my 1 year old dog keeps peeing in my house

tsalk

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2007 05:18 pm
I really am at my wits end with Bailey. She has even started going in her crate now.

I thought I was doing the right thing, having her be in the crate and taking her out every 30 minutes to an hour. She hasn't done a thing. I found out today that she's been peeing in her crate, Lord only knows for how long now. I took her out this afternoon and she didn't do a thing. I brought her back in and put her in the crate and ran out for about 30 minutes to do an errand. She had pooped and peed in the crate while I was gone. I cleaned up the mess and brought the poop and the pee soaked paper towel outside and then brought her out to that same area. Nothing!!

I have sent an e-mail to the people who had her before us asking if maybe they used a code word with her and I'm not saying the right thing. I don't know what else to try. Pee pads, walking all over creation, walking her outside until she goes (which she hasn't), tieing her where we can't see her, ignoring her until she goes, crate training, having her outside with us all day......NOTHING has worked. I don't know what to do now!!! Any other ideas would be most appreciated!! Tracy
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2007 07:20 pm
Hm, that is unusual, as dogs mostly don't soil their own territory (crate).
Maybe you should take the crate outside and she might go in there
to do her business.

Could it be that she was left in the crate for a prolonged period of
time by the previous owners?

Old habits are tough to break, so be patient, and just repeat what
you're doing. It will sink in, sooner or later (hopefully sooner for you).
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2007 11:01 am
I use wee wee pads for my dog so that is maybe what your dog is used to.
Also, do you have an established feeding pattern?

When I trained my dog, I put the water and food away at a certain time. That helped so she would not have an "accident". I was lucky, my dog learned very fast. Good luck, I hope it all works out for you.

Also tsalk, next time it is easier to get a better response if you start a new post instead of adding on to an older one. My opinion only.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2007 04:48 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
Hm, that is unusual, as dogs mostly don't soil their own territory (crate).
Maybe you should take the crate outside and she might go in there
to do her business.

Could it be that she was left in the crate for a prolonged period of
time by the previous owners?

Old habits are tough to break, so be patient, and just repeat what
you're doing. It will sink in, sooner or later (hopefully sooner for you).

A very large crate can sometimes be a problem, if a dog is going in one part of it and sleeping in another.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2007 05:22 pm
That could be too, jespah. I never had any of my dogs in a crate,
so I have no experience per se. I was reading up on it though, and
one veterinarian suggested that the padding in the crate should be
thin and not water soluble, so if the dog urinates in it, it should feel
uncomfortable to the dog, so it will learn to go outside of the crate
(hopefully not on the carpet).

Point is, only in very small steps will you succeed, so please don't
lose your patience, tsalk. Smile
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2007 05:30 pm
Do you see the dog pee or does she always do it when you aren't there?

She may be trained to never pee when you are around. You always are there when she is outside so she can't go.
0 Replies

tsalk

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2007 03:23 pm
I'm trying hard not to lose my patience. I thought maybe if I could catch her in the act that I could scold her and then immediately take her outside. On Friday, I got home, took her out and she didn't do anything. So I kept her on the leash and kept her with me the whole rest of the afternoon. My step-daughter came up and wanted to pet the dog, but she was smoking which we don't allow around our 4 month old. So she took the dog (still her on her leash) down the hall to my hubby's office so she could pet the dog and still smoke her cigarette. This was around 8 at night. She was out of my sight for less than a minute and the dog pooped in the hall outside hubby's office. I heard them scold her and asked what had happened. When they told me, I had them take her immediately outside. Later on, I had my 10 year old son hold her leash and ran in quick to check my e-mail. 2 minutes after I left the room, she peed all over the living room carpet.

I'm beginning to wonder if maybe my walking her is the reason she won't go. Could she consider me the pack leader and not want to go in front of me?

Today she has been outside 6 times. Again, nothing (and I have pee soaked paper towels and a number of her poopie piles outside in the area I want her to go in). So since we were cleaning out my son's room today, we gated her in my husband's office which has a non-carpeted concrete floor. There is a cat litter box there where I put two paper towels that I used to clean up after her. I was actually hoping she'd smell the paper towels and go in the cat box. Wishful thinking. She pooped and peed in his office. I'm not sure how long she was out of my sight before she did it, but I know for a fact it was while I was upstairs and not in the kitchen cleaning as I had been earlier while she was gated. I'm really wondering if she just won't go in front of me. I haven't ever run into this problem before. I don't scold her when I find her messes, just calmly pick them up or soak them up with paper towels and then follow with cleaner and then pet deoderizer stuff. I bring the poop outside and add it to the pile, praying all the while that she'll get the idea. I wish there was something I could do to make her go.

The crate we have isn't large at all. It isn't like she could go on one side and sleep in the other. It is a small crate and when she went in the crate she was actually standing in it (gross, I know). But even when she has been in the crate while I'm at work, she doesn't go at all when she gets outside.

I don't think she was housetrained at all, which is probably why the family that had her before let her go. They claimed she would have some accidents but that it was because they didn't get her out in time. This isn't some accidents. This is a dog who whines to go back inside so she can go. And I'm afraid every time she goes in the house it's reinforcing the behavior. Is it normal for dogs to "hide" potty behavior from their leaders? Just curious.......But yesterday I was gone all morning and she was outside with only my hubby tied on a long lead. She didn't do a thing the whole time and I wasn't even there.

This has got me baffled. I don't want to have to send her away for training or anything like that and I've had several people point me in the directions of buying training books on cd and such. I just don't know what else to try. She actually asks to go outside and then just looks around and whines to go back inside.
0 Replies

tsalk

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2007 07:48 pm
WOO HOO!!!!! SHE PEED OUTSIDE!!!!! I am so excited! I had her out there for like 20 minutes and she started to squat down. I drew in my breath and she heard me and stopped herself. It took like 20 more minutes, but she finally peed. While she was peeing, I calmly said, good girl, Bailey, go potty. When she was done, I went nuts! Jumping up and down, petting her and telling her what a good girl she was. I made so much noise about it my son heard me in the house. At first Bailey didn't get it, but then she came over and I was able to hug her and pet her over and over again. I kept her out there for another 20 minutes or so, hoping she'd poop, but she didn't. I know it's the first step on a long journey, but I had to share my excitement!! Thanks for all your suggestions. Tracy
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2007 08:24 pm
Quote:
I am so excited! I had her out there for like 20 minutes and she started to squat down. I drew in my breath and she heard me and stopped herself.

I have a feeling she's been scolded so many times for peeing she doesn't want to do it.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2007 09:18 pm
Hey there is progress!!! I am so happy for you, tracy. In time she'll
be much better, as she is eager to please you. I am glad that you're
taking the time to teach her and not get discouraged. You're a good
person.
0 Replies

caribou

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2007 03:11 am
I'm impressed with your patience and stick-to-it-ness!

It will continue to get better.
She just needs to figure out the new rules.
Your consistancy and patience will get her there!

One step at a time!
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2007 04:29 am
Yay!!!!!
0 Replies