Transplanting a tree

littlek

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 09:38 pm
If you really want to.

Soz, I would double check my watering instructions

Here's a couple links. The first is about how to plant new trees and the second about watering (they recommend more watering than I do. I've killed plants by over-watering, so find a couple sources).

http://www.state.sc.us/forest/urbsurv.htm

http://www.morris.umn.edu/pyg/tips/trees_shrubs/tip_1316.shtml
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 09:40 pm
This is a major philosophic difference that a lot of us bounce around -

My opinion is give it up, and take care of any treekilling qualms by planting younger better ones in a place of choice.
They do tend to catch up.

and

I have this reflexive aversion to cutting down a perfectly healthy (if kind of scraggly and badly placed) tree, so I liked that aspect (move it but save it).

I understand the save the tree urge. But the form of that tree.. not a great start.

I might think of cutting off the side branching and staking the more upright as a center trunk. But, I'm not an arborist. You might ask that guy's opinion.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 09:43 pm
Ha! Can it be saved with some staking?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 09:51 pm
It's also pure money, which I still don't have much of. Why buy a new one when I have one I'm considering whacking anyway in the backyard...

Anyway, lots of good info, thanks! Will mull.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 09:55 pm
I dunno, I've saved, I think, some of my own, but then I moved.

Memories of planting, what, two Agonis flexuosa in my old yard. One had nifty form, slightly enhanced by me, and one wanted to do the slump, so I staked the kazoo out of it and adjusted often.
Last time I was in LA, I went down the alley and they were both way up there and verdantly hanging. But I suspect numero due will always want to slump more.

Not the situation with soz' Cercis. It's got two sides weighing with no main trunk. Admittedly trees live on, and one could adopt it as a form orphan, but....
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 10:05 pm
Yeah, transplant it. So what if it doesn't work? You'll then plant a replacement in the same place, so it will be easy digging, and the soil will be fairly well prepared before you start.

I wish we could have pink flowering dogwood here. Redbuds are a sorry substitute.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 10:10 pm
Why, because it has poor form.

You can get one or more trees in five gallon cans and pay attention to pruning and have...
well, ne'er mind. I know there is this reluctance to toss a tree.
0 Replies