maya

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 05:45 pm
Deptford Trilogy-Robertson Davies
0 Replies

southiegurl

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 02:55 pm
Books
I am a 14 year old girl and here are some books that I love:
The Princess Diaries by Meg Cabot (There are 5)
Gossip Girl by Cecily von Ziegesar (I think there are 5 of these)
Mates, Dates, and Inflatable Bras by Cathy Hopkins (at least 4)
The Year My Life Went Down the Loo by Katie Maxwell (2)
Sloppy Firsts by Megan McAfferty (2)
Feeling Sorry for Celia by Jaclyn Moriarty
The Year of Secret Assignments by Jaclyn Moriarty
Alice In-between by Phylis Reynolds Naylor (there are at least 10 "Alice Books")

Hope this helps. :-)
0 Replies

booklover

Reply Mon 31 May, 2004 11:20 am
Youth in Revolt by CD Payne

When I was fourteen (which now seems a lifetime ago), I was really into Ciderhouse Rules by John Irving, too. The stuff I remember liking at this age was a lot of black humor--Vonnegut, Roald Dahl, some of Gore Vidal. Depends on her maturity level, of course.

Also, Autobiography of Malcolm X was a book that made a big impression on me at about that age.
0 Replies

imdtckdkr

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2004 10:06 am
I have to interject and say that I was loving reading when I was 14. I think that I had read the Chronicles of Narnia at least 10 times already.

And of course anything that had to do with horses...so the whole Black Stallion series.
0 Replies

PotterKing

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 01:45 pm
I suggest Chicken Soup for the teenage soul.They are perfect for girls around that age.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 07:41 am
I agree with DogLover that A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith is a wonderful book for a teenage girl. I also loved Poe short stories when I was a teenager. In fact, I still do.
0 Replies

Chauncy

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2004 07:46 pm
V.C. Andrews has 4 or 5 book series that are interesting and easy to read. Nicholas Sparks may be another good suggestion, but I would try to convince her (make her a deal) to try to read a classic. I read Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte when I was 15, it was difficult but very rewarding.
0 Replies

roobarb

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 02:07 am
get her the series collectivley know as "His Dark Materials" by an English author Philip Pullman. It is a very advanced childrens/teens book that I, as an adult. found enthralling. It is complex, detailed and very very mentally stimulating. Once your daughter has read it I suggest you give it a go, I'll be amazed if you can put it down
0 Replies

Radical Edward

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 05:20 pm
I suggest "The Princess Diaries" by Meg Cabot and "Ella Enchanted" by Gail Carson Levine (my little 15 year old sister loved them all), Harry Potter of course, "Lord of the Rings" (but it may be too long for a girl that doesn't like to read...)
If she doesn't like novels, maybe she could try on short-stories Very Happy
Carver, Paley, etc... :wink:
0 Replies

misfitgirl

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 05:24 pm
ok im 15 and ive got some books that i really love that mite intrest your frends daughter they arnt too difficult but really fun to read

STARGRIL by Jerry Spinelli

Bloomability by Sharon Chreech

The Giver by Lois Lowry

Gathering Blue by Lois Lowry

i think that she will be esspecally interested in the last 2 books i mentioned they are very good
0 Replies

Radical Edward

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 06:02 pm
I also want to suggest you "Ewilan's Quest", by Pierre Bottero
(But as it is a french book ("La quĂȘte d'Ewilan"), I'm not sure it has been translated... still it is really good!)
0 Replies

ahava

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 07:15 pm
I'm an 18-year-old girl and when I was in high school I read voraciously, so here are some tips ...

I definitely second (third?) A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, by Betty Smith ... I first read it when I was 12 or 13 and it has consistently been at the top of my list ever since.

Stargirl is also a good book, as is The Misfits, though I can't recall the author's name.

One book that seems to attract a wide range of readers is Here Today by Ann M. Martin (yes, the Babysitters Club lady). My mother, my ten-year-old sister and I all read it and loved it. It's about an 11-year-old girl, and 14 is sort of an age where you don't really care much about that group (or at least, that's how I was) but it's worth a try.

Francesca Lia Block is great; she definitely deals with some adult themes, but I feel like she communicates great messages to teenagers in a really eloquent manner. Her Dangerous Angels series, also known as the Weetzie Bat books, is magnificent.

The year I started high school I read Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson, and it was my favorite book for quite a while. I also liked Hard Love by Ellen Wittlinger. I consumed Megan McCafferty's Sloppy Firsts book in one sitting at summer camp when I was 15 ... SF and its sequel, Second Helpings, are an easy read but a notch above most chicklit aimed at that age group.

More recently, I read Garret Freymann-Weyr's 'My Heartbeat', and it was also great.

And I might as well add the book I've been recommending around the clock for the past week: Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi. It's a graphic novel about the author's childhood in Iran. I think it would be a great, if heavy, book for a 13 or 14 year old (though it would be too much for, say, my aforementioned 10-year-old sister).

John Marsden I highly recommend; I really liked 'Tomorrow, When the War Began' and its sequels. I also remember loving 'The Girl Who Owned a City' by O.T. Nelson when I was a kid, but that might be a bit young for her.

Oh, and somehow I managed to skip over the Gail Carson Levine books in my book-hungry years as a young teen, but now my younger sister's getting into them and they're great. Ella Enchanted is one of my favorite books.

And of course I have to put Harry Potter out there, just in case she's had her head in a hole for the past five years and hasn't already decided against reading them. Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy are wonderful too, but a bit more difficult to start.

Caroline B. Cooney did 'The Face on the Milk Carton' as well as dozens of other books; she was my favorite in seventh and eighth grade.

I really enjoyed Feeling Sorry for Celia by Jaclyn Moriarty, which I think a 14-year-old would like too. And of course ... there's always the Princess Diaries and Georgia Nicolson books, as large as my aversion to them is.
0 Replies

Radical Edward

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2005 05:10 pm
A Series of Unfortunate Events (Lemony Snicket). 11 Books (others are comming)... Just great! (My 15 year old sister loved them, as her friends (14-16)).
0 Replies

iluvorlando313

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2005 12:57 pm
Two awesome books for that age group are So Super Starry by Rose Wilikns, and Guitar Girl by Sarra Manning. Also Some of my favorites are the Sister hood of the Traveling Pants series--Ann Brashares ( Iknow that title's a bit goofy but trust me, they r good!) I am 14 and these are all age appropriate books i believe...um and also she might enjoy Royally Jacked by Niki Burnham but thats a humor book also, and by the suggestion of The Lovely Bone which of course is quite a bit more serious than many books, im not sure what she enjoys.
0 Replies

Incubusdreams315

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 02:14 pm
Good Young Adult books
One of the best teenage authors I can recommend would be Tamora Pierce. I'm almost 21 and I have read every book she has printed. These books are about young girls growing up in a time of knights and dragons. They are sort of fantasy based, but the young girls growing up in these novels all have to overcome restrictions that have been placed on them because of their gender.

Another good author for young adults is Amelia Atwater-Rhodes. This author wrote her first book at 13. The books have vampires and witches in them. Very Happy
0 Replies

maddy42

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2006 02:07 pm
Re: Good Young Adult books
Incubusdreams315 wrote:
One of the best teenage authors I can recommend would be Tamora Pierce.

Good call!
0 Replies