Your Fondest Gift From Childhood

plainoldme

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 03:44 pm
WOW!!! thanks, Eva!!!

You know, I never thought to buy a box like that. Tomorrow is pay day and I have some last minute Christmas shopping to do. I just might get some crayons!
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 03:55 pm
I DID get an inflatable goat once, which gave me minutes of pleasure.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 03:59 pm
Lord Ellpus wrote:
I DID get an inflatable goat once, which gave me minutes of pleasure.

I bet.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 07:39 pm
You're sick, LE.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2006 06:44 am
Tico wrote:

*sigh*

Tico - watch your PM's.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2006 06:48 am
Mame wrote:
You're sick, LE.

No, he's a mason.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2006 07:30 am
Eva wrote:
I will never forget the excitement I felt when I finally got the BIG BOX of crayons...

For years, I'd only had 8 colors to work with. Then my parents sprung for the box of 24 and thought surely that would be enough to satisfy me. But it wasn't even close. Oh, no. I had my eye on the biggest box they made. 64 colors with a built-in sharpener! I dreamed about it. I even knew the names of the colors I didn't have. What I wouldn't do for raw sienna, goldenrod and forest green!

I thought I had died and gone to heaven when I saw the box that Christmas morning. I spent days coloring.

I still get shivers thinking about it. I am a certifiable color addict. I went on to major in commercial art in college.

My favorite crayons are still sky blue and copper. What crayon is your favorite?

Oh my!!!

We give presents to the kids we see at work....and this year there were a few beautiful, HUGE, boxes of pencils and pastel pencils.

It was all I could do not to make off with them!

I think the gift that gave me most joy was two mice.

I was so hoping for a boy and a girl, so that we would have little mice.

We did.

And a little microscope. Oh man. I loved it.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2006 04:24 pm
That is GREAT, Deb!
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Sat 23 Dec, 2006 05:31 am
Hmm. Situation was a lot like Squinney. We never did have much money, but somehow we always got spoiled at Xmas.

One year, it was looking like it would be a christmas morning with only mom, my bro and I. Dad worked out of province a lot, and was due for christmas eve day. Gramps was gone too, due back on Xmas day.
Rail workers.

Xmas eve there was a blizzard. Huge, if you live in these parts you'll probably remember it. No phone calls, dad not back.
I can still remember us being told to get into our pyjamas as mom paced in front of our big front window with the phone in her hand.
At that time, we had a 'fancy' sitting room which us kids were not allowed to be in with food. Mom let us sit with her there and eat our bedtime snack.
That's when I started really worrying.

Was sent to bed and told not to worry.

In the middle of the night, dad woke me up. I remember I was crying. My dad was my world. I had all kinds of little kid horror stories in my head of what had happened to him (always was a kid with a strong and horrible imagination!).

Dad let me get up and gave me one of my presents. The present from 'him and mom'.
That's how they did it. Santa gave most presents, mom and dad gave us one 'little one'.

It was just me and dad and I got a gymnast ribbon and dance shoes.
I had wanted it so bad.

Next morning everyone was up super early and we went sledding off our roof! Our house wasn't very big and the snow formed a nice hill off it in the back. We went trudging around the neighborhood and lots of kids were out playing. It was the coolest thing ever.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/29/2024 at 10:40:57