Should I take minouche to the vet?

flushd

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 05:59 pm
It's a growth. It doesn't appear to be painful. I can press on it, and she doesn't flinch.

She's an older girl, my cat, and has grown quite a few little warts or growths or whatever they are. They usually fall off, and I was told they just come with getting more grey hairs. No big deal.

This one though has been growing for a while, on her side, and is developing into a hard lump under her skin. About the size of a small gumball.

A few general q's and should I just take out some cash and take her to the vet?

Is kitty cancer of the lumpy variety common?

thanks.

oh, btw, she is still eating and her normal self. I'm just getting concerned about this lump, but admit I am not wanting to spend money if I don't have to.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 934 • Replies: 11
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 06:04 pm
I would go with the vet option, definitely.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 06:08 pm
Definitely to the vet.

My kitty developed one on her hind leg that grew quickly and was cancer. She disappeared before we could get her treated.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 06:09 pm
Could be a benign tumor that often appear on older animals or it could be worse (cancerous tumors are not painful when pressed). No way to tell unless the doctor does some tests. You might want to find out what it is just to make sure it's not something easily fixable or life threatening. If it's serious, and the cat is elderly, you might want to just leave it alone and let nature take it's course. Sometimes the stress of treatment to the animal and the cost to you is not in everyones best interest, IMHO.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 06:10 pm
You are probably right. Rather than speculate, just deal with it right.

Hate to admit that there is that damn conflict in me weighing money and vet visits. Oh well.

Done.

Though if anyone knows if kitty cancer of the lumpy variety is common I'd be interested to hear. My hopes are that this is just a harmless growth, and at worst the doc would just take it out. If that is an option with an older girl with health problems to begin with.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 06:11 pm
Definitely to the vet.

But this makes me wonder - a great old movie, Moliere, was directed by Ariade Minousckine (or something like that). Does that mean her last name meant Cat?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 06:13 pm
flushd wrote:

Hate to admit that there is that damn conflict in me weighing money and vet visits. Oh well.

I completely understand this. In fact, I have some guilt in that kitty disappeared while we were still debating whether we could afford to treat her. It would have involved at least a leg amputation and tests upon tests. In truth, it was probably already too late, but I keep thinking that if I hadn't deliberated that she'd still be with us.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 06:14 pm
Yes, I agree with the advice you've already received, flushd.

Best to get to the vet as early as possible.

And hopefully (fingers crossed!) you may discover that it's a harmless growth. If not, best to treat it earlier than later.

Good luck!
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 06:15 pm
Yeah, GW, I already considered and made the decision that if my girl gets terribly ill with cancer or something else of the lifetaking variety, I would still want to know but treatment will be limited to maintaining good quality of life while she is here.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 06:28 pm
I once had to deal with a 12 year old dog diagnosed with cancer. The estimate for treatment was $2000 and up- with the suggestion of surgery followed by chemo and no guarantees. The dog had had a very good little doggie life already, so I took him home and instead of spending the money on treatment I started to buy him steak, liver and chicken for his main meal, boiled soup bones for gnawing and gave him lots of extra attention when the other dogs were not around. He died within 8 months, but it was a peaceful 8 months full of tail wags, kisses and dignity instead of trips to the vets, bandages, and needles. I hope someone will be as considerate of me when my time comes.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 06:29 pm
Yeesh, the server is running very slow tonight.

Osso, I wonder. I would guess her name does mean cat! lol.

Freeduck, you have convinced me for sure. I'm sorry you lost your kitty so quickly. Sometimes it happens so fast, and silently, and that is exactly why I needed to voice my concern here and ask: my friends aren't exactly the type to rush an animal to the vet unless and until there is blood gushing out or some such horrible visible need for it. So I knew here would be more in line with my way of thinking and help me make the right decision for me.

Msolga, how'd I know you would vote for the vet? Wink thanks for the well wishes.

thanks everyone. Will post results later this week.
0 Replies

Tico

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 06:31 pm
*fingers crossed for Minouche*

My old guy, MacDuff, has a hard lump under the skin on his chest, but it's a subcutaneous cyst (which I assume is another word for a benign tumour). Doesn't seem to bother the cat in the least. Vet told me that it wasn't worth the money to remove it, but if MacDuff ever needed other surgery then they could get it at that time. Good to know that it's nothing to worry about.

Hopefully the same thing for Minouche.
0 Replies