Audio books

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 01:46 pm
Has anyone had experience with the NetLibrary service offered by many public library systems? To use it you need a library card, and an MP3 player; however not just any player will do. Local libraries have a list of players that are known to work properly with these downloads, but it is very limited.

Creative is one of the makes listed, but they tell me that nothing over 200mb can be put on them, no matter what the capacity actually is; the problem is being worked on, but who knows when it will be solved.

Other players are either expensive, with all kinds of bells and whistles not needed by someone who only wants to listen to books while exercising, and such, or else have their own problems.

The idea seems a very good one, but at the moment there appear to be a lot of bugs.

So. . . I would like suggestions about what player(s) might be appropriate. Libraries say they are constantly evaluating and updating the list, and I do know what at least one local library has more models than the "official" list gives.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 675 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Tomkitten

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 02:04 pm
Audio books
BTW, NetLibrary books can't be downloaded to iPods.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 02:09 pm
creative makes some very good players, i don't understand the 200 mb limit, unless it has something to do with bandwidth restrictions on the libraries servers

i subscribe to audile ( www.audible.com ), its a good service, for $23 a month, i get two credits (two books) and 30% off other purchases, you can also save up to 12 credits in a year period

they offer books, periodicals and some radio programs
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sun 14 Jan, 2007 01:40 pm
Audio books
Our local public library admits that the NetLibrary is still fairly buggy. Apparently there is a conflict between the firewall and the login function, and you have to disable the firewall which is something I don't really like doing.

As for Audible.com, I prefer to use the library when possible - I only buy books when they are obviously too long to finish within the library time limits. I enjoy listening to books, but prefer lighter ones; for more serious stuff I like to actually read the book in question.
0 Replies