Lovats Mega, MIGHTY MEGA

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2007 07:10 pm
Hi all,
Just wanted the answer for a couple.
62A: ?I?E (large hawk). All I can find it kite, but they are infact small hawks???

& 103D: (squash) is the answer press?

Thanks for you help in advance Very Happy
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 691 • Replies: 5
No top replies

vernamae

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2007 07:34 pm
mighty mega
I am not doing the mega, but both Kite & press would be correct. The Kite is a beautiful little bird from the hawk family.

vernamae
0 Replies

mrsgreen663

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2007 07:43 pm
Vernamae, the question is LARGE HAWK which is why I am stumped, I know Kite is a hawk, a graceful SMALL hawk though.
But thanks for the help :wink:
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2007 09:35 pm
Hi Mrsgreen

Have completed both puzzles in the Mighty Mega.
For 62a I have 'kite' and 103d 'press'.

I agree with you the clue is somewhat confusing but this question has come up time and time again and 'kite' was always the answer.
0 Replies

farkha

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2007 05:09 am
Sorry I am entering this a little late
Kites are raptors with long wings and weak legs which spend a great deal of time soaring. In general they will take live prey but mostly feed on carrion.
They are birds of prey which along with hawks, eagles, Old World vultures and many others are in the family Accipitridae.
Some grow very large and have been known to down unwary fighter planes.
They are certainly not considered small in my part of the world.
0 Replies

mrsgreen663

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2007 05:13 am
I do not know where you found you reference then, because the one below does not state they are a large bird at all.

2. any of several small birds of the hawk family Accipitridae that have long, pointed wings, feed on insects, carrion, reptiles, rodents, and birds, and are noted for their graceful, gliding flight. Compare black kite, swallow-tailed kite, white-tailed kite.

Kite
Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia - Cite This Source

kite, in zoology, common name for a bird of the family Accipitridae, which also includes the hawk. Kites are found near water and marshes in warm parts of the world. They prey chiefly on reptiles, frogs, and insects. The swallow-tailed, white-tailed, and Mississippi kites are found in the Gulf states and in Central and South America. The Everglade kite, Rostrhamus sociabilis, feeds exclusively on a large freshwater snail. The common kite of England, now rare, was once a scavenger in the streets of London. Kites are classified in the phylum Chordata, subphylum Vertebrata, class Aves, order Falconiformes, family Accipitridae.
0 Replies