Godfather of Soul Dead at 73

snood

Reply Mon 25 Dec, 2006 11:10 am
This man had as much influence over me as anyone in the music world ever. I was always proud to have been born a Taurus like him - I still listen to music from a comprehensive collection of his music regularly - to inspire - to get me going...

I saw him live around 1974 - right after he made "The Payback". His announcer used to say something like "He's soul brother number one in China, he's soul brother number one in Russia, he's sould brother number one in Africa, he's Mr Dynamite, he's the Godfather of soul - the HARDEST WORKING MAN IN SHOW BUSINESS! He's Mr James Brown, James Brown..."

What a show. What a phenomenon James Brown was...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 811 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 25 Dec, 2006 12:52 pm
Indeed, he was all that. They broke the mold...
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 25 Dec, 2006 12:55 pm
http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Music/12/25/james.brown.obit.ap/index.html
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 25 Dec, 2006 01:14 pm
RIP James Brown. Thank you for your contribution.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 25 Dec, 2006 02:41 pm
Oooooooooooooohhhhhh, that's sad. Good bye James Brown.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2006 09:18 am
I'm with you snood. I just removed my post from the other thread because they just don't get it over there. We get it over here.

Whether he beat up his wife or not (that's always questionable), whether he took drugs or not, James Brown provided so many years of music, dancing and listening pleasure for me, from my childhood grammer school parties and dances, to high school parties, through my hard clubbing days, to this very day decades later, that all I can do is bow my head and praise the man. He was, very much, a part of my life.

I saw him perform twice. In 1974/75 and again in the early 80's, when the reviewer the next day wrote, "The people did not come to see James Brown. They came to pay homage to James Brown." It was like all he had to do was just stand there on stage and we, the crowd, and his band did the rest. We par-tayed!! Incredible. No one could touch him.

May he rest in peace.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2006 09:34 am
eoe wrote:
I'm with you snood. I just removed my post from the other thread because they just don't get it over there. We get it over here.

Whether he beat up his wife or not (that's always questionable), whether he took drugs or not, James Brown provided so many years of music, dancing and listening pleasure for me, from my childhood grammer school parties and dances, to high school parties, through my hard clubbing days, to this very day decades later, that all I can do is bow my head and praise the man. He was, very much, a part of my life.

I saw him perform twice. In 1974/75 and again in the early 80's, when the reviewer the next day wrote, "The people did not come to see James Brown. They came to pay homage to James Brown." It was like all he had to do was just stand there on stage and we, the crowd, and his band did the rest. We par-tayed!! Incredible. No one could touch him.

May he rest in peace.

I know you're not talking to me. I once played a show with James Brown. I absolutely get it.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2006 10:27 am
(Are you giving me at-ti-tude. Shocked)

Just waiting for you to come aboard, ol Bear. Knew you'd show up.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2006 09:23 pm
Listen, the music biz will chew you up and spit you out and that includes the best and most righteous of us.

Ray was no angel either. The best of them were all troubled, Billie Holliday, Hank Williams, Janis, Judy Garland, Jimi, gosh, even Karen effing Carpenter died because of an eating disorder.

And James did more than his share to empower and inspire black youth. I can only think good thoughts of him and I am still in mourning over his loss.
0 Replies