Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2007 05:09 pm
I don't mean to be a shill for this book, exactly, but this book's editions have been indispensible for my garden designing in California, and are quite useful in New Mexico as well. In fact, if I lived in the east coast of the US or in Australia, or, say, England or Spain, I still might like this book a lot, though the maps and the subsequent garden zones wouldn't be applicable.

It's Sunset Western Garden Book. Here's the a2k-amazon link... (There is a deal if one orders now, before the March publishing date.)

Link for Western Garden Book

Well, that's my garden "bible". Do you have a can't be without garden book?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,603 • Replies: 10
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2007 05:55 pm
I do not, but I want one.

Thanks for the recommendation.
0 Replies

Tico

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2007 06:09 pm
Well, not anymore, now that I'm a condo dweller. However, for a long time I relied on a book by Susan Roth, called The Weekend Gardener, or something like that. The appeal was supposedly the labour-saving techniques, but what I liked was the stress on indigenous plants, careful examination of the microclimate and conditions of your backyard (or planting area) and planning a garden by walking through a nearby wildlife area. So the hook was "quick & easy gardening" but the method was good ecological practice.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2007 06:37 pm
<if anyone saw my last post, it was a message to Diane, hilariously out of place on this thread>
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2007 06:46 pm
Stay tuned for Swimpy's landscaping thread. I'm considering completely redoing my yard. I could use a good book like that. I'm also going to hire a landscaper. He's bringing his preliminary plan on Wed. Gonna be spensive, but I think it will be worth it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2007 06:48 pm
Oh, goodie....
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 24 Feb, 2007 07:39 pm
Soz, will you pm me?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 24 Feb, 2007 08:30 pm
Oh, sorry! Read that one in the middle of busy-ness, will get to that now.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 24 Feb, 2007 08:32 pm
No big hurry, just wanting to be sure to catch you.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 12:18 pm
@ossobuco,
Adding to this thread again..

The Sunset Western Garden book could be helpful in both australia and south africa, and probably a lot of other locations, as many plants from those areas are listed in the book and do well in parts of the western united states.

I wish they'd do a volume II, eastern US, but I'm sure what they do already is time consuming. They revise the book every few years as it is.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 12:23 pm
@ossobuco,
Aha, I see I said that already, about australia and eastern u.s.
0 Replies