WHY IS IT THAT WE HAVE MASS - UNCERTAINTIES OF PHYSICS

Reply Sat 23 Dec, 2006 06:57 pm
while i usually don't pay much attention to the science news , i came across a fascinating article in today's "globe and mail" :

...A GLEAM IN GOD'S EYE...
(from the above link)
Next year, Canada will take part in a $9.5-billion international project to find the Higgs boson, the 'God particle' that physicists theorize gives mass to matter. As MATTHEW HART writes, their exciting search brings up essential questions about faith, the universe and existence .

if it were not for a subatomic particle known as the Higgs boson, Rudolph the red-nosed reindeer, the sleigh full of presents and fat old Mr. Claus himself would not weigh anything at all. They would be matter without mass and, instead of landing on your roof, might easily just float away into the Christmas sky, spreading dismay among children everywhere and sending a generation of scientists back to the drawing board.

The question of why it is that we have mass is one of the uncertainties of contemporary physics, and a series of breathtaking experiments planned for the new year, when physicists will create conditions that existed one-thousandth of a billionth of a second after the Big Bang, is expected to reveal the tiny particle that accounts for mass. Or not.

The Higgs boson is theoretical: It has never been observed. It was proposed in the 1960s by Peter Higgs of the University of Edinburgh to account for mass. It works (if it exists) by setting up a field that permeates space and affects the other particles of matter, resisting their free passage; this resistance effectively gives them mass. It is the only subatomic constituent of what is called the Standard Model of particle physics that has remained invisible, and scientists would dearly love to know if it is really there.

here is the link to the
...CERN ACCELARATOR... website .

this is a massive project bringing together 7,000 (!) scientists from 54 countries around the world .
the cost of the huge apparatus alone is $ 9.5 billions .

fascinating !
hbg
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,350 • Replies: 7
No top replies

NickFun

Reply Sat 23 Dec, 2006 10:11 pm
It would suck if they spent all that money and still didn't find it!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 24 Dec, 2006 12:23 am
Vectors, it'll come down to vectors, since I never understood them.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 24 Dec, 2006 08:22 am
i bet those scientists are having a good time in switzerland !
perhaps i should offer my expertise , perhaps i'll get an invitation ?
my theory is : x + y - Z = dH !
hbg
0 Replies

g day

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2007 11:24 pm
Given we don't really understand how the four forces interact at minute distances, nor do we have a quantum theory of gravity, nor can we understand cosmology without resorting to dark energy and dark matter, and we wonder under SuSy if s-particles exist, and we can't yet strongly support or deny string theory and/or test it, and we can't explain the fine tuning issue to explain why intelligent life exists...

We have alot yet to research. A way of better understanding what mass vs energy is might be nice.

And researchers ponder that we already have evidence of 19 Higgs particles in 2005 (last days of CERN) at a mass of 119 GeV. We need more particles to ensure these are statistically solid results or show they are noise.

Happy hunting!
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 01:46 pm
Given the unbroken progression of rapidly accumulating evidence tending strongly to confirm current theories pertaining to the AGE OF THE UNIVERSE, DARK ENERGY and DARK MATTER, which, among numerous other continually strengthening theories, serve only to lend further (get ready ... here comes the pun) "Gravity" ( sorry - couldn't resist that Mr. Green Laughing ) to M-THEORY. While Science as yet may not have found what its looking for, ever increasingly Science appears to be looking in the right direction.
0 Replies

Heliotrope

Reply Sun 14 Jan, 2007 04:46 am
I have a sneaking suspicion that the Higgs will not be found.
Even if it is found there are many, many things to do with why particles have mass that the Higgs cannot account for.
It is certainly not the be-all-and-end-all of the mass question.
And it's definitely not the so-called "god particle". That appellation just absurd marketing hyperbole and has nothing to do with the physics.

There is a vast amount of room for other explanations even if the Higgs is found. The window for it's energy is now very, very small and I suspect it will close completely when the LHC comes online this year.
neologist

Reply Sun 12 May, 2013 07:20 am
@Heliotrope,
Heliotrope wrote:
I have a sneaking suspicion that the Higgs will not be found.
Even if it is found there are many, many things to do with why particles have mass that the Higgs cannot account for.
It is certainly not the be-all-and-end-all of the mass question.
And it's definitely not the so-called "god particle". That appellation just absurd marketing hyperbole and has nothing to do with the physics.

There is a vast amount of room for other explanations even if the Higgs is found. The window for it's energy is now very, very small and I suspect it will close completely when the LHC comes online this year.
Looks like they found it.

As for the idea of the 'god particle', I agree to a point. But this type of discovery at least begins to explain how believers can assert that God, who may be a kazillion miles away, could be aware of what happens on earth in real time.
0 Replies