The Dawn of Time

dadpad

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 06:10 pm
-after 13 billion years in the darkroom.
Richard Macey
December 20, 2006
Sydney Morning Herald

TO A casual observer it could be the psychedelic creation of a mischievous puppy that has dipped its paws in paint. But it may be one of the most extraordinary pictures ever snapped.

It is, scientists said yesterday, the glow from the first things to form in the universe, more than 13 billion years ago. Snapped by NASA's Spitzer space telescope, the bizarre objects must have existed within a few hundred million years of the Big Bang, 13.7 billion years ago.

http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2006/12/19/spitzer_narrowweb__300x419,0.jpg

An Australian astrophysicist, Ray Norris, said the NASA team may have found "the holy grail" of astronomy.

More at the link above
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,090 • Replies: 12
No top replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 07:12 pm
totally awesome.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 07:14 pm
set the controls for the heart of the sun
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 07:55 pm
That's awesome!
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 08:04 pm
It kinda looks like spagetti sauce.

So I'm thinking those cult of the spagettii monster dudes may be right.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 08:29 pm
Yeah, RIGHT. You expect me to believe that bullshit!? 13 Billion years ago...how ridiculous!

First of all, look at that phony picture. It was obviously created by some fourteen-year-old kid with his first copy of Photoshop. I mean, what the hell IS that?! I can only assume that one of the little bastard's best buddies wrote the phony story for him.

And could someone please explain to me how the hell you take a picture of something that happened 13 billion years ago? What a crock!
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 08:40 pm
kickycan wrote:
Yeah, RIGHT. You expect me to believe that bullshit!? 13 Billion years ago...how ridiculous!

First of all, look at that phony picture. It was obviously created by some fourteen-year-old kid with his first copy of Photoshop. I mean, what the hell IS that?! I can only assume that one of the little bastard's best buddies wrote the phony story for him.

And could someone please explain to me how the hell you take a picture of something that happened 13 billion years ago? What a crock!

This from a man that actually bought a chia pet and now wants a chia apartment. This is science kicky once you learn how to spell it we'll help you with the rest.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 08:52 pm
It's an Andy Warhol fart painting.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 10:22 pm
Looks more like a gnab gib.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 24 Dec, 2006 05:09 am
kickycan wrote:

Well, I don't know about the rest of it, but you can take a picture of something that happened 13 billion years ago, if the universe is actually that old, by pointing your telescope at an object 13 billion light years away. Also, I don't know if the photo is what is claimed or a fake, but if it is real, they are simply pseudocoloring the image for visual clarity, or to indicate different levels of heat, or electromagnetic radiation frequency, or something.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 04:56 pm
I read the article. It is not very technical...I'm guessing this is just a picture of background radiation...whoopee?
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 10:41 pm
Re: The Dawn of Time
dadpad wrote:
It is, scientists said yesterday, the glow from the first things to form in the universe, more than 13 billion years ago. Snapped by NASA's Spitzer space telescope, the bizarre objects must have existed within a few hundred million years of the Big Bang, 13.7 billion years ago.

What do they mean when they say 'objects'?

The article said they could only infer the existence of the objects by the surrounding glow.

These could be galactic superclusters clumped together, or almost anything else we can imagine which emits a collective glow.

Many of the dispersed structures we see today were probably more compact earlier, but certain things like stars (at least as we know stars) may not have been possible yet. Many of our current stars are third generation stars containing heavy elements which they could only have accumulated from supernovae of previous generations. The first stars may have no metalicity (no heavy elements). They might have been pure hydrogen/helium plasma balls with minute cores of newly forming light elements.
0 Replies

wilgory

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 09:47 pm
spitzer's first light
The article is correct. I went to this page on the NASA website.

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/spitzer/multimedia/timeline-2006121889912.html

If anyone really cares about space and science, then Nasa is a good place to start.

http://www.nasa.gov/centers/goddard/news/topstory/2005/universe_objects_prt.htm
0 Replies