Heat Transfer Problem with a Project...

el pohl

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 08:24 pm
Hello there fellow engineers, me and my classmates just finished building an "evaporative cooler" and we need to get some numbers from it.

How can I calculate the efficiency? Normally it would be a ratio between the temperatures (I suppose), but... since the "coolant" is water vapor, I suppose I need to add the relative humidity somewhere in the equation.

A bit confused indeed, any suggestions will be deeply appreciated! Its my final project! Embarrassed
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 748 • Replies: 5
No top replies

roger

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 08:55 pm
Well, wouldn't the efficiency be indicated by the rate of evaporation? Could you get away with just weighing the water before and after. I think it takes something like 540 degrees C to evaporate a gram; not sure if that applies at sub boiling temperatures or not.
0 Replies

el pohl

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 03:44 pm
Well well, yes, that would be the mmm... what could we name it, water efficiency? But not the thermal efficiency. You see, in a heat exchanger, since there is no actual work done (W), its just the ratio in the temperatures of the fluid that at the beginning and in the end.

Something like that, I'm not really good in this subject... Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 09:10 pm
Isn't roger on to something, though? At 100% efficiency the amount of heat removed from whatever it is you're trying to cool would be the same as the amount of heat required to make the amount of water lost evaporate. So a simple efficiency equation could be...

(heat lost)/(amount of heat required to evaporate water lost)

Or are we both missing something?

(Is this a closed system where the evaporated water gets recycled?)
0 Replies

el pohl

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 11:37 pm
Ok ok, for those heat lovers, heres a step by step resolve:

(Its an open system, since the water adds moisture to the air that flows out of the cooler, creating the fresh sensation Razz)

1. Measure the pump current and calc W (A).
2. Measure the inlet air dry and wet bulb temps.
3. Measure the outlet air dry and wet bulb temps.
4. Use a psychrometric chart to determine enthalpy at each of the inlet and outlet.
5. Measure inflow air velocity. Calculate mass airflow.
6. Multiply the mass flow by the difference in enthalpies to get cooling effect, W.
7. Divide to get efficiency.

Any opinions?
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 09:36 am
Crikey.
0 Replies