Your Fondest Gift From Childhood

Tico

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 05:23 pm
Lego.

*sigh*
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 05:24 pm
I think I only played with them once, at someone's house. Sigh.

Yeh, I looked them up on Wikipedia, and they appeared 'after my time'.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 05:32 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
I hate to see Jane suffering so. It really bothers me that she misses that doll house so I took the time to make her a crude replacement.

When I have the time I will try to make you a better one, Jane.

Oh gustav, it's beautiful. http://www.borge.diesal.de/smilies/wub.gif
Can I consider you now as my father figure?
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 06:07 pm
I will never forget the excitement I felt when I finally got the BIG BOX of crayons...

For years, I'd only had 8 colors to work with. Then my parents sprung for the box of 24 and thought surely that would be enough to satisfy me. But it wasn't even close. Oh, no. I had my eye on the biggest box they made. 64 colors with a built-in sharpener! I dreamed about it. I even knew the names of the colors I didn't have. What I wouldn't do for raw sienna, goldenrod and forest green!

I thought I had died and gone to heaven when I saw the box that Christmas morning. I spent days coloring.

I still get shivers thinking about it. I am a certifiable color addict. I went on to major in commercial art in college.

My favorite crayons are still sky blue and copper. What crayon is your favorite?
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 06:33 pm
OMG! I bought a box of 64 with the built in sharpener just a few years ago. Cubette (14 at the time) and I colored for hours. I really like them best fresh from the box. Yeah, there's a sharpener, but it just isn't the same as the original tip.

They areall beautiful!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 06:37 pm
Prussian blue...
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 06:54 pm
Nice colour, osso... I also like pthalo blue, ultramarine, and indigo. Blue's my favourite colour.

Green - chromium and sap are my two faves.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 07:01 pm
Indigo is one of the colors I paint with now...
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 07:53 pm
Eva wrote:
My favorite crayons are still sky blue and copper. What crayon is your favorite?

Okay, I admit it. My favorite is magenta.

When it came to crayons we were blessed with lower quality cheap wax ones which were more than enough for me...most of the time. Then came the horror. I placed my crayons on top of the radio and they melted. Who knew those tubes inside got so hot?
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 07:58 pm
I love magenta, too... and diazanon (sp?) purple Smile I just love colour

Osso - dd you post any of your paintings on the art thread? I'd love to see some of your work
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 09:26 pm
I have a confession to make. I am a closet crayon user. Not more than two months ago during a series of rainy days, I was bored to tears and was yearning for an outlet for my creative juices. Finally I drove up to the corner Rite Aid store, looked around for something to strike my fancy. Not getting the right vibes from anything, I finally choked and bought one of those dinky 8-crayon boxes and a color by number coloring book.

Got home and spent the entire day happily coloring. Not just coloring by number with the 8 color selection, but blending, shading and texturizing within the lines. Didn't stop until I ran out of pages to color. What is silly is that I have oil paints, color pencils and pastel chalks, but none of those hit the spot like those crayons did. I think it was the unique waxy smell of the crayons that did it.

What a fun day that was. I need to do that again.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 09:49 pm
I had a thing for the cadet blue crayon color. There was just a touch of blue in the gray. So peaceful and calming for my six year old soul.
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 10:24 pm
My parents actually surprised me one year with a copy of a 1961 Gibson SG....it was love at first sight, and 25 years later I still adore her....her name is Red.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 10:33 pm
One christmas season, before WWII, my grandparents came and visited us for the first and last time. They gave my older brother and I a pistol set with belt and holster. I was around five years old.
0 Replies

tomasso

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 11:31 pm
I was about 5 or 6 when I received a toy train. It was special in that
you could lay different colored metal "slats" across the tracks.

The train just went around in a circle and played a certain song
depending on what order you laid down the colored slats.

A little book told you all the possible combinations in order to play
a certain song (e.g. jingle bells, etc.)

When I ran around waving my arms yelling, "look what I got!"
repeatedly and noticed my parents weren't excited about my present
at all; it was then when I knew something was up!
(Hey, there's something fishy here, it's like they could care less)
That's when I started doubting there was a Santa. Sad
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 11:55 pm
Hugs to Tomasso....

CI, that's really interesting... well, to me. I am probably six, maybe seven, years younger than you, just guessing. I got one of those, as a girl, in about 1949 (Hopalong Cassidty stuff). But you got yours pre WWII?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 12:53 pm
eoe wrote:
I tell this story every year...

In 1970 I was fifteen and outraged by the start of football on Monday nights. Wasn't Saturday and Sunday enough? Apparently not. Even tho my brothers and I agreed at the start of the season to switch back and forth, one week I could watch my shows, Little House on the Prairie and Rhoda, and the next week, they could watch their precious football, it wasn't long before they broke our agreement completely and dismissed me and my protests with a wave of the hand, like big brothers often do.

That Christmas morning, there was a pretty nice-sized giftwrapped box for me under the tree and I had no idea what it was. When I tore off the paper, I leaped back, stunned. My adorable, knuckleheaded brothers had pooled their monies together and bought me a Panasonic 13-inch b & w set for my bedroom, to get me out of their hair on Monday nights once and for all. Very Happy

I still have that set. I don't use it but I will always keep it.

Who would have thought brothers were capable of doing anything nice - (I have three brothers and no sisters so I certainly can appreciate and understand).
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 03:22 pm
It took me a long time to convince my parents just to get me the box of 48 crayons. I never got the box of 64. I love the smell of a fresh box. After they're opened once, they never smell the same again.

Remember the crones? The crones had a separate server for a time. We confessed that we loved to color because it was so relaxing.

There was a series of books for middle elementary school kids with a heroine named Miranda or something similiar. The author called coloring, "crayoning," and the little heroine liked it because of its relaxing quality.

I like magenta and turquoise and olive green.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 03:32 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
One christmas season, before WWII, my grandparents came and visited us for the first and last time. They gave my older brother and I a pistol set with belt and holster. I was around five years old.

Wow.

Did they live in Japan?
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 03:41 pm
plainoldme....this is just for you. You don't even have to share.

Merry Christmas![/color]
http://www.kbtoys.com/g/toys/big/103273a.jpg
woo hoo! 96 colors now! who knew?!
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/30/2024 at 12:18:36