MSN groups under effective hack attack.

Sofia

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 12:42 am
I popped into Extreme Politics, and things are definitely not as boring as usual.

It seems several members have had their identities hacked, and have suddenly begun cursing everything that moves... Rolling Eyes The formerly docile oldtimers have been banned (even though they are innocent), to keep the hackers out.

They report that a few MSN sites have been shut down due to hackers.

I thought of our nice oasis.

Has anyone else seen this? Has anyone with memberships in the MSN groups deleted their membership for security reasons, until this blows over? Should I?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,450 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 12:50 am
Make your email address private. The exploit for MSN is an easy one.

By easy I mean I can explain how you can use any member's name to post in less than 4 sentences and anyone can do it.

Keep your email hidden and do not let others know what email you use for your account. Knowing your email address is all that is needed to post as if it were from your account.

Incidentally MSN has known about this hole for years. Heck, I have known it for years.

The good news is that it's not really hacking, they don't get access to your account. They just spoof an email header to post a message from your account.

Sofia, i am almost certain that the exploit I refer to is the type being done there. If you'd like me to check just PM me a few links of it happening and i'll confirm.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 12:56 am
Thanks, Craven.
I'm going to go back and make sure my addy is hidden. Damn. I have eleven groups.
0 Replies