30,000-year-old dining table

dadpad

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 06:12 pm
A £7,000 dining table made of wood dating back to the time of cavemen has gone on sale in London.

It is made from 30,000-year-old wood from a Kauri tree that has been carbon-dated and comes with a certificate of authenticity.

The wood is reclaimed from salt marsh swamps in New Zealand, where the mud and lack of oxygen have perfectly preserved whole trees instead of letting them fossilise.

Made in Italy, the ten-seater table is being sold in London department store Selfridges' contemporary interior space department, Loft Living.

Caitlin McCann, furniture buyer at the Oxford Street store, told Metro: "This table will certainly be the subject of dinner party talk. Whoever owns it will be dining in the grandeur of ancient history."

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_2145136.html?menu=
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 855 • Replies: 9
No top replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 06:16 pm
Where is the picture of the table?

Jesus Christ. Why am I so pissed today?
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 06:18 pm
No pics sorry Gus.

They didn't have cameras back then.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 06:19 pm
no cameras, but they had Gus back then.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 06:31 pm
What, no chairs?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 06:53 pm
That's really great.

A dinner party where they discuss the phewking table and the taste of the hostess in having a sap for a husband.

You can buy just short of 3,500 pints of John Smith's Extra Smooth or 350 attempts at an ordinary Manchester whore for 7 grand and I know which I would rather have. It wouldn't be the table even if it was claimed that the Venus of Wallendorf had been spreadeagled on it one lunchtime.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 05:02 am
There you go Gus.

I took the Delorian out for a spin and gave the flux capacitor a work out.

http://img.metro.co.uk/i/pix/2007/01/30table_175x125.jpg

Dinner party snobs can now buy the bedrock of all home furnishing talking points - a dining table dating back to the time of cavemen.

It may look more suited to Fred Flintstone's cave, but this table is made from wood 30,000 years old and costs a princely £7,000.

The first to be sold by a British store, it is made from Kauri tree wood that has been carbon-dated and even comes with a certificate of authenticity.

Metro.com.uk
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 05:13 am
Same wood.

Or at least same source.

Ancient kauri kingdom

http://www.ancientkauri.co.nz/furniture/pics/5lge.jpg

(BELOW) is the largest swamp kauri log ever known to have been extracted and because of this it was never milled.

Dave conceived the idea to create an internal staircase within this log as a centrepiece for a new shop. In September 1998, a 50 tonne section was cut from the monster log and transported back to the site of the new shop.

A 1/2 metre thick concrete pad was poured, the log stood upright and construction of the new shop commenced around it. The staircase itself took Dave two months to chainsaw out and two other men another two months to do the finishing.

http://www.ancientkauri.co.nz/pics/5tree.jpg
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 05:38 am
amazing how people destroy a piece of history in the name of money..
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 05:48 am
shewolf:
This wood was salvaged from a salt marsh swamp. I suspect it is of more value and interest in these formats than under 16 feet of silt.

Wood is one of the very few carbon neutral (read greenhouse gas neutral) resources we have.
0 Replies