Re-potting a smelly plant

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 21 Jan, 2007 09:20 pm
Yep, that's what it is. Good memory.

Here's a picture of a healty one so you can see the difference, Shewhogrowsthings:

http://www.stcsc.edu/hort/swedishivy.jpg
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 21 Jan, 2007 09:25 pm
Creeping charlie:
creeping charlie

Swedish Ivy:
http://onaleeseeds.bizhosting.com/swedish_ivy_plectranthus_verticillatus_white_flowers.html

I know I'm slow, but I'm not convinced.....
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 21 Jan, 2007 09:28 pm
oy, I thought you were agreeing with Osso. I do agree that it is Swedish Ivy. Shewolf, is the stem ridged? Sort of square as you roll it between your finger tips?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 21 Jan, 2007 09:34 pm
Yes

And , it was just like the picture you posted butterfly.. BEFORE the ice and cold.

Our windows are not insulated well. I can not put it close to them for fear of it freezing to death honestly.

It is going to have to survive with my lamp on it or not at all at this point.

We have had a few warm-ish days. Today being one. And I placed it right next to the window and let it bask in the sun for most of the day.

When it gets warmer, that is its permanent place.

Right along with my orchids, hyacinths, Valerian, and a few other things. Wink

yes.. I am SHEwhogrowsanyseedshesees.

I even grew some bell peppers. This last fall we were eating them. Smile
That was the COOLEST feeling.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 21 Jan, 2007 09:45 pm
You might want to try and nurse it through another month until the weather warms up a bit before repotting. Give it some mild plant fertilizer and place it in the window during the day, even if it is cold. As long as it isn't freezing indoors, it should be okay. If you're worried about that, put a household thermometer by the window to check what temperature it is during the day in that spot. You can also put a piece of cardboard between the window glass and the pot to give it a bit of insulation and still allow the foliage some sunlight.

In the meantime, start some cuttings.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 21 Jan, 2007 09:50 pm
I'm like that too. I've never seen a cutting or seed not worth at least trying to grow.

Sadly, a lot of my plants out on my balcony have been killed by the severe freeze we had for a week. I get to start all over again with the ones outdoors. Thankfully, I was smart enough to dismantle the drip irrigation system I had threaded around to all the plants or I'd be replacing that too. Even with coverings and a good watering, the plants still didn't make it.

Food prices are going to skyrocket for the next year or so. A lot of crops have been damaged. Growing your own may be the best way to survive in the meantime.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 21 Jan, 2007 09:53 pm
Well, this is strange...

now I'm beginning to think the ever so popular Creeping Charlie, a Glechoma, of my carefree youth was actually Swedish Ivy, a Plectranthus.

Good grief, charlie brown.

Here's a purported C. charlie, which looks different than my memory of a rather waxy leafed plant.

http://dnr.wi.gov/invasives/photos/index.asp?mode=detail&Code=Glehed
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 21 Jan, 2007 09:55 pm
Also, if you are in the habit of misting your plants, be careful of doing so with that ivy. They don't like having their leaves wet for long. They also like their soil on the dry side so don't let water sit under the pot in the drip catcher.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 21 Jan, 2007 09:59 pm
Creeping Charlie is in the mint family. Swedish Ivy has more of a waxy/glossy feel.

Wikipedia has a pretty good description of the Creeping Charlie plant.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_ivy
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 21 Jan, 2007 10:11 pm
Yes, I get that. I must have once owned a Swedish Ivy.
However, a lot of LA was calling Swedish Ivy Creeping Charlie back in the early seventies -- at least my friends were.

I/we had a tiny house there and a yard that I worked with for decades as I learned landscape design. The good thing was that we had a fantastic old bungalow porch of about seven feet x thirty feet, which was our indoor/outdoor space. With two of us in about 750 sq. feet interior, I never got into interior plants, not really having a need to, given the small house space and the great yard/great weather.

Well, nurseries in the early seventies weren't (often weren't, let's say) up to snuff with the superb ones in some places now, re both stock and labelling.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 21 Jan, 2007 10:18 pm
So, given that what I've thought of all these years as Creeping Charlie is actually Swedish Ivy...

then I'll jump to the opinion that Swedish Ivy is hard to kill.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 01:03 pm
Another name for Creeping Charlie is Boston ground ivy. I think the plants are related but not he same.

Shewolf, I suspect the plant is getting too much water and not enough sun. If its used to being outdoors, bringing it inside is a major shock to the system. I agree with those that say cut it back. If you cut back the top, make sure to cut back the roots the same amount. Then only water it when the soil is dry. I'm sticking to my bleach advice. A drop or two when you water it.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 01:07 pm
ossobuco wrote:

Need one taken out? Send it to my house.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 02:41 pm
Bella Dea wrote:
ossobuco wrote:

Need one taken out? Send it to my house.

Laughs...
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 02:42 pm
Butrflynet wrote:
Also, if you are in the habit of misting your plants, be careful of doing so with that ivy. They don't like having their leaves wet for long. They also like their soil on the dry side so don't let water sit under the pot in the drip catcher.

You should come over Smile
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 06:06 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
Butrflynet wrote:

You should come over Smile

Man, I would really love to do that. You're one of my favorite people here and I just know we would get along fabulously because we have a lot of similar hobbies and interests.

One of these days when you've moved back to NM and I visit family there (if I haven't moved there too) we'll have to do that...spend a day together tending and talking to our houseplants.
0 Replies