Is my dog illegal!

liam175

Reply Tue 30 Jan, 2007 10:20 am
I have a pittbull crossed with a staff some people tell me he will get taken off me but other people have said he is ok sinse he is only half pittbull

CAN ANYONE TELL ME PLEASE!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 495 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 30 Jan, 2007 10:42 am
It depends on your particular town. Each has it owns laws. I would imagine you would need to get a liscence for him - what have you put down as his breed? Right there the town would know if he was legal or not.

You could call the local MSPCA, I would imagine they would know.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 30 Jan, 2007 10:44 am
Are you living in the UK, Liam?

If so, from the......."The Dangerous Dogs Act 1991"

...."The following dogs, and also cross-bred pit-bulls, are dangerous dogs under the meaning of the Act:

1. Pit Bull Terrier
2. Japanese Tosa
3. Dogo Argentino
4. Fila Braziliero

It is illegal to possess such a dog without a certificate of exemption, which is granted once the dog is neutered, insured, and has a transponder implant. These dogs cannot be "in a public place without being muzzled and ... being securely kept on a lead by a person who is not less than 16 years old."

More detail on this site....

Hope this helps.
0 Replies

CowDoc

Reply Tue 30 Jan, 2007 10:58 pm
Generally, a Staffordshire terrier is considered to be a pit bull. Other than that, the breed is actually not officially recognized, to the best of my knowledge. That is what makes the banning of "pit bulls", in my opinion, moot.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2007 01:30 am
Many people say it is pitbull crosses not pure bred pitbulls that cause damage in regard to being a dangerous dog.

Be very carfull to train your dog to obey your commands immediatly even when under stress/pressure.

All dogs are capable of inflicting damage unless well trained.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2007 01:44 am
In Oz, you're actually most likely to be bitten by a blue cattle dog. Considerably more likely!
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2007 01:47 am
Those Blue Heelers are very unusual looking dogs. I've only ever seen one in the UK and, although he was friendly enough, I wouldn't fancy him having a tug at my shorts.

This one looked like a large muscular fox, in "negative" colours, if you get what I mean.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2007 02:58 am
Wilso wrote:
In Oz, you're actually most likely to be bitten by a blue cattle dog. Considerably more likely!

Because thats what tey were bred to do. Heelers arn't pets and shouldnt be kept as such.

I have big problem with people that advertise "free to good home" for unwanted pups.

Negligent owners are unlikely to pay a reasonable amount.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2007 03:49 am
dadpad wrote:
Wilso wrote:

Because thats what tey were bred to do. Heelers arn't pets and shouldnt be kept as such.

I have big problem with people that advertise "free to good home" for unwanted pups.

Negligent owners are unlikely to pay a reasonable amount.

No argument from me.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2007 05:21 am
Far more bad dog owners than bad dogs. Anyone wishing to have a large, powerful, assertive dog needs to know what's involved - there's a dual responsibility there, both to the dog and to the public. The real shame is that when the owner fails to satisfy the responsibility, the pup gets the worst of the deal every time. Too many humans are way to dumb to be trusted with a dog - of any size or temperment.
0 Replies