Cat’s butt smells

Chumly

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 02:42 pm
My cat's butt smells. I did a search on anal sacs and it seems that is the cause. Indications are that he is in good heath. I understand some cats have anal sacs that do not fully close all the time and/or will express this fluid when frightened or nervous.

He is an exceedingly nervous animal, and if you pick him up you may well note the expression of some anal sac fluid. I have just de-wormed him and changed his diet to a higher fiber lower protein food but I'm not holding out much hope for a stink free cat.

AFAICT he was not prone to stink butt, and he was less nervous when his sister was with him, but she has been consumed by a bobcat / coyote. There is no fecal matter collecting on his anus, and his stools are quite normal etc. There is no anal sac disease that I can discern.

Any additional thoughts?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 43,757 • Replies: 40
No top replies

Chai

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 02:52 pm
OK, this is really gross, but you can express them yourself.

When I took Lulu to the vet once, she told me her anal glands were clogged, and showed me how to express them.

You can take your cat to the vet and let them do it, I don't know how often you'd have to take the cat.

To put it mildly, a cat doesn't like having that done. I can't advise you on how to hold the cat, but be prepared to have to give it at least an ass bath afterwards.

The first time I did it, I was AMAZED at the amount of stuff that came out, I actually got frightened because it didn't look like it was going to stop. Have tons of kleenex around, it honestly seems like about half a teaspoon of yuck came out of each side. All the while, Lulu was going bezerk.

After that, it was more under control

The odor? I can't even begin to describe.

Sorry this is so disgusting, but there's no way around it.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 02:57 pm
I'd take the cat in.

It can be messy, stinky and if the cat freaks it can end up in places you'd rather not have it.

I think it's worth the money to have a professional do it in a place where if the stink embeds itself, you don't have to smell it.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 03:06 pm
Smelly cat, smelly cat
What are they feeding you?
Smelly cat, smelly cat,
it's not your fault!
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 03:08 pm
I guess the sacs could be clogged, but from what I have read so far some cats are simply prone to "expressing" themselves due to fear and/or sac openings not fully closing. As I mentioned if you pick him up (and look at his butt while doing so) you can see the fluid being expelled.

The fluid is the correct color and consistency, and the fact that it can be so readily expelled of his own volition suggests the sacs are not clogged. But I could be wrong, and I did read about expressing them - oh joy!

FWIW this cat is by far the most fearful / high-strung animal I've ever owned. It's always hiding under beds, scurrying about, and howling to be let in or out.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 03:17 pm
mmm hmmm...I had a cat like that, Lulu's sister in fact.

No way would I have fooled around with her. It was like she was possessed.

maybe the cat needs, well, not exactly tranquilizers, but something to take the edge off?

She can't be very happy either.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 03:19 pm
I thought this thread was a joke. I read the whole thing. Now I'm friggin scared for life.

What is this? some kind of sicko cat butt fetish? Amigos outta here!
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 03:26 pm
I'm not saying the below is the case for sure, but I have my suspicions because of his nervousness and that a high powered light and magnifying glass revealed no problems.
Quote:
Some cats are born with anal canals that do not close well. These cats are constantly draining anal sac fluid and leaving a foul-smelling drop wherever they have been. This is another indication for anal sac removal. There does not appear to be any other way to stop this, and these cats do not outgrow this problem.
http://www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/analsac.html
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 03:32 pm
Hi Chai,
You're right about the sorryful beast never being very happy and really hard to catch, let alone administering anal inspections. He is locked up in a bathroom for a few days while I try and sort things out.

To all,
Thanks for the posts, I'll let you know how things go (or don't go)!
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 03:33 pm
Looks like your kitty is having butt surgery.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 03:34 pm
Jesus christ people actually own these animals?
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 03:39 pm
Anal Retentive and Wondering
0 Replies

caribou

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 04:16 pm
I have a friend who used to work at a groomers. When she would bathe the animals (dogs have them, too), she would squeeze their anal glands. A complete bathing, let's say.
Dogs apparently liked having their glands squeezed according to her.
I can't remember her talking about cats liking it, but I could have taken my mind elsewhere by then...

Oh, so my point, maybe a groomers? Ask them if they do it?
With such a nervous cat (I've had them myself), maybe a discussion with a nice vet about the glands and about the overall nervousness?

I think there's homeopathic animal relaxers out there. Maybe they would help...and maybe they can be added to food? I don't know much about them, except some people say they work.

I hate trying to give my cat any medicine, it becomes a battle of wills that she usually bests me on.

I wish you luck and an easy solution for your stink-butt.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 04:30 pm
Dogs like that?

kinky.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 05:16 pm
So, if I haven't had a problem with cat stink-butt in 5+ years of having my cats, I probably won't have to worry? (Please be no)
Chumly

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 05:50 pm
I don't know 'bout that. From what little I know, it can become a problem even if it was not before. My cat did not seem to have stink-butt 'till the sister was eaten by a coyote / bobcat, now it's stressed and spooked and stinky.

If I pick it up while watching it's butt closely, you can actually see the anal sacs kind'a leak, if the cat gets stressed. It gets stressed by almost anything it seems
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 06:33 pm
snood wrote:
So, if I haven't had a problem with cat stink-butt in 5+ years of having my cats, I probably won't have to worry? (Please be no)

uh oh....you're way overdue....better put on the hazmat suit.

and get a tranquilizer gun.

and put your phaser on stun.

One's for you, one for the cat, take your pick which.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 06:35 pm
C'mon - you sayin this is an inevitable condition, at some point? Yer kiddin, right?
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 06:36 pm
We just wanna see you in a hazmat suit. Post pics.

Er, no reason.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 06:37 pm
But, can cats live non-stinkbut lives?
0 Replies