You can't rollerskate in a buffalo herd

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2007 10:32 pm
nor can you ride your Segway in the Netherlands;

Quote:
AMSTERDAM, Netherlands - Dutch police banned Segways from all public roads, bike paths and walkways as of New Year's Day, surprising the nation's official importer of the two-wheeled, self-balancing scooters.

Segway Nederland director Piet Kruijt said Tuesday the company was "completely ambushed" by the decision, first announced by national police on Nov. 27, 2006.

"We're working on all fronts to get this resolved," Kruijt said. He estimated that "a number of hundreds" of Segways have been sold in the Netherlands. For the time being, they are only legal on private property.

Police said that with no approval of the vehicles in sight by the country's Royal Traffic Agency, they could not be allowed to continue using public streets
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 691 • Replies: 4
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2007 10:43 pm
I have no immediate opinion on this, though it seems plenty odd at first glance. I trust the naysayers have their reasons, would like to hear/see them.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2007 10:48 pm
http://www.schlijper.nl/archive/2005/11/051112-segway.jpg
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2007 11:37 pm
Darn good thing bicycles weren't invented within the past 5 years or thereabouts. Too slow for streets, too fast for sidewalks, and think of the safety features that would need to be incorporated.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2007 11:39 pm
ah yes, the great Segway uprising of the Netherlands.....it madness in the streets...MADNESS I TELL YOU!
0 Replies