It's Dang HOT Here, How Is It For YOU?

cobalt

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2003 12:21 am
Dear a2kers, I'm dying, literally dying, I swear it, from the heat and humidity right now! For the last three nights, my son and I have trooped over to friends' home to soak up the AC. Right now, with three full size fans directing the air towards my bedroom at the end of the hall, it is still 96 degrees in here! Yipes!

I'm in Central Illinois and wondering how on earth this fragile flower of a female will survive the next six weeks of this! Aaaaaaaah!
How is it for you?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,518 • Replies: 51
No top replies

nextone

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2003 12:35 am
NYC 90's Humid

Have AC, but haven't had it on in six years. I'm a fan of fans, drinking lots of water,juice, tea all over ice, sitting still, napping, showering, staying in low gear until this stretch breaks.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2003 12:40 am
It is hot as Hades.
I opened the door today to wack weeds, and I felt like I got backdrafted by a huge fire. The sheer heat and thick humidity almost pushed me back into the house.

I used SPF 30 yesterday and only stayed out for about an hour, and singed my forehead! First sunburn I've had in four years.

HOT!
0 Replies

cobalt

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2003 01:10 am
I burned my left arm many days while driving to and from the SW of the US recently. That would be the arm that is closest to the window for a driver. The last 300 miles or so, I took to covering up loosely with a light shirt just over that arm - I couldn't bear to put it on, it was so hot and I had no AC in the car. At $195 for a "recharge" I'd had to forgo the luxury, and someone please shoot me if I do such a road trip again in this heat without AC. Gads, I must be more and more a wimp as I age! What do you think? Do you feel more susceptible to feeling terrible from the heat?
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2003 01:34 am
It has definitely been true for me-- I'm more susceptible to pain, heat and cold...and bruising..and my teeth are more sensitive... <run for the hills, I feel a reflection of age's cruelties coming on...>

Even though I strongly prefer cold to heat--cold has multiplied by a thousand in the last few years with me. Heat, now, can make me nauseated and give me a headache. Evil or Very Mad

Should we curse about this unfair progression? Cool I think it is appropriate. :wink:
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2003 02:17 am
It's cooler at night. Quieter too. I listen and watch
because the mountain tops still have just a few glaciers
of living snow.

It's been hot the last few weeks, over 80 and sometimes 90's.
To stay cool I froze a 2-liter bottle of water and slept with it
in my arms again.

A sigh, a memory, and a shiver of blissful thought.
In the morning my dreams were all melted away and
I poured them down the sink.

In winter the world is so refreshing and light, sharp and crunchy.
The cold wakes my skin, crystalizes so much desire for breath and heat.
Things are clear. I can burn.

But in summer I drum to pass the slow and heavy time,
rhythms and layers of voices circling the fire outside, not within.
Waiting for the snow.

Waiting to live again.

----------
PS -- It helps to wrap the 2-liter bottle in a small towel to reduce condensation.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2003 04:45 am
Where I live, it is hot and humod for 4-5 months of the year. The rest of the time it is either warm and humid, or cool and humid. I think we probably have about 2 weeks of cool, dry weather a year here!
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2003 05:39 am
I'd take cold over hot any time. No matter how cold it gets you can always put more clothes on. When it gets humid and miserable like it is now, there's nothing to do but suffer.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2003 05:41 am
I have just cancelled my holiday (to enormous irritation of my friends) to Egypt as the temps out there are threating to touch 40 !

I have extremely low tolerance to heat (which is surprising for an Indian) and anything above a comfortable climate controlled environment of 22 is hot for me !!!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2003 06:07 am
Jim- I am just the opposite. I get very annoyed having to run around in heavy clothes, like I did in NY. Here, I put on a pair of shorts and a T shirt, and I am ready to go.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2003 06:34 am
I ran my AC for 3 straight days to keep the temp at about 74F. Today, the AC was shut off and I cleaned out the filter. While, it's still hot today, mid 80's the humidity isn't so bad.

Tuesday will be 90s again, in Boston. I'm hot, but at least I've got some fresh air. After awhile, that air conditioned air is sickening to breathe.

Cobalt: You need to buy a small AC for your place. 96F is too high.
ACs are cheap today. Go buy yourself one!
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2003 08:54 am
Yes!Yes!Yes! Heat, at last!! Since we never get the american kind of heat, we were pretty surpised to have more than six consecutive weeks of temps above 80 and up till 95°F for a coupla days.

In sweden we're bloody deep-frozen for half of the year...

I can stand sweating better than freezing
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2003 09:01 am
Hot hot hot.

Stormy stormy stormy lately, though, which cools things down (somewhat.) The only problem is the storms have been hitting at night, great big thundery lightning-y ones, and so none of us have been sleeping very well. http://smilies.crowd9.com/otn/sleepy/blyawn.gif
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2003 09:30 am
Highs in the 90s here. Hasn't quite made 100 yet, but will soon, I'm sure. I don't mind the heat so much. I'll take it any day over the cold. I hate even thinking about cold weather.

We usually go to the Caribbean during the summer. It's off-season there, so not so many tourists & better prices. Plus, it's cooler there than at home. Leaving for Nassau on Saturday for a week...can hardly wait!!!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2003 10:39 am
My poor ol' Bessie (the jeep) was parked out in direct sunlight yesterday, locked, with the windows rolled up. It got so hot in there, the adhesive backing on the rear view mirror failed, and i found the mirror on the floor when i went to the jeep at about 2:30.

Damn, hot enough to fry eggs on the hood.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2003 11:05 am
it's been hot hot hot. once you get naked there's just nowhere to go wardrobe-wise. as jim pointed out, when it's cold, you can add layers. there's nothing left to lose here on some days.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2003 11:15 am
The Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex is hot and humid and everyong is happy so far that the temps have only been in the high 90f so far this summer.

Happy - I find it does not matter 90 or 108 it is all the same to me. I have not air conditioning in my car and it is killing me. The only thing I can do is try to remember living in Tucson and Phoenix in the late 60s when no one had air conditioing in their cars. We all survived.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2003 12:30 pm
If you're in an airless, hot room, you could easily put yourself into a coma.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2003 12:34 pm
low 70's here. Sunny, warm, clouds scudding across the sky ... I still use the air conditioning in the car when it is sunny though as i hate to be hot.
0 Replies

cobalt

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2003 12:38 pm
New Haven - alas, I am in a summer sublet apartment in a student ghetto right next to the university, so a second AC is out. There's one in the living room and now I have THREE fans trying to direct the cool(?) air down the hall towards my room but no luck so far.

Last night my son and I went strolling down the aisles of the local WalMart to soak up AC and decide on buying that third fan. What I really want is the Black and Decker Silent Storm remote control fan on a stand or the Honeywell in similar model. But, $35 is still a bit too much for me. But, I tell you that if this coming month continues such and August looms oppressive, well, I may break down and buy a good one. IF they are still to be had...

I still wonder how I survived those hot humid days in the Chicago area. My parents had ONE fan in the front door trying to cool the upstairs. There were too ceiling height casement windows in my room, but they were ineffective. No wonder us four kids all grew up skinny! Maybe from all that perspiration? My brothers in the basement were far more comfy. I even remember taking sleeping bags downstairs a few times to try to beat the heat. Oh yes, the family cat (a long hair) also spent the duration of the heat waves in that basement too.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » It's Dang HOT Here, How Is It For YOU?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/28/2024 at 12:14:22