Books to recommend for a teenage girl?

dream2020

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2003 10:09 am
There'a a new one out there written by a boy when he was 15, called Eregon. It's better than Harry Potter, according to some reviewers. I haven't read it, so I wouldn't offer an opinion. The llast name of the author is Paulionno, or something like that...I should go look it up.
0 Replies

Teenager86

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 01:54 am
Books for teens
The following are some good books and/or authors for teenagers -
Sword of Truth series - Terry Goodkind
Belgariad Series - David Eddings
Harry Potter series - JK Rowling
Terry Pratchett Books
Piers Anthony Books
'Saving Francesca' - Melina Marchetta (for the girls mainly)
Christopher Pike Books
0 Replies

-andrea-

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2003 11:24 am
14 is a pretty tricky age. The other day I was tidying my room and moving my kids books somewhere else so I'd have space for all the adult ones I had spread around the house. I found that most kids books that were given to me when I was 13-14 were unfinished Rolling Eyes
When I was 14 I enjoyed Mary Higgins Clack, Dean Koontz and Ken Follett. I used to read lots of biographies too.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2003 12:13 pm
Books to recommend
Hi, Andrea! Welcome to A2K.

When I was that age biographies were one of my favorite types of book, also historical novels. My mother used to read to us and to my father the books he had when he was young. They tended to be dashing adventure stories set in more romantic eras.

I also recall that we had to read "The Talisman" and "Ivanhoe"for school. I didn't like Walter Scott then, and I don't like him now. I wonder if kids today read him - either forcibly or by choice.
0 Replies

Rella

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 08:40 pm
I was about to suggest The Lovely Bones. That book is absolutely amazing. I recommended it to a couple friends, and it caught on. A few people in my school who hated to read staryed to read TLB and couldn't put it down.

But anyway...

Feeling Sorry for Celia is a bizarre, humorous book that I really enjoyed at her age. you can read an excerpt here:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0312287364/ref=lib_rd_ss_TT02/103-4695408-6390226?v=glance&s=books&vi=reader&img=3#reader-link

My favorite book at thirteen (which I still read from time to time) was Practical Magic by Alice Hoffman. If you've seen the movie, you know the basic plot, but the book is so much better, and more detailed.
0 Replies

-andrea-

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 09:36 pm
Rella wrote:
I was about to suggest The Lovely Bones. That book is absolutely amazing. I recommended it to a couple friends, and it caught on. A few people in my school who hated to read staryed to read TLB and couldn't put it down.

That's a book I would have liked at 14. Good call
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 10:29 pm
A very relevant book for teen girls is Judy Blume's FOREVER : A Novel of Good and Evil, Love and Hope. That it was first written in 1975, and is still widely read is a testament to Blume's sober handling of the subject matter. It is a candid and lucid portrayal of adolescent girls and pre-marital sex.
0 Replies

maddy42

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2003 11:27 am
Hey, I'm a 14 year old girl too and I'm currently going through the Discworld series by Pratchett as I'm a fan of fantasy, so I totally agree with tekana. Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier is also fantastic, though a different style, I loved it and would totally recomend it.
0 Replies

mahlah

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2003 07:09 am
This might be a bit late, but you should try to check out books by John Marsden. Most of his stories are told from teenage girls and they're all simply amazing. I read one of his books when i was 12 and i was stunned by it. You could try 'So much to tell you', or the 'tomorrow' series which is based on an way invasion told from a 17 yr old girl's point of view.
0 Replies

MuzikQueen79

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2004 12:52 pm
When i was around 13 or 14 i liked R.L. Stine books. When i was around 16 i really liked this one book ( and still do like) Blood & Chocolate by Annette Curtis Klause, it's about a teenage werewolf.
0 Replies

Kingfan

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2004 09:10 pm
I teach middle school, and a couple of books that have been very popular with girls I teach have been Speak, by Anderson, Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants (not sure of the author, but there is a sequel), books by Joan Bauer, particularly Rules of the Road (I thought it was boring, though) and a book told in verse/poetry titled What My Mother Doesn't Know. I read Speak and What My Mother... and thought they were both excellent.
0 Replies

putridpoems

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2004 03:30 pm
I would probebly recommend, if anything, Burger Wuss - by M.T. Anderson. This book is down-to-
earth, which is what teens need.
-KMART
0 Replies

Jarlaxle

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2004 08:21 pm
I'm way late here, but: tough to go wrong with Christopher Pike.

Also, I suggest looking into the Forgotten Realms books if she's interested in fantasy lit at all. A suggestion for the first series would be The Avatar Trilogy (Shadowdale, Tantras, Waterdeep, The Prince of Lies, Crucible: Trial of Cyric the Mad-in that order) by Scott Ciencen (sp?) & James Lowder (first three were published under the pen name Richard Awlinson).

R. A. Salvatore's Dark Elf books are excellent (they got me started on the Realms), but might be a little, well, DARK (literally & figuratively) for a 14 year old.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 05:33 pm
For the first time ever, a Judy Blume book is being developed as a feature film, with options on others.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 05:50 pm
I was walking around A2K and I happened to notice this thread -- Book recommendations for a teenager girl.

I believe I can be of some assistance here. Have you read this book?

http://www.simegen.com/romance/spotlights/0201/husband.jpg

It's fantastic! The woman on the chair has acquired the guy on the beach through an 1-800 agency. He's now her husband! The adventures they go through on the way, the joy, the sorrow, the mystery, it all adds up to a fun-filled romp that will leave you breathless.

Please read this book! It is nothing less than epic.
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 05:55 pm
How about 'Lolita'.

Seriously, I would recommend 'A Tree Grows In Brooklyn'
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 10:03 pm
"Watershipdown"
0 Replies

carrie

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 06:06 am
Any Roald Dahl....some are more complex than others...I loved them and still find I can read them now.

Also books like the Water Babies, Z for Zachariah, Carrie's War, Charlotte's Web...some a bit younger than others but all good. They stick in my mind anyway!
0 Replies

carrie

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 06:08 am
Just thought, the classics are always good...Oliver Twist etc.

Adrian Mole: Following the life of a teenager to adulthood. Very good one! Bridget Jones?
0 Replies

maya

Reply Sun 16 May, 2004 10:32 am
How Green Was My Valley
0 Replies