Reply Sun 18 Feb, 2007 09:11 pm
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,313 • Replies: 28
No top replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 18 Feb, 2007 09:13 pm
I saw that story earlier today. Hard to believe such a thing could happen. I'm going to chalk it up as "urban legend."
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sun 18 Feb, 2007 09:17 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
I saw that story earlier today. Hard to believe such a thing could happen. I'm going to chalk it up as "urban legend."

Don't, a few years ago in Oz the skeletal remains of a woman were found in her home more than 3 years after she'd died.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 18 Feb, 2007 09:20 pm
But was her tv on, wilso? Did she live in a crowded apartment building? Were her neighbors olfactory-challenged?
0 Replies

Bohne

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 03:53 am
I could believe that...
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 04:15 am
Didn't the mail kinda build up? That would be hard to miss.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 05:23 am
What about the utility bills? That television set wasn't running on a paid-for battery.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 06:21 am
Noddy24 wrote:
What about the utility bills? That television set wasn't running on a paid-for battery.

If the man had some money in the bank, the utility and other bills could have been paid automatically. His social security check could have been put into the bank through automatic deposit.

It still is a wild story. Even if the person just got junk mail, you would think that the postman would have noticed!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 06:49 am
After a time, the mail gets returned to the post office. I don't know that any action would have been taken there, if the letter carrier didn't know the man. Anyway, it was a news item, true or false.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 07:23 am
Wonder what kind of TV it was? I bet it was a Sony. They're reliable units.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 07:26 am
Even if the letter carrier noticed, most peoples first thought is that an older person who doesnt appear to be home for a while is either in the hospital, or maybe a nursing home. Or staying with their family.

it isnt typical for someone to think " He has not checked his mail in 2 days, he might be dead"
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 09:14 am
One day the mummified body of one of our own will be found at their screen.... waiting for A2K to load....
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 11:02 am
RP's folks go to Hampton Bays. But they're both accounted for, whew.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 11:26 am
First thing I thought about reading this is remembering my aunt betty. she was married to homer whose idea of an active life-style was fixing his own cup of coffee. So one monday morning my aunt betty got up and found homer dead in his recliner with the telly on (heart attack) well, my aunt betty noting that it was monday and she always cleans house on monday proceeded to dust and mop and do the laundry and when she was done with all those chores, she called 911 (early afternoon) she explained to me that she always cleans house on mondays and what the hell he was dead anyway.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 12:01 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
Even if the letter carrier noticed, most peoples first thought is that an older person who doesnt appear to be home for a while is either in the hospital, or maybe a nursing home. Or staying with their family.

it isnt typical for someone to think " He has not checked his mail in 2 days, he might be dead"

When I was working at a nursing home, one of the resident "Marge" was looking preoccupied one day. We got to talking and she said her son hadn't been by to see her that morning, and he ALWAYS came on Tuesday morning. I asked her when he was supposed to visit again, and she said, "Oh, he always comes Tuesday mornings and Thurday and Friday afternoon" I suggestest he maybe got busy and would be by on Thursday.
Well, Wednesday morning when I got to work, she just looked so upset I called the police to ask them to go by the house and check it out.

Yep, you guessed it.
He'd aparantly been dead since Monday.

We sat down together and I told her. Her son was in his 70's so in truth, after she got over the initial shock, she came to terms with it surprisingly quickly. For a while though, she'd say "I wish I'd called him on Monday. I know it wouldn't have made any difference, but I wished I'd called him."

I felt really guilty for not calling the police when she first said something, and told her. Again, not like that would have made any difference, but I wish I'd called them.

To everyone out there. If you don't see someone, young or old, for a while, make that call. Don't be embarrassed.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 12:09 pm
dyslexia wrote:
First thing I thought about reading this is remembering my aunt betty. she was married to homer whose idea of an active life-style was fixing his own cup of coffee. So one monday morning my aunt betty got up and found homer dead in his recliner with the telly on (heart attack) well, my aunt betty noting that it was monday and she always cleans house on monday proceeded to dust and mop and do the laundry and when she was done with all those chores, she called 911 (early afternoon) she explained to me that she always cleans house on mondays and what the hell he was dead anyway.

You know dys, this actually makes perfect sense to me.

You've been with someone forever, and shared your entire life. In many situations people end up in the hospital and that's where they die. The spouse may be there in the last moments, but then the staff comes in, discovers the body, and frankly, wants to get the room cleaned up and ready for another patient. They'll give you a few minutes with your loved one, but then you're out.

If you're home and find your mate obviously dead, and immediately call 911, they'll come, cart the body off, and in an instant, your life is completely changed and you're alone.

What does it matter if you wait a few hours to call 911? Better that you have the time you need to say goodbye, and not do it by someone elses schedule.

I think your aunts cleaning the house was her way of dealing with the loss. Shock, grief, a dirty kitchen floor. It gave her a purpose. If (when) I find my husband died, I'll wait for a while before I have a bunch of strangers come in my house and take my darling away.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 02:10 pm
Chai wrote:

What does it matter if you wait a few hours to call 911? Better that you have the time you need to say goodbye, and not do it by someone elses schedule.

exactly.

When I found FIL dead, I knew right away he had been there at LEAST 8 hours. So, there was nothing that could be done to save him.
And I , very frankly, told this to MIL. And I also told her that, she needed to just take her time with calling 911 and that i was not going to call them right away because all they would do, is cart him off with very little ability to give "peace" and respect.

Instead, when it was time to call them, they called the police, homicide, and taped off the entire house making a HUGE scene.

FIL had a small scratch on his forehead. He hit the keyboard on the way to the ground.
A tiny drop , about the size of a pencil lead, of blood was there. So they called and reported it... as they should.. instead.. it got blown outof proportion.

So what was supposed to be a semi-empowering moment for my husband and his mother ( calling 911 when they were ready instead of immediately) turned into a possible murder investigation.

Granted.. this was an odd situation to begin with.

But this is just my long winded answer ..wich amounts to.. " Yeah I can see why she finished her routine first as well. "
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 02:21 pm
So like, your MIL killed your FIL with a sharpened pencil thrust through his forehead?

Wow.

I'm tellin'
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 02:30 pm
I wouldn't.

I would be scared. ****, she didn't even break the BONE.

that is one dangerous bitch.

but then again.. I never DID check the seams of his shirt for magnets.. Confused
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 02:39 pm
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
Wonder what kind of TV it was? I bet it was a Sony. They're reliable units.

Panasonic, too, maybe. My grandmother had a Panasonic which she gave me after she had had it for about six or seven years. I had it for the next 19 years. Great little tv--i even managed to sell it for $10 when it was 25 years old or older.
0 Replies