Countdown to Springtime: Marching towards the Equinox 2007

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 02:06 pm
A view as of today (in tomorrow's local paper) from a street in town here: three to four weeks too early ...

http://i10.tinypic.com/2upec82.jpg
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 04:46 pm
a rather grey day yesterday ; today the sun is out and things look more cheerful - about 8 C - 47 F .

(thumbnail)
http://img466.imageshack.us/img466/3950/march1207076ag7.th.jpg

kingston has its guard up !
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 07:06 pm
Walter. I see that these two women were walking in the exclamation zone.In the US we try not to over inform our drivers because studies have shown that most people have no idea what all these signs even mean. Use of all those silly signs ruins the beautiful landscape no?

And, of course we usually walk on the sidewalks.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 08:25 pm
Wah! Winter's sneaking in!

It's officially autumn here. We start our seasons neatly on the 1st of the appropriate month. Chilly enough to add a second sheet to the bed - but not cold enough for a blanket yet. This is a good time of the year - but winter lurks..... Sad
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 03:44 am
farmerman wrote:
Walter. I see that these two women were walking in the exclamation zone.In the US we try not to over inform our drivers because studies have shown that most people have no idea what all these signs even mean. Use of all those silly signs ruins the beautiful landscape no?

And, of course we usually walk on the sidewalks.

I like the sign which indicates "SOME BRANCHES OF OUR STREET TREES ARE LOWER THAN THE HEIGHT OF A LORRY"

Informative, but what is the lorry driver supposed to do then?

Go away, I suppose.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 01:23 pm
i see NINE signs !
no wonder i fell on my face on our last stay in hamburg trying to read all the signs and watching where i was going at the same time - an impossible task for a canadian .
and they charged me euros 60 for stitching up my face and it cost me another $200 for new glasses !
i shoulda sued 'em ! ... well , next time i'll be better prepared !
hbg
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 02:28 pm
Instead of putting up the stupid signs they could always trim the trees back a bit What do those signs with the circles and arrows mean?.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 03:15 pm
farmerman wrote :

Quote:
Instead of putting up the stupid signs they could always trim the trees back a bit

now , now ! we wouldn't want to destroy what mother nature has so generously supplied , would we ? Shocked
hbg
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 03:18 pm
No stopping (Clearway) - used all over Europe and a couple of more continents :wink:
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 03:19 pm
farmerman:
if you have a few years to spare , perhaps you'd like to study some of the german traffic signs ?
does it beat counting sheep if you can't go to sleep ?
hbg

http://www.tt-modelleisenbahn.de/ttbilder/kreye.jpg
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 03:20 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
No stopping (Clearway) - used all over Europe and a couple of more continents :wink:

The arrows mean "in front and behind that sign" - I was wondering about those parked cars ...
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 03:28 pm
walter wrote :

Quote:
The arrows mean "in front and behind that sign" - I was wondering about those parked cars ...

that was farmerman parking his car there ; seems he is refusing to learn the german traffic signs !
just let the german police get hold of him !
hbg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d2/Polizeihund.jpg/200px-Polizeihund.jpg
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 05:53 pm
hbg, why do they have a Schutztaffel symbol as number 3 . Otherwise I see that you need a translation book for these signs. Im glad that we Americans are dumasses.
When I was up near Dundalk (N Ireland) there was a huge yellow triangular sign with a guy holding a rifle high in the air) That was a sniper sign left over from earlier days. It was nicely placed to alert the British not to wear their uniforms.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 05:56 pm
why would anyone want to have a NO TRUMPET zone? whats wrong with trumpets?
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2007 05:46 pm
There are some parts of Germany where it's illegal to pee standing up.

This applies to men too. :wink:
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2007 01:02 pm
mctag wrote :

Quote:
There are some parts of Germany where it's illegal to pee standing up.

i'm glad i was allowed to stand up in the pissoir in hamburg :wink: ,
lying down in there might have been somewhat uncomfortable ! Shocked
hbg

http://www.plumsite.com/fredgurner/pissoir.jpg
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 07:15 am
This is the last full day of winter.

Tomorrow at 8:07 p.m. EDT the sun will be over the equator, headed north.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 07:22 am
None too soon!!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 07:56 am
Amen.

How is your daughter, Little Miss Unswallow, this morning? Any hope for a "normal" week?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 07:56 am
Amen!
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/19/2024 at 06:03:20