Green Apple Aphids

Reply Thu 25 Jan, 2007 10:34 pm
Remember my Valerian?

Well that thing just grew and grew.
It got SO big I was considering re potting it when it got warmer.

I brought it inside just before the icy cold rain and it wilted.

And.. voila.. more aphids.

I finally got ahold of one of them and picked at the body.

It looks just like a Green Apple Aphid.

http://www.ext.vt.edu/departments/entomology/ornamentals/1-6.jpeg

And at this point , there are just way too many to be able to save the plant.
It is literally coated with them.

I kept the plant a little more moist on the leaves during its "inside" time then I usually do and couple that with warm air and they multiply like bunnies.

So, I want to just chuck out the plant. Soil and all.

My question is how can I make sure they have not hung out in my pot?

If I place something else in that pot, will it too get the aphids?
Is there a way I can completely eradicate them from my pot when it is empty?
A little table salt? Soapy water?
Aphid killer?

Or is the pot in danger as well?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 673 • Replies: 4
No top replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 25 Jan, 2007 10:55 pm
Dont give up shewolf the plant will make new leaves as soon a the aphids stop. squish as many as you can find predd the leaves beteween your fingertips and pull gently sam with the stem. kill as many as you can. spray with dishwashing liquid mixed with water. doesnt really matter how much dish liquid you use just whatever. Its the film of soap that coats the aphid body that does the work. Spray twice a week with soap mix. make sure you get under the leaves.

If you do want to chuck the plant out aphids are likely to have contaminated the soil/pot. If you do need to save the pot pour several jugs of boiling water over the pot or sit the pot in very hot water. Is it plastic? too hot will warp the plastic. Most chemical insecticides will not penetrate the egg skin so I think boiling water is the go.

Dont leave the plant/soil around they will come back again next spring.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 26 Jan, 2007 06:24 am
I am not sure it will make it.

Like the picture above, my plant is absolutely COATED with bugs.

Im actually embarrassed that I did not notice this before. But I have pulled everything inside, and removed my house plants from my windows due to the cold weather so I have tons of green things . Smile And they have been crowded together for a while so I can see how it was missed.. but .. sheesh.

I have spent 2 days inspecting every other plant, and oddly, they have not jumped ship yet.

I am not sure that I could save it at this point.
1/2 of it is brown and wilted. What is alive, is on its way down, and it is just.. covered with those little things.

I have had them on this particular plant for a year now. Outbreaks being tame, but constant.

I am dedicating my entire back porch this year to growing some food so I think, in order to help ensure that they stay away, I need to sacrifice my valerian. Which I truly dont want to to..
I grew this enormous plant from 2 seeds. Im proud of it, and it is really beautiful. Well.. was.. Confused

It is in a Terra cotta pot. So it should be able to handle the hot water treatment.

Does hot water kill them instantly? Or should I let the pot soak for a while?

It is a large pot, maybe a 5-7 gallon size. I could reasonably let it sit in my tub for a while .
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 27 Jan, 2007 01:13 am
Needs to be very hot water shewolf, boiling is preferable maybe let it soak in hot water to pick up as much temp as possible then take it out and pour boiling water over it.

Aphids suck sap, as soon as they stop sucking the plant will get going again and make new growth, might take a while to "look good".

Up to you though.

We have several "outside" plants, roses and a honeysuckle that get attacked every year. I know What you mean about "coated".

Valerian helps you sleep, you prolly know that already
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 27 Jan, 2007 09:18 am
absolutly.

And the leaves are good when diced up and placed into a dinner salad.
Not enough to actually put you to sleep, but it calms you down, and has a good amount of vitamins in it.

not to mention it tastes pretty good.

So.. I guess I can give it a go at saving it. But I think i will keep it seperate from all the others. I dont want to have to coat all of my food with soapy water to kill those little brats. Confused
0 Replies