Epigenetics: Good resources to help me understand it.

dlowan

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2007 01:04 am
Any experts here on epigenetics?

Know of really good web-based places for lay people to read about it?

Any good accessible articles?

Anyone able to discuss it and educate me about it?

Of course, I am googling it, and reading....but if anyone has expertise and is also able to critique the material, and is able to point out reliable information, I would be grateful.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,281 • Replies: 19
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2007 01:08 am
The word rings a bell, but that's about it.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2007 06:11 am
Hm... well, the Wikipedia article is a bit difficult to read. I've been editing so far, but it's been clearly written by people who know a lot about the subject but don't know much about communicating it to the laymen.

Here's what you should try to do.

First thing's first, you should start off with something easy, written for the laymen.

http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/press/2002/November/epigenetics.htm

That should do the trick.

Next you work upwards.

Go to Entrez Pubmed

Click on the link, Books, near the very right of the black banner. Scroll down until you find Human Molecular Genetics 2. It's the Undergraduate textbook of choice. Look up Section 8, Human Gene Expression.

I can't remember off the top off my head, but I think Genome by TA Brown is pretty good too.

If you want a one stop site for finding out about Epigenetics, then I'm afraid you're out of luck.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2007 06:30 am
I have researched a very little about DNA methylation, epigenetics and neo- Lamarkianism , and prions, so thats pretty slim pickins. Ill bet that if you tie Wolf up, and threaten to beat him , he might give you the answers you seek.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2007 06:38 am
farmerman wrote:
I have researched a very little about DNA methylation, epigenetics and neo- Lamarkianism , and prions, so thats pretty slim pickins. Ill bet that if you tie Wolf up, and threaten to beat him , he might give you the answers you seek.

That wouldn't work, as I've forgotten so much that beating me up would require me to do dlowan's work for him. Surely, you do not advocate such laziness, FM?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2007 06:41 am
I am not above laziness. Its been an ongoing battle throughout my life.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2007 02:46 pm
Wolf_ODonnell wrote:
farmerman wrote:

That wouldn't work, as I've forgotten so much that beating me up would require me to do dlowan's work for him. Surely, you do not advocate such laziness, FM?

Thank you indeed, Wolf.

A leetle exposition would make dlowan very happy, however, and not contribute overly much to her moral turpitude.

PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZE!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2007 03:11 pm
Quote:
moral turpitude.

SHHHHH, you might just draw spendi in. Hes like an old bass when it comes to extracting bogus social issues from science
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2007 03:20 pm
Dlowan--

I'm ruefully impressed by your intellectual vigor.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2007 03:24 pm
Lil Debbie, try googling Lamarkianism , epigenetics. Im sure that there will be a place to start.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2007 04:08 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
Dlowan--

I'm ruefully impressed by your intellectual vigor.

Lol! Nah, don't be.....my specialty is attachment and trauma...and the part of this I am interested in is where it it crosses theoretically with these in neurology.

farmerman wrote:
Lil Debbie, try googling Lamarkianism , epigenetics. Im sure that there will be a place to start.

Now there's the thing, and what I was hoping to get some good discussion from real scientists.

Lamarkianism indeed.

IS this stuff nonsense, or is there real evidence?

As I said above, I AM, of course, googling.....but 'tis hard for a layperson to decipher trash on the net from reasonable stuff. I have only to google in areas I DO know a lot about to be wary! So....if you folk know specific sites/rsources that are good, then that helps.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2007 04:49 pm
I'm not easy to impress.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2007 10:01 pm
Here's a primer I found...for anyone reading along who might be interested:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sn/tvradio/programmes/horizon/ghostgenes.shtml

https://notes.utk.edu/bio/greenberg.nsf/0/b360905554fdb7d985256ec5006a7755?OpenDocument
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2007 10:46 pm
bm
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 17 Jan, 2007 06:11 am
Chumly wrote:
bm

bm
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 17 Jan, 2007 06:38 am
there is certainly evidence to support epigenetic transform. Its not that its a bunch of hooey. Its been around as a phenom since at least the 50's .and, in the neo-Darwinian world, it has been responsible for possible Lamarkian transfre of somatic information. Its usually the first environmental response in somatic cells and extra nuclear DNA. Often it involves only RNA and free-radicals.
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Wed 17 Jan, 2007 06:39 am
Hey dl, you might be interested in this.

klik me
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 17 Jan, 2007 06:42 am
fascinating
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 17 Jan, 2007 07:08 am
Thankee folks!

(Is it safe to come out? Are the bowel movements over? Shocked )
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Wed 17 Jan, 2007 07:38 am
Well, it would appear the situation is sorted then. In a way, epigenetics is inherited, surely? I mean, otherwise skins cells might end up making insulin or antibodies.
0 Replies