Bizarre Touch Lamp Behaviour..

jimli

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 10:18 am
cjhsa wrote:
Did you ever think that maybe you are dead?

OMG! NO! Wheres Haley Joel Osment!
0 Replies

jimli

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 11:43 am
DrewDad wrote:
I've had problems when someone on the same circuit is using a halogen lamp with a dimmer. Have you tried at different times of day?

Or does the apartment complex use halogen lamps?

Hi DrewDad, yes i have tried it at different times of the day, daylight and night time. My appartment uses halogen lamps in certain rooms but none of them are on a dimmer switch. I cannot determine if that is the case for every appartment in this block.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 11:46 am
Try turning off all of the halogen bulbs. They can cause interference on the electrical circuit (and quite a bit of radio frequency interference) if they don't get exactly the voltage they want.
0 Replies

jimli

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 01:07 pm
DrewDad wrote:
Try turning off all of the halogen bulbs. They can cause interference on the electrical circuit (and quite a bit of radio frequency interference) if they don't get exactly the voltage they want.

Hmmmm..... strange, the lamp uses a halogen bulb. They are of the capsule type.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 01:53 pm
Just get yourself a lamp with a switch.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 01:55 pm
Or a clapper.
0 Replies

stulee

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 01:33 pm
@jimli,
mm. Got a client with a problem... put an Residual Current Device on the Switchboard (special protection device) due to regulations when alterations done on the circuit, and this affected the operation of the touch lamp(s). Plug them into a non protect(non RCD) circuit, and they worked perfectly.... perhaps your circuit is protected by an RCD?
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 03:00 pm
One suggestion: find a UPS power supply that someone is using for their computer, borrow it and plug the lamp into in while disconnecting the plug. If the lamp still doesn't work, it is an environmental issue. If the lamp works, it is a power supply issue. If the latter, plug the lamp back in to see if the UPS cleans up the signal.
0 Replies

Fubi

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 07:58 am
The lamp has to build up a capacitve charge, which may take several minutes, depending upon the the voltage source, and when the circuit is not referenced to source grounding in your home ,this can take awhile. I live in spain and most electrical instalations here neglect to install grounds, as such, I've found that one must wait for at least 3 minutes before the touch function will work as designed, I discovered this when replacing the bulb and the lamp was disconnected for the replacement operation. Also, insure that the lamp mounting assembly is tight and uses a star washer for a proper ground to the lamp assembly. A star washer seats well into the mounting surface permiiting a false ground that provides a discharge path for the capacitance to toggle the light switching mecahnisms.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 06:39 pm
My mom moved into my dads condo shortly after he passed away. Several unusual things happened there with the electric lights. A light in the kitchen refused to work. An electrician came in and worked on it for over an hour but could not figure out why the light didn't work. One day, a couple of months later, the light came on by itself -- and has worked fine ever since!
0 Replies

MrDamageUK

Reply Mon 30 Sep, 2013 02:37 pm
@jimli,
I believe that I have solved your problem.
I had the very same problem, took the lamp back to the shop and it works perfectly. It also works perfectly downstairs in my house, but wont work upstairs.
Then I had a thought, touch a radiator or the screws of a plug socket or something that is earthed, with your other hand and it works perfectly.

Its not a solution unless you don't mind the fiddling about, but I think it explains all. The capacitance required to make the lamp switch on or off, also requires another pole, ie earth.
timur

Reply Mon 30 Sep, 2013 02:45 pm
@MrDamageUK,
Oh, that's some feat to solve a problem that happened almost seven years ago!
parados

Reply Mon 30 Sep, 2013 02:48 pm
@timur,
It was all about the "feet."
0 Replies

keoke

Reply Sun 16 Feb, 2014 11:35 pm
HI These lamps are affected by WI FY I have one that will not operate in a room where a WY FY set up exist, it will work anywhere else except there and any non touch device will work ok in that room.
0 Replies

Deb Rose

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2016 01:17 pm
@jimli,
i just purchased a touch lamp and am having the exact problem. It turns on/off all by it self. If I waive my hand by it, it goes on. Not touch it, just waive by it. It has a mind of it's own. Tried all different bulbs, but it continues to do the same thing. Help.
0 Replies