What the heck happend to Bird at the groomers?

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2006 06:44 pm
Can you tell me why my dog's mouth is bleeding?

We usually bathe Bird ourselves but it has been cold out and she was stinky so we took her to the groomers at our vet's office. We we picked her up we put her in the car and noticed a little blood - we assumed it was from the toenail trim.

By the time we got home it was clear that she was bleeding from her mouth - and bleeding quite a bit.

I lifted up her lip and saw that she was bleeding from her gums above the second little tooth after the fangy tooth.

I called the vet saying "What the hell?" and they were very nice but they could not satisfactorily explain what the heck caused my dog's mouth to bleed. They seemed as stumped as I was.

I'm going to watch it tonight and maybe take her in tomorrow but I would like to have some kind of idea of what the heck could have happened.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,007 • Replies: 9
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2006 07:19 pm
They brushed her teeth with one of the nasty tough toothbrushes instead of one of those nice little finger covers?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2006 07:23 pm
I don't think a toothbrushing was included in her spa day - just a bath and a trim.

Or is brushing typical of grooming sessions?

Why wouldn't the vet's office have said something about bleeding caused from toothbrushing?

I've been using this vet forever and I do trust them - otherwise I'd be a screaming maniac about this - but it just seems so bizarre.

Your answer would make a whole lot of sense though, eBeth. Thank you.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2006 07:24 pm
That's probably it. They got her mixed up with a dog needing its teeth cleaned. Lucky they didn't have a similar dog in for something really serious.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2006 07:41 pm
Most places I've taken Bailey and Cleo over the years do toothbrushing as part of the standard Buff N Puff package.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2006 07:44 pm
I was just thinking - I once had to have a stitch in my gums after I stabbed myself with one out-of-position toothbrush bristle. Bled bled bled. Confused
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2006 07:46 pm
This seems like an appropriate thread to place this story.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2006 08:08 pm
Oh man. If I ever get that desperate for a beer I hope someone has the good sense to shoot me and get the whole death thing over with.

I can't believe you had to get a stitch due to a faulty toothbrush, eBeth. That's terrible.

Bird's bleeding seems to be getting under control but I'm going to keep that stitch thing in mind if she has any more problems.

I tried to get a good whiff of her breath to see if it was minty fresh but she's a little put out with me today so I think I'll give her a break!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2006 08:15 pm
Ha! minty fresh.

We use poultry-flavoured toothpaste in this house.

And a Baby TweetyBird toothbrush. Softer than the regular dog ones - and I'm not a fan of sticking my fingers into Cleo's mouth if I don't absolutely have to. She's got serious chompers.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2006 08:41 pm
Aw, poor bird!
0 Replies