What's the deal with Poincare?

stuh505

Reply Mon 5 Feb, 2007 10:09 pm
This is a rather interesting article ...but I don't get what's the big deal. The article says that it is not only famous, but important.

Important how? I mean, I see how it could be used to make some quirky morphing animations...but that's not really important, and according to the article they already had the algorithm to do it, now they just want to "prove" it.

I can't imagine how knowing that any closed surface in an arbitrary dimension can be mapped as the same way as another surface with the same number of holes can really be used to say anything important about spacetime or string theory, but I assume there is some obscure unconving relationship that this can be used to cobble together...but please do explain, if you know it!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 705 • Replies: 1
No top replies

High Seas

Reply Wed 7 Feb, 2007 12:22 pm
Stuh - not sure how technical you're looking for, so this may do:
http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/math/pdf/0610/0610903.pdf
There was an article in The New Yorker as well, some time ago.

From what I could understand (not being a topology expert) the proof of Poincare's conjecture clears up new ways to calculate nonlinear PDEs; that's a major advance in and of itself.
0 Replies