COW APPRECIATION DAY

ossobuco

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2003 07:14 pm
I am getting a kick out of the "directed" banner ads...tuned to the thread content, so we have Eureka and Ferndale bed and breakfasts above the cow thread...
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2003 10:56 am
Pant! pant! pant!!

Running to catch up!!!

My library has been closed a great deal lately, for the Fourth of July and in order to install and then train the staff on the new computer system, so stuff is gathering in my inbox.

Mediation for my ageism suit against the Atlantic Monthly is Thursday and my daughter will be married 1 August with the reception the next day and I am making her dress.

Algis,
You have the best stories! Stephen Spielberg could make a movie about you!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2003 09:35 pm
You've caught up and we are resting in the meadow...
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 11:22 am
Ahhh!!!! Meadow, what a nice idea.

CowAppreciation Day is also the day of the annual Quimper America sale. Sigh! Two loves, two states, two directions.

BTW, watched the PBS program on the Normandy Invasion last night and could not help but notice the cow, grazing on a Normandy farm, as the troops were landing and artillery was booming. Wonder what sort of milk she gave that night?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 11:44 am
Probably clotted cream....
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 06:58 pm
OK, I have Willa's email address in my purse...which means there is some chance that I will give her the link here, and some chance you'll see more cow images. Besides, images or not, she is another cow lover. When she had her first show with us, more than one person had tears on their faces reading her artist statement.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 07:04 pm
I am looking at the banner ad above that apparently reacts to what is in thread by Key Words, and therefore gives us an image of Victorian Inn in Ferndale. Geez, I know that place. Well not the inn, but I bet it is good. I eat at the restaurant downstairs (Curley's) sometimes as a treat.

As I might have told Algis once before, one of the neat things about Ferndale is...ta da....the cemetary. In contrast to back east/US, not soooo many cemetaries in the west are all that old. I have been to the one in Sacramento and it is lovely, and very gardenesque. The Ferndale one is, ah, a tad unkempt and unrevivified, on a hillside, I like it a lot. Scuse, tangent from Cows.
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 09:45 pm
a flower for algernon
http://www.pbase.com/image/6429543
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 09:55 pm
Uh oh, something for Algernon rings a bell. Clank, dunk. Know I know it.

Don't know what you are up to there, since among other things, I don't know the reference. Priorities for Algernon? Species for Algernon? Dagnabbit, don' remember.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 09:57 pm
Alalcrities for Algernon....Alger Hiss for Algernon.... Allegra non troppo for Algernon...help, help, I am falling...
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 12:28 am
Algis gave it to you. It's "Flowers for Algernon."

Get ahold of yourself, osso....!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 12:36 am
Really? (grabbing both sets of fingers, clasping them away from keyboard....)
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 01:52 am
Hello, plainoldme

Just wanted to say that the cow is one of the gentlest creatures I've ever known. (I spent the latter part of my childhood on a diary farm.)
Cows can sooth people, you can pat & talk to them, they have absolutely no aggression. Maybe we need more cow-philosophy to live in this troubled world? <sigh> Definitely an improvement! Very Happy
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 09:56 am
Truth rings true Laughing
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 10:24 am
As much as I appreciate looking at cows, I don't want to think like one. They're just dumb sometimes. When I used to work as a field biologist, we had to go through a lot of fields with cows in them. The dang things never noticed if there was something between them and the fence. If they had an itch, they'd just head to the fence and start rubbing their side against the fence. Ok, I was skiiiiiiiiny then, but you'd think a cow would notice there was something between it and the itch-relief it was seeking.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 01:22 pm
http://www.auntiemoomoos.com/_borders/waving_cows.gif
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 01:24 pm
Cows with Guns[/color]
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 03:43 pm
That was very mooooooooo-ving Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 04:41 pm
Stay away from the computer for a day or two and look what happens!!

I love the family of waving cows!!!

EhBeth,
An acquaintance of mine adopted a cow -- through some program which makes you part owner. She and her children go to visit the cow but she isn't a friendly animal.

Went out to the country yesterday with my daughter in search of dress fabric. Looked for cows but only saw horses.

osso buco,
Flowers for Algernon was the title of the book on which the movie Charley was based. I think the star was Cliff Robertson and the movie dealt with a retarded man and a mouse who were the subject of an experiment to increase intelligence. The mouse died and the man slipped back to below the level he had been at. Claire Bloom played the psychologist/love interest.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 08:11 pm
I figured that out, PoMe, somewhat after I riffed on the words. I remembered a title like that but wasn't sure Flowers was the first word. Sometimes I'd best be quiet..
0 Replies