Budapest? Prague? best day trip choice?

ehBeth

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 07:15 pm
I'm working on organizing a late October/early November trip to Vienna for my friend E and me.

The travel company we're going through offers really great add-on trips if you book from here ($100 - $150 Cdn for the flight and first night in a 3 or 4* hotel, and even cheaper additional nights).

The cities we're considering are : Budapest; Prague; Salzburg; Innsbruck, Graz and Klagenfurt.

Any recommendations for one of these above the other? What's doing? Where? Any of them totally avoidable?

Help!

pleeeeeeeease
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,978 • Replies: 20
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 07:27 pm
Of those I've been to Prague and Salzburg. I liked both, but adored Prague. It has layers upon layers.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 07:28 pm
Mmmm, I'd have to go with Prague I think. Budapest is beautiful too, but if you have to choose one of the two, Prague is da shiznit. Bring an electric zapper against all the tourists though. Well, depending on when exactly you'll be there I suppose. And they're everywhere, Budapest just as well.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 07:41 pm
Since the prices drop rather drastically November 1st, I suspect the tourist crowd situation won't be too dire.

ok - 2 for Prague

Is one of the options more of an East-West transition - culturally?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 08:13 pm
I went to both in very early (March? I forget) gloomy spring, and Salzburg was much prettier and quainter and seemed to cater to tourists a lot. Prague was more just doing its own thing, vaguely distrustful/ annoyed by tourists.

Some amazing stylistic transitions between gorgeous old Prague and gray, hulking, forbidding Communist "new" (not so new anymore) Prague. "New" Prague was more of a culture shock for me (stayed in a youth hostel there, dingy dingy).
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 08:30 pm
Budapest! I'd say Budapest first, Prague second, the rest doesnt compete.

OK, I havent actually been to any of the rest. But I'm sure they dont compete anyway Razz

Depends though. If you're really just going for the one day, Prague might be better. It gives itself readily, so to say - its an instant hit. You walk through the old town, across the Charles Bridge, up the Castle Hill - you know, the first things you'd do as a tourist - and it just serves its charm up to you in eager helpings.

Budapest's sights are further apart from each other, and apart from the obvious (eg Castle Hill), the city's charms give themselves a little less readily. Example: the river. The Danube is broad and mighty, but in most places there's a tramway and busy road separating the pedestrian part from the actual riverside. In Prague, you can stroll along the very waterside and there's swans. It's like they're cheating.

But seasons matter. In high season, Prague is infested with tourists. The above-mentioned areas feel almost like you're walking through some fair, at least on the main streets, its really not fun anymore. Probably got to do not just with the number of tourists, but with the ratio residents:tourists in a given place - Paris or London seem to absorb or disperse them better. Budapest rarely ever feels that way.

But in low season all thats much less of an issue.

Hmmm... ok.. <this is costing me trouble to say> .. if it's in November, just for the one day.. perhaps Prague.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 08:40 pm
Oh, re cultural East-West transition - I cant imagine that playing much of a role anymore. Yes, Vienna is more dolled up, you know, every house in perfect cosy colour - while in Budapest you may still find the odd house with bulletholes from 56 or 45, say. But the people who work in hotels, cafes, restaurants or tourist shops - well, they're much the same in every large city, arent they.

Communist-era suburbs are another matter, of course (I once stayed in this "sport hotel" in Chodov..). But since you're talking 3- or 4-star hotels, that shouldnt come into play.

Did you see my reply to you on the Hungary thread, btw?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2007 01:11 am
Prague really is very nice - if you don't find drunken British to much disturbing. (Since it's especially cheap in October/November, there are even more there at that time).

Graz, Klagenfurt, Salzburg are really nice places - when you are on an Austria holiday - and especially in summer. Inssbrück is fine in winter as well (as are the three others).

If you only have one choice, I'm with nimh and Budapest.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2007 01:25 am
I've never been to Prague, but agree with Nimh re. Budapest.

I've recently seen a TV programme about the drunken Brits in Prague making a bit of a nuisance of themselves, which obviously makes me feel proud.
It would seem that it's the "in" destination for "Stag" weekends for our young lads.
Cheap flights, cheap beer (well, cheaper than Britain) and lots of interesting girls waiting for them, who are usually paid by the hour.

The programme featured this website (one of many) which apparently demonstrates how "Prague is the new Amsterdam".

Ho hum.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2007 01:33 am
Exactly why I finally came to my response, LE. :wink:
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2007 09:44 am
Ooh. I was there (Prague) something like 15 years ago (geesh, is that possible?), so my impressions may be out of date. No drunken Brits to speak of at the time.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2007 09:52 am
Yes, Prague got dolled up, too.

I think nimh concluded, however, that if it's for one day, Prague might be easier to do... It is kinda instant. You just walk through it. In Budapest you have to work for it a bit. I have grown closer to Budapest than Prague myself, but I, too, think that Prague is easier.
There is a cheap but clean hostel on Opletalova Street - just between Masaryk and Main train stations (i think the number is 38, anyway it's the third school of medicine)...but it sure ain't a three star facility. i think showers are common, for example. but it's a perfect choice for finer backpackers and such...
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2007 09:53 am
Krakow seems to become "the new Prague" - drinks are there even cheaper.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2007 09:58 am
Krakow is beautiful, but rather small. There are always the salt mines and Auschwitz nearby, hence things to do... I find it very similar to Bratislava in its atmostphere - hill with a castle, river...all that.... And Bratislava is less than one hour away from Vienna. :wink: You can just hop on a train, be there in an hour, spend a night and off you go to Prague in the morning. Or Budapest. It's close to everything. It's the bellybutton of the world really.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2007 10:04 am
Rolling Eyes just sayin.... not suggesting anything...

http://www.digicamera.net/galleria/m_bratislava/images/thumbbratislava.jpg
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2007 10:13 am
Whats the colorful pile of a building in the pictures in the top row?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2007 11:21 am
More to think about.

Thanks!

Given how inexpensive the options are, we'd probably do Budapest/Prague/whatever for a couple of days. Bratislava's a quick train ride away - so it could be a separate day trip.

mulling
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2007 01:07 pm
nimh, that's some new hostel of some sort in Blava.

Bethie, people come even for fun night out to Blava - dinner and drinks are still faaaar cheaper than in Vienna. Train tickets, too, but that won't help you much...since you are going from Vienna and all... anyhooo, whatever you do I'm sure it will be tremendous fun.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2007 01:44 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
nimh, that's some new hostel of some sort in Blava.

http://www.traveljournals.net/pictures/l/0/7110-toontown-hostel-bratislava-slovakia.jpg

"Toontown hostel"
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 06:16 pm
Just to plop something random here..

Hold the press! Radio Prague has breaking news:

Quote:
But that advance will surely be overshadowed by the opening of a completely new line, an issue I discussed with Radovan Steiner, the Prague city councilor responsible for transportation.

"Yes, the fourth line of the Prague underground, the D or 'blue' line, has been in planning, or has been envisaged, for decades. We are now planning to, let's say, take some concrete steps towards starting up with this new line within two to three years time."

Planning to, let's say, take some concrete steps towards starting up within two to three years time. Hold the date.
0 Replies