Countdown to Springtime: Marching towards the Equinox 2007

sozobe

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 08:01 am
Hi Noddy,

Sozlet's doing MUCH better. (She needed to be taken to the ER Saturday for dehydration after a week-long illness -- she kept getting ALMOST better but not quite, and had less reserves the longer it went on.) Yesterday she was weak but the day was otherwise fine, she had some food and a fair amount of water and kept it all down, and was nice and perky and herself again. On Saturday before we took her to the ER and until the IV fluids kicked in she was just such a sad puddle, not talking because closing her mouth made her nauseous, not smiling at anything. So sad and scary, so very good to have her back to her silly chatty self.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 08:13 am
Soz--

Glad to her of the recovery.

Sick children not only mean you're short of sleep--sick children pull and tug and tangle your heartstrings.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 05:08 pm
Yay, so glad sozlet is better!!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 05:16 pm
Didn't know Sozlette was sick. Nauseous when closing her mouth? That is scary!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 05:21 pm
It totally sucked.

She's at a birthday party now and I'm on pins and needles. She already missed two (several parties happened to be bunched together), and this one is for one of her best friends. They'll just be sitting around watching a movie and having some treats. I sent some tummy-friendly treats with her and gave her strict instructions not to have any of the party food. (She's been fine since the ER but still coming along, food-wise, we're taking it slow.) The mom at the party said yeah, her kid had it first, was sick for a week, just awful. School secretary said a bunch of kids have been out sick (a third of her class was also out each of the days she was sick.) Something extremely nasty going around, not sure what.

Anyway, she's been fine since the wee hours of Sunday morning (when the IV fluids kicked in at the ER), so that's all day Sunday and all day today, and she was aggressively bored today, so...

<nibbling fingernails and checking the phone again to see if anyone's called...>
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 05:23 pm
Someone at my master's class had to bring her son in for fluids too. Same sort of scenario.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 08:00 pm
Oof.

She was fine. She was very, very sad about not having any treats, though the mom at the party was super-sweet and packed up one of everything for her to have later. But she (sozlet) was still very sad. When she was moping, E.G. suggested that she'd had too much sugar on a basically empty stomach and that accounted for her mood -- the one thing she'd had at the party was some Sprite. This set off a meltdown, since she'd tried so hard to do the right thing even though it was so difficult -- it was probably about that but about processing the whole trauma (I know she was really scared, but she was super brave at the ER, hardly flinched when the IV went in, etc.) Just sobbed in my arms for a while while I told her that I knew how hard it had been and how brave she'd been. I think she needed to have that emotional catharsis. Much better afterwards. (And E.G. apologized.)

I talked to another mom of a classmate at the party whose kid also had the flu recently, really bad. Seems pretty likely that was the culprit.

Anyway, after an especially rough couple of weeks, spring will be most welcome.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2007 12:23 pm
Quote:
....aggressively bored....

Been there, done that. Beautiful description.

I woke up this morning to find that the front steps and walk were completely free of ice and absolutely safe to walk on.

Happy first day of spring.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 06:47 am
So our first day in spring:

http://i12.tinypic.com/48xcolt.jpghttp://i11.tinypic.com/2mcatdk.jpg
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 07:01 am
And thus, the magnolias look the very same as looked alike as 10 days ago (when we had had really spring temperatures and sunshine)

http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/420/frhlingsanfanga1959x292xc4.jpg
(Photo from this morning, in the background the former HQ of the British troops and before that of the Wehrmacht], now our community college and the local branch of the Distance University).
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 08:20 am
Wonderful about the disappeared ice, Noddy.

Last night I saw a beautiful sight, meant to grab my camera but was distracted once I got inside. The new-new sliver of a crescent moon was on its back, a Cheshire cat smile, with the evening star right above it.

Does the positioning of the crescent have something to do with the equinox?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 08:25 am
Quote:

http://i10.tinypic.com/30jsms9.jpg

from wiki
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 08:27 am
Hmm, "orientation" may have been a better word. I don't mean where it is in the sky, or new-vs-full, I mean the "smile" orientation as opposed to a "C" orientation, if that makes sense.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 08:38 am
That only has to do with the actual mood of the man on the moon. :wink:
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 10:11 am
we are all smiles because the sun is shining and by friday we should reach SIX C "ABOVE FREEZING" Exclamation
so we have decided to go on a daytrip to prince edward county - it's about an hour's drive along lake ontario .
we'll treat ourselves to a nice lunch at the old "doctor's house" ; it used to be the country doctor's residence and is now a beautifully decorated restaurant - and the food is frst class too .
if time permits we'll take a short walk on the beach - there will probably be some ice left . we'll take the ferry on the way back - should be nice crashing through the ice .
hbg
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 11:20 am
Melting, melting, melting....
0 Replies

Heatwave

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 12:22 pm
Yay! Spring.....drip, drip, dripping outside all my windows - melting, melting, melting.

And spreading in circles under the sprawling old trees in the front yard of our apartment complex - delicate lavender wildflowers with orange hearts.

Beautiful, gorgeous Spring. Welcome!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 07:13 pm
This morning I had to take a stab at explaining why the spring is today AND there was still snow and ice outside to a class of kindergarteners. I thought I did a good job - - had the class been 3rd graders or older. I don't know if they understood anything of what I said.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 08:47 pm
Today wasn't just springy, it was downright summery. Went out to clear off debris from back lawn and put down another layer of grass seed -- started with just a fleece jacket (have been wearing down one), then that got way too hot and did the rest in jeans + a t-shirt, and THAT became too hot. Sozlet started out with tights, skirt, and long sleeved t and ended up in bare legs, skirt, and short-sleeve t. Crazy weather. Great to get some yard work done, though. (And the swing turns out to be perfect for this. She goes crazy with the swing, I keep her company, and she stays off the grass.)
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 06:02 am
Littlek--

Eventually you get used to picking up on non-verbal feedback. Meanwhile, remember that while it is "supposed" to snow for Christmas we have a lot of green Christmasses.

Soz--

I'm glad the swing got a proper workout--for both its function.

Temperatures here will be in the 40's and 50's for the next twenty-four hours. This is serious melting weather.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/19/2024 at 05:11:21