the salt was iodized

DrewDad

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2007 08:20 am
dyslexia wrote:
I'm thinking (and someone in the car said) there's so many texans in albuquerque that the resturants all think "medium rare" means burn to the core.

Drive down to Lubbock and go to Kagle's. Then apologize. Don't make me come up there!
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2007 08:43 am
Vlad was wonderful, he was half russian and half mexican. I asked him if he was mexican or gabacho and he responed "I have no idea, I think my brother is gabacho, but I'm not sure."
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2007 09:57 am
Ahem.

Having eaten in fine restaurants in Los Angeles, San Francisco, New York City, and Chicago, I am one spoiled brat for food. I have paid attention about good small restaurants since the mid seventies (Ishi's, for example, on Temple Street in LA, was my first "foodie" experience, it had just eight tables... may it rest in peace.) I follow food in at least four newspapers and a variety of magazines. Food is one of the girl's hobbies (waves to ehBeth).

Notice I didn't mention Eureka, my last home town, nor Albuquerque, though Eureka had one excellent restaurant, and I've been to - a few - quite adequate ones here in Abq. Generally, though, Albuquerque is the apparent home away from home of the big splashy mediocre food supplier to the dullard palette. Why not send something back? What is the point, when you can tell everything else on the menu will be un-good. When the salad greens aren't awake...

I had asked for my plain grilled swordfish to be au pointe, that is just done through and no more (which is overdone to some of us food fanatics, I was being careful re the place here), and nodded when the waiter said "medium rare?", knowing I was gambling. It showed up cooked on the far end of medium, but was still tasty... just a crime to do to a swordfish steak. This was a seafood place, everything fresh, yadda yadda. When a restaurant specializing in seafood has most of it on the menu covered with gloppy sauces, that's your first clue...

I doubt Dys' meal was tainted, it was just overcooked badly.

The waiters were great, and the company superb.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2007 11:21 am
I long ago learned to avoid anyplace that primarily serves fried seafood.

Except Catfish Parlor, of course. >mmm, num-num-num<
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2007 11:24 am
I think Dys is entitled to another birthday dinner.

Definitely.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2007 11:32 am
With dry heaves, this time?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2007 11:54 am
Eva wrote:

Definitely.
The thing is, we know several places that we really like.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2007 11:58 am
Gabacho
Chicano pejorative term for an English-speaking, non-Hispanic,

as in "The gabachos don't want to give drivers licenses to immigrants."
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2007 12:27 pm
DrewDad wrote:
I long ago learned to avoid anyplace that primarily serves fried seafood.

Except Catfish Parlor, of course. >mmm, num-num-num<

I've never been there.

We always go to the Cherry Creek Catfish House.

have you tried them?
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2007 12:51 pm
Roberta wrote:
Bummer, dys. Not the way you want to end a birthday dinner. Next time you're in town we'll go to City Island. Never had an overcooked lobster there.

Happy birthday anyway. Wish you the best.

Hey. We are not supposed to tell the tourists about City Island........... a place I hasten to add DOES NOT EXIST, it's not on any subway lines and no taxi driver will take you there, it's a fig newton of Roberta's vivid imagination and never mind about what you see on some really old and out dated maps.

Joe(How about trying the Italian Garden? yum)Nation
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2007 01:15 pm
i think i know what the problem with dys' seafood was :
he forgot to sauce it with pepto-bismal before tucking in ... so , next time take the bottle along !
happy birthday (and sorry for your miserable experience) , dys !

mrs h is making some nice crabcakes right now ... smell wafting through the house Very Happy
hbg
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2007 01:22 pm
dyslexia wrote:
Eva wrote:

Definitely.
The thing is, we know several places that we really like.

Do-overs!

Should I drop a few "pm"s in some people's ears?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2007 01:34 pm
Chai wrote:
We always go to the Cherry Creek Catfish House.

have you tried them?

Nope. Menu looks good; maybe I'll suggest it next time we go visit the MIL.

What's up with this, though?

Quote:
~ CATFISH FILLETS ONLY ~
Served with hushpuppies, lemon and tartar sauce

I think they need to look up the definition of "only."
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2007 01:36 pm
Bummer 'bout your birthday. I hate the porcelain phone.

Best wishes for happier returns of the day and another try at dinner.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2007 01:52 pm
In Albuquerque, I really like a japanese restaurant in Rio Rancho, I forget the name; like Graze for contemporary. Quite like Flying Star Cafe, quite like Vivace for italian, Bombay (Palace) for indian, and May Cafe so far for vietnamese, Sadie's so far for mexican; the French Corner is a sweet bakery/cafe. Oh, and two drug store coffee shops, Duran's Pharmacy being one, forget the name of the other (at Carlisle and Lomas). And Rudy's has tasty bbq - I'm no bbq expert.

So, I'm not a complete pill re ABQ food..

But, lordie, there are a bunch of awful chain and mediocre extravaganza type places. The only good fish so far I've cooked myself, usually from Keller's shop.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2007 02:01 pm
sorry dys

happy barfday anyway
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2007 02:36 pm
Joe Nation wrote:
Roberta wrote:
Bummer, dys. Not the way you want to end a birthday dinner. Next time you're in town we'll go to City Island. Never had an overcooked lobster there.

Happy birthday anyway. Wish you the best.

Hey. We are not supposed to tell the tourists about City Island........... a place I hasten to add DOES NOT EXIST, it's not on any subway lines and no taxi driver will take you there, it's a fig newton of Roberta's vivid imagination and never mind about what you see on some really old and out dated maps.

Joe(How about trying the Italian Garden? yum)Nation

Joe, Did I say city island? I meant an island in the city. No a city that's an island. Just a typing mistake. My typing fingers had a momentary lapse. Sorry. Joe is absolutely right. A place that DOES NOT EXIST.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2007 04:14 pm
Ya'll need to learn about Legal Seafood.

If it's not fresh, it's not Legal!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2007 04:39 pm
Well, I dunno, I like fresh from the pier.. at least in my old neck of the woods.

But wait, maybe I'll stop arguing, and look up your link, DD.

And I'll agree with CJane re the chinese in the so. california area and ability with seafood.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2007 04:45 pm
Hard to look this up on the internet, given the name, but there used to be a restaurant in a then-new complex in LA's chinatown, same complex where was a great dim sum place, but anyway, the name was Fortune, and the key delight, for me, was the twice cooked scallops. Oooooooooh!!!

The great chinese restaurants in the LA area have shown up long since in certain 'burbs. But, I digress.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/06/2024 at 12:21:28