AUstin, has .....s-n-o-w !

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2007 12:22 pm
There has not been actual snow since the late 80's I think?
Or mid 80's?

And now we have one inch of snow, and about 2 inches of ice. (sigh)

http://img390.imageshack.us/img390/4082/dsc0325gq1.jpg

my lovely ghetto stairs covered with a measured 1 1/2 inch of ice and one inch of snow.

My car has a sheet of ice on it that makes it smooooooth.

My tires are in a sheet of ice as well. about one inch up the side.

Realllly cool. Smile
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,147 • Replies: 79
No top replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2007 12:23 pm
yeah yeah, I know this aint much.. at least not compared to what you crazy northern-ers are used to

but to us sun dwellers this is cool.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2007 12:30 pm
you can see how thick the ice is on our porch, and see across the street

http://img66.imageshack.us/img66/7702/dsc0324zh2.jpg

HOW COOOOOL!

but it is aggravating too. I mean, we cant go to the store because the stairs are ice blocks right now. I feel down the stairs last night getting to the store and the ice is twice as thick now as it was before.

(sigh)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2007 12:45 pm
Quote:
Ice storm paralyzes central Texas
By BILL HANNA
STAR-TELEGRAM STAFF WRITER
The icy weather that plagued the Metroplex this weekend has moved south, coating Austin and San Antonio in a blanket of ice that has essentially shut down the cities.

Further west in the Texas Hill Country, snow was falling, with forecasters saying they could receive up to 2 inches overnight. And the icy weather will stretch all the way to the border tonight, with Del Rio and Eagle Pass expected to be receiving a mixture of freezing rain and sleet.

For North Texas travelers, road conditions along Interstate 35 likely won't improve until mid-day Wednesday.

"Everyone needs to stay off the roads," said National Weather Service meteorologist William Runyon. "It looks like the worst is yet to come. The roads are only going to get more slippery as the day goes on."

The weather had already proved fatal this morning, killing two in an accident along I-35 near Buda, about 15 miles south of Austin.
Source

Not that I really like snow and ice .... but we would be glad if we only would get that little you've got there: we hadn't had any snow at all in this winter, I've still some flowers blossing outside .... and the new ones are coming out.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2007 12:46 pm
AHHHAHAHAHAHAAH! Welcome to my hell!

Just kidding.

You have it worse than I do right now. We have a little ice on the trees and about 1/2 inch of snow but that's it.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2007 12:49 pm
Quote:
The weather had already proved fatal this morning, killing two in an accident along I-35 near Buda, about 15 miles south of Austin.

yeah.. I live just a tad bit away from that..

If I would have had perfect silence, I might have heard it. THAT is how close I am to that area..
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2007 12:49 pm
I'm sooo jealous! We were in the 70's the past few days and going to drop to a whopping 40 something tomorrow. Rolling Eyes

Come on, you plains people. Share the love... I mean snow!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2007 12:51 pm
I know, Walter, everything's topsy-turvy.

None here, either.

I was going to suggest salt for your steps but presumably you'd have to go out and buy it (it's a special kind, I don't think regular table salt would do much of anything and besides you'd have to use a LOT). We usually keep a bag of salt on hand for that reason. But WE haven't needed it. Hmph.

(Hoped we would get some this morning, nada.)

(Note to the fates, I'd love some SNOW but could do without another ICE storm.) (We had one two Christmases ago that knocked out power for several days and was generally a major pain in the patootie.)
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2007 12:52 pm
On christmas day, I wore a sleeveless shirt and light pants while hiking in the park . Smile

The days following christmas, I was in shorts.

In fact, up until about a week ago, it was tshirts and maybe jeans . Definatly a light jacket in the morning but that was it.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2007 12:52 pm
send me your address and I will send you some snow Very Happy
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2007 12:55 pm
I did not realize it was a specific type of salt you needed?

But last night I did get a thing of regular table salt and I used half the container just to come back up the stairs safely with groceries.

It worked.. for just long enough to walk up and down twice getting groceries. Then the slush it created turned back to ice.

Now, the stairs are about a foot high, where as they are usually only about 6-7 inches?
There is about 2 inches on either side of the stair of caked ice.

Noone from upstairs has gone down yet. We just cant.
I would guess.. with socks to absorb the water, and give you a bit of traction you could do it.. but who wants to do that??
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2007 01:02 pm
Houston's only had rain, and people are freaking about the possibillity of frozen stuff.

Yesterday, the company sent everyone home at 3 to "prepare" for the storm. At 10 pm, they decided to delay opening the building until 9 am this morning. All of this was for the possibility of icy/sleet/whatever.

And all it is is cold.

It's all starting up again, because there's another chance for frozen something or other tonight and tomorrow a.m.

I'm not complaining about being told to go home early and come in late, just shaking my head...
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2007 01:04 pm
shewolfie, I hope you can just hunker down and stay in today!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2007 01:06 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
I did not realize it was a specific type of salt you needed?

We still have enough deicing salt from last year ... ..
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2007 01:07 pm
The kind of salt that we use on ice is a bit chunkier. Doesn't dissolve as quickly, stays there for a long time doing its thing. Plus we use a LOT more than you'd tend to have on hand with table salt...
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2007 01:09 pm
Rock salt, isn't it?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2007 01:12 pm
Yep. When I looked up "rock salt" it took me to all kinds of "ice melt" sites with pictures of buckets but not the contents. I think it's rock salt though, yeah.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2007 01:15 pm
Just a light dusting, here, but the girls are very excited.

First time for snow in what, 10 years? We get ice occasionally, but snow is very rare.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2007 01:15 pm
We use here normal salt (NaCl) with about 6% other minerals added.

But in most municipalities it isn't allowed to be used on pavements etc privatly (environmental statutes).

A granulate is much better (that's what I use).
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2007 01:19 pm
http://www.entm.purdue.edu/GM/images/home_moth22.jpg
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » AUstin, has .....s-n-o-w !
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/15/2024 at 12:22:25