ears
ecru
eery
eire
errs
0 Replies

Cafta

Reply Sun 4 Feb, 2007 07:04 am
Thanks for your input. Possibly "eery" as an alternative spelling to eerie?
Or it could be "errs" as wikipedia lists ? as an error in chess. But these do appear obscure! I think I'll go with eery.
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Wed 7 Feb, 2007 05:45 pm
Hi Cafta

I struck the same problem as you! From the outset I'd thought that clue was incorrect and felt a gremlin had found its way into the works, particularly as four additional clues are mentioned which have no bearing at all with the "Touch of Blue Puzzle.

Did sent an e-mail to the crossword club and just had their reply. It is indeed a printing typo. The question mark should have been the sign for the European Euro. So there is your answer for 3d "EURO".

Hope I saved you a headache. Laughing

Regards Dutchy.
0 Replies

Cafta

Reply Thu 8 Feb, 2007 01:31 am
Thanks Dutchy, appreciate your input.
0 Replies

sumi

Reply Sat 10 Feb, 2007 08:41 pm
Thanks, Dutchy.

I have also been sifting through all my dictionaries looking for E-R- words!!!

Was about to put in a request when I saw your answer.
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Sat 10 Feb, 2007 08:44 pm
My pleasure sumi, I know it has many members baffled!

Regards Dutchy
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 11 Feb, 2007 01:47 pm
Dutchy wrote:
It is indeed a printing typo. The question mark should have been the sign for the European Euro. So there is your answer for 3d "EURO"

Well, do you know, the first time I saw that clue with the blanks I thought of "euro".
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Sun 11 Feb, 2007 02:10 pm
Well, do you know, the first time I saw that clue with the blanks I thought of "euro".[/quote]

You should have replied to Cafta's first cry for help, would have saved me writing an e-mail Laughing
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Mon 12 Feb, 2007 04:32 am
Dutchy wrote:

Contrex wrote:

Well, do you know, the first time I saw that clue with the blanks I thought of "euro".

You should have replied to Cafta's first cry for help, would have saved me writing an e-mail

Well, considering the clue given was a single question mark, I don't see that I should. What I meant was, I saw the partial solution, E?R? and it flashed into my mind that the word euro would fit. Maybe that's because I live in Europe and see it every time I buy something. It seems the correct clue was '€'. (That's the euro symbol in case it doesn't show up). Incidentally, the word 'euro', meaning the European currency, is spelled like that, with a small letter 'e' at the beginning.

In fact I did reply to Cafta's first cry for help, I was the first to do so, as you will see if you look back.

What i did was, I Googled for a crossword solver web site, there are plenty of them, where you tell it the number of letters, 4 in this case, and supply the letters you have in the right places, so I typed in the first E and the third letter, R, and it gave me a list of all words it knew of that fitted. (But not 'euro'.)

This shows two things.

1. A lot of people who ask questions on Able2know would benefit from knowing about Google. (I have often thought this. many is the time I have seen a question on here, done a quick Google, found the answer, posted it up, and had an ecstatic "Thank you so much! I've been trying for ages to find this answer" type reply.)

2. Some crossword solver sites are not updated very often.
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Mon 12 Feb, 2007 06:14 am
Hi contrex

Thank you for your input, I think the points you made are very valid, particularly the "Google" suggestion. I use it a lot and have learned if you frame your questions correctly, in most cases you'll find what you are looking for.

I have lots of other sites, search engines which I use, but when you get a question like the one we are discussing, it make things very hard if not impossible.

Have a nice day.

Regards Dutchy.
0 Replies

podsplay

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2007 09:42 pm
james bond - crossword club
Thanks to all who helped with the question mark clue. I have another one I just can't get 13A In the movie Live and Let Die, Bond's gadget was a rolex watch with magnetic field and saw edged -e-e-. I think the answer should be blade but it just won't fit. Can anyone hep please?
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2007 09:49 pm
Hi podsplay

The answer I located for 13a is 'bezel'.

Hope this helps.
0 Replies

podsplay

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2007 10:06 pm
james bond
Thanks Dutchy your help is always appreciated.
0 Replies