Retinal scanners being installed at the airport

Cyracuz

Reply Thu 15 Feb, 2007 07:37 pm
I heard that at our local backwater airport they're going to install retinal scanners. I don't know why, but this scares me. I have no reason to fear being identified, but there it is.

Probably just because retinal scanners is something I've only heard of in sci-fi stories of societies with super surveilance, or in top secret laboratories.

But are retinal scanners a threat to personal freedom?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 846 • Replies: 9
No top replies

cello

Reply Fri 16 Feb, 2007 06:35 am
What are those, Cyracuz? Do they scan your eyes? Are they safe (they always say yes)? Some people travel a lot for business, so in the long run ...
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Fri 16 Feb, 2007 07:37 am
Well, it always scares me when I hear of new ways to map our every place and movement. It's a matter of who has the information - but no matter who, humans are mischeivious little things and always cause trouble.

I did see a surveillance video about world wide systems - London being a big feature. Retinal scanning in airports was also featured.

Why the up in security? Personally I am interested to learn more about it, and I do think it is worthy of healthy skepticism and questioning.

To be fair, most new technology being used for security purposes and surveillance gets this reaction from me. :wink: I don't like it on principle and by 'gut'...but that doesn't mean I am always right about it.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 16 Feb, 2007 07:41 am
They started using new passports embedded with a micro chip (in Oz) as a trial. They were mainly cabin crew who were using them due to the amount they travel. All reports were that they were really happy with them because they speeded the whole process up. If you're not doing anything wrong, then I can't imagine what the problem with retinal scanners could be.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 16 Feb, 2007 07:52 am
Doesn't bother me, so long as it's safe. Safe meaning, as in repeated use and no short or long term effects.

When they start invading my private home, then I'll flip. But for general public security in this world of wackos, I'll scan whatever you want.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 16 Feb, 2007 08:03 am
Theoretically, I think that it is a great idea. I wonder if there have been any medical studies on the effects of retinas being scanned multiple times, as with a crew member, or a very frequent flyer.

Remember, years ago, someone had the dandy idea of fitting shoes through fluroscopy!

http://www.dshs.state.tx.us/radiation/history.shtm
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 16 Feb, 2007 08:12 am
Re: Retinal scanners being installed at the airport
Cyracuz wrote:
But are retinal scanners a threat to personal freedom?

I don't see how the scanners would be any more of an infringement on personal freedom than being asked to show a photo ID would be.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 16 Feb, 2007 08:17 am
Yeah, we've all seen this coming for decades.

I'm surprised its use is not already widespread.
0 Replies

cello

Reply Sat 17 Feb, 2007 07:52 am
For those who don't know what it does, here is a link:

http://ctl.ncsc.dni.us/biomet%20web/BMRetinal.html

No description about safety though.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 17 Feb, 2007 08:00 am
I wish that they would discover that the best and only really efficient way to identify and keep records on people would be a close up scan of the concentric rings of muscle around the anus.... then these nosy Orwellian bastards could stick their noses up close and personal to everyones ass hole and see how they liked that, although at the highest levels of D
C they would probably get off on it.
0 Replies