In Time for Valentine's Day: Real Romance Stories

Reply Thu 8 Feb, 2007 04:34 pm
I just came from Starbucks, where I was having coffee and working on my income tax return in order to while away some time until the after school rush for the library computers ended. I was at a tiny table and an older man on one of those senior citizen scooters came in. He was headed toward two men at the next table -- one a regular -- and I moved the vacant chair next to me in under the table to make room for his scooter.

He then turned to me and asked whether I was married and I said no (he is quite old and obviously harmless) and he then asked me to meet him at such and such church in Malden on Saturday and to wear white.

The guy just talked and talked. Then he told me of how, 55 years ago, he was in the middle of divorcing his first wife and was engaged to another woman. His divorce dragged on and he had to tell his fiance that his wedding needed to be postponed. The mother of the bride then took the woman away. He traced her to Minn and followed her up there but the mother wouldn't let him see her. The next day, the house was empty and although he tried to find, he couldn't. He returned to Chicago and tried to find her for a time and then resumed his life.

It turns out, he had a daughter by this woman who contacted him this past year. He gave me all sorts of names and I googled them. The story is true.

Anyone else heard any great romantic stories?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 759 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 8 Feb, 2007 06:05 pm
I hope dog stories count.

A few years back my neighbors got divorced. It was a rather peaceful divorce and they divided things up fairly evenly. The division included Bonnie and Clyde, two basset hounds that had lived together for at least 5 years. The wife got Bonnie and the house, the husband got Clyde, the trucks and the big screen TV. The husband moved into a rental house a couple of towns away. Within 24 hours of the husband's departure Bonnie was out in yard baying away in what really sounded like sorrow. This went on for days, and my neighbor even came over to apologize and offered to lock the dog's doggie door during the day so she couldn't get out and start baying. The dogs were kept on the property by a flagged electric ground wire and I didn't want to make things worse for the animal by having her locked in, so I said I could deal with it. It was just very sad because we knew she was baying for her lost beau.

This went on for well over a week and then one day I was out and noticed the dog had gotten quiet. I thought she either howled herself to death or became resigned to her fate as a grass widow. Later in the afternoon I walking my dogs by the trail that goes by my neighbor's house and what do I see but Bonnie and Clyde curled up together taking a snooze on the sunny porch. I immediately assumed the husband brought Clyde back for either a visit or permanently as a last resort to shut up Bonnie.

Well, it wasn't that simple. Clyde apparently popped through the electrical charge at his new home, ran through a stocked cow pasture- complete with bull, various corn fields, crossed two major roads, dozens of back roads, past a strip mall (where he was spotted) and finally found his way home from a place he had never been before. He too had been baying his heart out miles away and was determined to get back to his darling. My neighbors smartly realized it was cruel to keep the lovers apart and decided to share custody so that the dogs were moved back and forth as a pair instead of always separated. Love can conquer all.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 8 Feb, 2007 06:24 pm
Ooooohhhhh, this is a good one I just ran into. Building stopped at an Italian construction site when two skeletons were found. They were wrapped in an embrace - no one knows why/how/etc.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6338751.stm

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/42549000/jpg/_42549941_long_body_ap.jpg
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 9 Feb, 2007 03:46 pm
Greenwitch -- Those poor little doggies were amazing. Great story.

littlek -- The skeletons are eye-popping. They are in Romeo and Juliet territory, although they are very early. Maybe the towns of Verona and Mantua are fatal to young lovers!

Really interesting stuff. I loved the BBC site.
0 Replies