01:53 am
I remember you were having a hard time with the price of gas and the drive to work.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 01:55 am
Yeah well, I got laid off so I have a whole bunch of new stuff going on Laughing
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 02:13 am
Laughing Collect unemployment!!!! It's the poorman's vacation plan. I camand you to enjoy your time off.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 01:24 pm
Amigo wrote:
dagmaraka wrote:

But I think now that it can be very positive. That you can actually apply it to your life and that it can help you except the world around you and help become more responsible (not pay your bills and be on time responsible. I mean in another way) . It is highly misunderstood.

But I will not abuse your ears for my own interest just because you are willing to listen.

ah, but i do need to be on time and pay bills and such... then again, maybe i'll just muddle through in much the same fashion for the remaining 50 years or so and nobody will notice.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 02:34 pm
Amigo wrote:
Laughing Collect unemployment!!!! It's the poorman's vacation plan. I camand you to enjoy your time off.

Poorman's vacation is right, but it's not exactly a vacation. I'm working harder here at home with renovations than I do when I'm working. Leave it to me Laughing

I'm actually hoping to go back to school so I can get the hell out of poorman's land. I miss making real money and I want to try to actually do what I enjoy doing for a living, for a change.

Porrman's land sucks and I could never get use to this unemployment thing. I collected for one year and that was enough, so I got myself a full time job where I was laid off 8 months later (4 months away from my raise and benefits), so since I obviously can't trust employers, I might as well go back to work for myself. I work too hard for other people who don't give a rats ass about me.

Screw them Laughing
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 05:41 pm
Sounds like a great idea Montanta.

Have you heard of 'surplus value'?

Suplus value is the amount of money the boss makes off of your work.

If the boss sends you to clean the neibors house and collects 200$ and pays you 50$ the your surplus value is 150$ whitch the boss keeps for doing nothing.

If you work at the market for 10$ an hour the owner collecct 20$ an hour off you for doing nothing and when you get to old to work they get another one just like you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surplus_value

P.S. I am not a marxist.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 09:49 pm
Absolutely! I've run 2 business and had several jobs working for companies, etc, so I know, believe me, I know ;-)

I didn't want to start another business because of the stress involved, but now that my son is grown and I can actually hear myself think, I found something I can do for myself where I won't have the stresses I had with my other businesses.

Hell, it stresses me out more knowing how much of my very hard work is going into other peoples pockets. You know the ones with the big desks they sit behind and do whatever it is they do ;-)

Gus thinks I'm dizzy, but he'd be surprised Laughing
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 10:14 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
Amigo wrote:
dagmaraka wrote:

ah, but i do need to be on time and pay bills and such... then again, maybe i'll just muddle through in much the same fashion for the remaining 50 years or so and nobody will notice.
I know what you mean.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 10:14 pm
Quote:
I :heart: Dostoevsky.

"I am a sick man... I am a spiteful man. I am an unattractive man. I believe my liver is diseased."

Yeah, baby! You gots to love Dostoevsky.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 10:16 pm
Whata line!!!

He sounds like one bad dude.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 10:22 pm
He was cool. He got exiled to Siberia. Smile

One night, several years ago, I was at this company dinner, and this know-it-all type of guy says to me, he says, "It's like Dostoevsky once said, "happy families are all alike, but every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way."

So I says to him, I says, "That....was Tolstoy."

Later on that night, he tried to tell me that escargot (es-car-go) should be pronounced the way it looks (es-car-got).

Some people just shouldn't be allowed out. Anyway, it's nice to hear from you, my Amigo. You're one fine hombre.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 10:31 pm
Hey thanks Smile

Iv'e said some pretty dumb things like that. But I pull it off by coming clean in the end.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 10:34 pm
ok....I've said dumb stuff like that too.... :wink:
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2007 12:55 am
Well I'll be damned. Dostoyevsky is my most favorite writer by far. I've read just about everything. And here I read (wikipedia) that he, too, was an existentialist. At school they taught me he came at the tail end of Russian romanticism period... not that the literature was all that romantic, it was about the grandeur of emotions and such. Guess I'm an existentialist after all. Who knew.

from wikipedia:
Quote:
Dostoevsky and Existentialism
With the publication of Crime and Punishment in 1866, Fyodor Dostoevsky became one of Russia's most prominent authors in the nineteenth century. Dostoevsky has also been labeled one of the founding fathers of the philosophical movement known as existentialism. In particular, his Notes from Underground, first published in 1864, has been depicted as a founding work of existentialism. For Dostoevsky, war is the rebellion of the people against the idea that reason guides everything. And thus, reason is the ultimate principle of guidance for neither history nor mankind. Having been exiled to the city of Omsk (Siberia) in 1849, many of Dostoevsky's works entail notions of suffering and despair.

Nietzsche referred to Dostoevsky as "the only psychologist from whom I have something to learn: he belongs to the happiest windfalls of my life, happier even than the discovery of Stendhal." He said that Notes from the Underground "cried truth from the blood." According to Mihajlo Mihajlov's "The great catalyzer: Nietzsche and Russian neo-Idealism", Nietzsche constantly refers to Dostoevsky in his notes and drafts through out the winter of 1886-1887. Nietzsche also wrote abstracts of several of Dostoevsky's works.

Freud wrote an article entitled Dostoevsky and Parricide that asserts that the greatest works in world literature are all about parricide (though he is critical of Dostoevsky's work overall, the inclusion of The Brothers Karamazov in a set of the three greatest works of literature is remarkable).

0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2007 01:01 am
Dag, I read that Wikipedia thing last night.

I'm gonna read some other exist$%#@#$ (you know what) stuff tonight.
0 Replies