Cat´s First Heat

Pitter

Reply Mon 1 Jan, 2007 05:25 pm
How soon after a cat´s first heat can it be fixed? Also is it normal behavior for a cat in heat to urinate in other areas besides it´s catbox?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,067 • Replies: 8
No top replies

roger

Reply Mon 1 Jan, 2007 06:21 pm
As soon as it is definite that she is out of heat, assuming she isn't pregnant.

There is nothing that could be considered abnormal for a cat in heat.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 1 Jan, 2007 07:58 pm
oh God bless, you're cat's in heat. Shocked

keep her indoors and get her to the vet the second she starts acting normally.

is she giving every male regardless the species, that come-hither look?
I hate that.
0 Replies

Pitter

Reply Mon 1 Jan, 2007 08:12 pm
Thanks for the replies. Now off to te Vet!.
0 Replies

CowDoc

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2007 10:20 am
Unlike dogs, cats are routinely spayed while they are in heat. Since they are seasonally spontaneously polyestrus (they pop in an out without a regular cycle, especially in the early spring) you can't schedule surgery around their heats. Fortunately, the risk of such surgery is much smaller in cats than in dogs. The worst experiences I ever had with hot cats is that the uterine body will occasionally snap off when clamped, but it is usually quite easily re-tied. Go ahead and spay her.
In a related note, I found a highly positive correlation between the timing of cats in heat and the arrival of spring. In fact, I still routinely plant my greenhouse according to when the cats start cycling. Forget wooly bears, robins, and the Farmers' Almanac - the cats know! Just don't ask me how they do.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2007 12:49 pm
Hot cats..... Shocked Laughing

Wow, I did not know you could do this while they were in heat.

Related question cow doc.

Could their going into heat or not before getting fixed affect their temperment?

I had 2 cats, littermates, Lulu and Simi.

Lulu went into heat early, as soon as it was over I took both in.

Simi, who never went into heat was one of those nevous, skinny, crazy felines, lived pretty long, like 16.
Lulu, lived years longer, into her 20's, was plump and mellow.

Or was that just their personalities?
0 Replies

CowDoc

Reply Thu 4 Jan, 2007 09:24 am
I never found a correlation between timing of spaying and temperament. Face it - endocrinologically (and metabolically) speaking, cats are pretty screwed up. Concerning personality traits (how's that for anthropomorphism?) cats are capable of pretty much anything! Sorry I'm not more help on this one.
0 Replies

CowDoc

Reply Thu 4 Jan, 2007 09:26 am
I never found a correlation between timing of spaying and temperament. Face it - endocrinologically (and metabolically) speaking, cats are pretty screwed up. Concerning personality traits (how's that for anthropomorphism?) cats are capable of pretty much anything! Sorry I'm not more help on this one.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 09:49 pm
Now, Pitter, fix the cat now! Else prepare for a family... cats are sneaky and prolific. Mine ran away as soon as the kittens were weaned, and came home preggers again! Any future cats I own will be fixed quickquickquick!

I am a pet lover, not an animal breeder. Pets don't need sex lives.
0 Replies