Homepage with a news zipper?

Charli

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 08:03 pm
Is there a homepage with a news zipper? Netscape 6.2 has redesigned their homepage and deleted the "news zipper." In my humble opinion (IMHO), it was one of the best features they had. I MISS it!!! Not being a faithful customer to most places . . . especially those that disappoint, I'm looking to move. They've not yet responded to my email telling them as much. I run the MSN homepage on the MS-IE browser. It works better with my web site on Tripod. I did a search on Google, but didn't find any likely sites. Thanks in advance for your help. [/color] Smile
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 1,222 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 09:13 pm
What do you mean by news zipper?

i.e. is it a syndicated news service for addition on another site? Or is it a style of news on a portal type site that you like?
0 Replies

Charli

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 09:34 pm
OOPS!
Thank you for your speedy reply, Craven! The New York Times building in New York City has a "news zipper." It's a continuous posting of the news - like the old nixie readout on a Linotron computer. Netscape 6.2 had the one moving line that printed the breaking news continually. It was often a repeat of the same groups of words, but every so often a new headline would appear. You could peruse the homepage and look up to see the zipper as often as you wished. Or, go do something else and then reaccess the homepage now and then to check what was going on. (Maybe I'm afraid I'm gonna miss something? A news junkie? Do I have a problem? NO, DON'T ANSWER THAT :-) ) Thanks again. - Charli [/color]
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 09:51 pm
Ah, you mean a ticker type thingie.

I don't know of a portal off the top of my hed that does that but I plan on making one. :-)
0 Replies

Charli

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 06:34 am
Yep! I was going to come back and say "ticker tape." (Somehow I always manage to make things more complicated than thy are! :-) ) The News building came to mind because "the news" is in the "zipper" - not the stock quotes.

Good luck with your R&D! I'll post back here if I receive any info about the Netscape "zipper." There had to be a reason . . .
[/color]
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 06:55 am
try "desktop news"
0 Replies

Charli

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 08:04 pm
DESKTOP NEW "ZIPPER"
Thanks, dyslexia, for the suggested site. As you probably know, "desktop news" is a zipper of bookmarks. Not of up-to-the-minute news. I did install it, but I'm still thinking about whether to keep it or not. I'll have to investigate: Maybe there's a way to get the current news to run constantly in the zipper. Do you happen to know the answer to that? Hope to look at the options this weekend. Even though there is 80 G in the two-partition hard drive on this fairly new computer, no sense using up memory unnecessarily. :-) Who knows, may decide we like it for the ready-bookmark access. Are you using it? What's your opinion? Thanks again! The help is truly appreciated.[/color]
0 Replies

Charli

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 10:32 pm
I GOT IT! I GOT IT!!!
I got it! I got it!!! Big apologies, dyslexia. It works beautifully! Even better than Netscape, because you can put up on the zipper which news source you want. You select one from several on the list. I didn't look at all of them, but saw CNN, ABC, CBS, and Bloomberg. CNN is running right now with a few words for each news item. Then, you can click on the item and get the full story. A2K is a little smaller than full screen, so I can look up if I wish and read the headlines. Likewise, on any other sites I might access. Thank you ten million, dyslexia. Much appreciated! :-) [/color]
0 Replies