are cell phones over-rated

Brakin

Reply Thu 18 Jan, 2007 12:48 am
what do you people think of the 21th century trend of cellphones these days... is it just a fasion statement or just a new reason for people to have them?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 778 • Replies: 7
No top replies

msolga

Reply Thu 18 Jan, 2007 02:13 am
Hello, Brakin & welcome to A2K. Very Happy

I have often wondered why some folk seem never to be off their mobile phones. It's a mystery to me. I've given my number to close friends who might need to contact me urgently, or for other important or emergency situations. I couldn't stand to be standing at the tram stop, in the supermarket, or in the staffroom, etc, making small talk to folk when it's not necessary. I enjoy the freedom of being "uncontactable" when I'm out & about. I'm happy to take any phone messages & make return calls when I get home.

I've often thought: perhaps some people cannot bear the thought of being alone? Perhaps they just feel the need to keep nattering to anyone & everyone about anything every waking minute?

Anyway, I don't get it!
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Thu 18 Jan, 2007 02:18 am
Cell phones can definitely be abused--I can't stand it when I'm at a store and the person at the front of the line is taking a long time beacause he or she is trying to pull out a wallet and talk on the phone at the same time--but they're useful. I resisted buying one for quite a while; what made me cave in was when I was in a car accident in the middle of nowhere in the dead of winter at about midnight. I was able to call for help only because my friend had a cell phone.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 18 Jan, 2007 02:36 am
Cell phones are convenient. I can't imagine why anyone would choose to have their calls forwarded to where they are not as a matter of routine. I need not natter on at the market, nor take calls I don't want to simply by owning one. But if something important comes up; I want to know. The ability to make a call, anytime is convenient. Some internet uses are convenient as well. The new versions with GPS and MP3 and Video capability are even more convenient. It has nothing to do with fashion or staving off loneliness. It's all about convenience.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 18 Jan, 2007 02:56 am
Oh, I agree, Bill. They're very useful indeed for when something important comes up & also to be able to make a call from anywhere, should you need to.

No, what I meant is that I wonder about the folk who seem to be fixated by them! If their phone's not ringing they need to check it periodically, just in case they've missed something. Some seem to get fidgety if they're not busily talking away into their cell phones.
0 Replies

Bohne

Reply Thu 18 Jan, 2007 03:31 am
I bought my first mobile phone around 1994 in England, when I did not have a landline.
Back in Germany in 1997 I did not get another mobile phone.
It was quite weird at first, as I'd be sitting in the car, thinking: Let me just call xxx and tell them I'm running late... ooops, no phone.

I got used to not having a mobile phone again, though.

In 2002 I changed jobs and got a work mobile phone.
It was purely for business calls, which again made me have a problem, now, every now and again, I had a phone in my pocket, but could not use it, when it might have been convenient.
So I changed the contract to a dual-chip, where I could make private and business calls from the same phone.

Today I think it is handy (funny that's the German word for mobile phone) to have it occassionally, but I am not obsessed with it.
All work calls are being diverted to the office, so quite often, I don't even have it with me, like right now.

My phone is also always in silent/vibrating mode.
It bugs me no end to hear stupid ringtones full volume in public places.
In my eyes these people have a serious problem.

If I were to change jobs again, and my new job did not have a mobile phone necessity, I would not get a personal one.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 18 Jan, 2007 09:17 am
I remember the first time that I moved into a place that had a dishwasher. My first thought, was, "What do I need it for?" After I used it ONCE, I knew.

I think that it is similar to the cell phone. Very few people have my cell phone number. I want it that way. Most anything that anyone wants to tell me can wait until I come home.

The people who are crucial to my life have that number. There are also a few who are not crucial, but who have my number because of some circumstance........................I had to meet them, and there was no way that they could get a hold of me at home, fer instance.

When I got my first phone, years ago, it was to be "for emergencies only". I had a plan with a very modest amounts of minutes. I now have more minutes, and a plan that rolls over unused minutes. Most of the people who I call out of town, are on my network, so there is no charge for that. Cingular is making a lot of money on me.

I was happy to have the phone a couple of months ago, when I hit a pothole, destroyed my tire, and was in the middle of nowhere. It would have a problem if I had not had the phone. With it, it was simply a pain in the butt.

I think that cell phones are great for business people, and invaluable for people who are waiting for calls from future employers or dates. I DO think that they are overused, though.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Thu 18 Jan, 2007 10:04 am
I only have a cell phone. I don't come home every night so a land line would be impractical for me. I rarely use it while I'm driving. I like my phone!
0 Replies