Thinking about atoms...

Dedshaw

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 07:51 pm
Supply and demand is one of the hardest things to overcome. Such elements as titanium are very strong and would be useful if only there was more of it, but since theres so little of titanium and its hard to find and mine etc, we don't waste it as much. But what if there was a way to overcome this problem...and not only just supply and demand and solve other problems as well? Basically where im gettin at...is since elements are made up of nothing but atoms. and atoms are made up of nothing but protons, electrons, and neutrons, and quarks even further then that but im not well informed about quarks. what if there was a way to rebuild atoms, on a mass scale, and then go on from there? do you think there is a way to make a titanium atom, fast, en masse and solve supply and demand? also if this can be done think about in space, we could make oxygen atoms so we wouldn't requirer a planet to have plants or soil for plants to thrive to make oxygen....we would be making our own oxygen, then colonizing planets wouldn't be too far away in the future...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,127 • Replies: 11
No top replies

roger

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 07:57 pm
I like it! Sort of a Transmutation of Elements, kind of. Turn lead into gold and buy all the titanium you want.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 08:06 pm
I will have to admit I screwed up when I participated in the poll. What happened was I saw the title of the thread, "Thinking of Atoms" and as it turns I was thinking of atoms at the time, and then I saw the "Yes" or "No" options and since, as I said, I was thinking of atoms at the time, I obviously hit the "Yes" option, and then, to my horror, I realized there was much more depth to the question and I desperately scrambled to undo the damage I had done, but it was too late.

I collapsed onto my keyboard, breathing heavily and wiping the sweat which was now pouring off my body in torrents and as I was wiping the sweat away my elbows were hitting the keyboard causing me to type this..

piuaijnn
pvcxm

****. I've really screwed thing up here. God damned it. I'm sorry.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 08:18 pm
I know just what you mean, gus.

Hey, I had two semesters of General Alchemy in college. Maybe I shoud be putting it to use.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 08:27 pm
http://media.scout.com/Media/Player/261841_Z.JPG

You are looking at Jared Zabransky, quarterback for the Boise State Broncos.

Why am I posting his picture, you ask? Simple. Jared is considered the foremost expert on atoms in the country today and is thus more than applicable to the subject at hand.

As soon as I get back from the store I will call Jared and ask him about this atom business stuff.

I will return with his reply.
0 Replies

Dedshaw

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 08:32 pm
lol gus if i knew who you are i would just have to shake your hand, after ur first post i just had to see your other witty remarks on other peopl'es threads, i for one must say you need a medal for the sense of humor u have developed....good day Razz
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 08:36 pm
Dedshaw wrote:
lol gus if i knew who you are i would just have to shake your hand, after ur first post i just had to see your other witty remarks on other peopl'es threads, i for one must say you need a medal for the sense of humor u have developed....good day Razz

A "just hatched" person made it his job to research what kind of poster Gus is. I myself didn't catch on until way past 1,000 posts.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 08:45 pm
Re: Thinking about atoms...
Dedshaw wrote:
Supply and demand is one of the hardest things to overcome. Such elements as titanium are very strong and would be useful if only there was more of it, but since theres so little of titanium and its hard to find and mine etc, we don't waste it as much. But what if there was a way to overcome this problem...and not only just supply and demand and solve other problems as well? Basically where im gettin at...is since elements are made up of nothing but atoms. and atoms are made up of nothing but protons, electrons, and neutrons, and quarks even further then that but im not well informed about quarks. what if there was a way to rebuild atoms, on a mass scale, and then go on from there? do you think there is a way to make a titanium atom, fast, en masse and solve supply and demand? also if this can be done think about in space, we could make oxygen atoms so we wouldn't requirer a planet to have plants or soil for plants to thrive to make oxygen....we would be making our own oxygen, then colonizing planets wouldn't be too far away in the future...

It has been done (the transmutation part anyway). This is exactly how the man-made elements have been created. Doing it however, is pretty easy with the commonly available elements and extremely hard for the rare elements. I'd have to guess that those elements that are common in nature are that way exactly because the transmutation is so easy. For those that are more difficult they typiclaly use a particle accelerator in a lab somewhere.

The problem of course, is getting this done with useful elements on a measure of scale that makes it worth doing at a reasonable cost. I dunno what particle accelerators are going for nowadays. Mebbe Gus will tell us how much he paid for his. Wink
0 Replies

Dedshaw

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 08:50 pm
o yea somthin else i forgot to mention, like transmution would work , but would it be possible to just do it from scratch? like not have an element to work with in the first place and just go from there...opinons?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 08:58 pm
Dedshaw wrote:
o yea somthin else i forgot to mention, like transmution would work , but would it be possible to just do it from scratch? like not have an element to work with in the first place and just go from there...opinons?

Errr.. You have to have something to start with. Matter can't be created from nothing. You can transform matter from one form to another but it has to be there to begin with. That starting matter doesn't need to be in a raw elemental form though. Ya know, Zero Theory and all that silly stuff.
0 Replies

g day

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2007 10:00 pm
Answer - technically possible yes, economically possible - absolutely not.

You're talking fusion here to turn things light Hydrogen into heavier elements. To get much beyond nitrogen or carbon you're talking fusion levels like a supernovae.

So I see a slight problem in where to do this and how to sustain the reaction without getting burnt toes - for everyone closer to us than Jupiter.
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 12:36 am
I watched an interview with Glenn Seaborg, {probably on NOVA, early, mid 80's} and he gave the actual dollar amount, per ounce, of what it would cost for his team to transmute lead into gold, based on the time and energy they had spent during his experiment.

But I have no idea what the amount was, nor do I see it listed anywhere online.
0 Replies