THE PRICE OF GIVING

Misti26

Reply Mon 11 Nov, 2002 09:58 pm
The Price of Giving

A wise woman who was traveling in the mountains found
a precious stone in a stream.

The next day she met another traveler who was hungry,
and the wise woman opened her bag to share her food.

The hungry traveler saw the precious stone and asked
the woman to give it to him. She did so without hesitation.

The traveler left rejoicing in his good fortune. He knew
the stone was worth enough to give him security for a lifetime.

But, a few days later, he came back to return the stone
to the wise woman.

"I've been thinking," he said. "I know how valuable this
stone is, but I give it back in the hope that you can give me
something even more precious.

Give me what you have within you that enabled you to give me
this stone."

Christian Godefrey
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,001 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2002 06:56 am
Misti- Where do you find these? This one is beautiful too!
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2002 08:29 am
The Price
We are never given a challenge without there being a way through it. Sometimes we may feel we are caught in a maze, that there is no way out... but there is a way, there is always a way, even when we don't see it. There is always hope even when we don't see any reason for it. There is always an answer even if we haven't yet heard it.

It is easy to give up, much easier than keeping on going. Yet, the price of giving up is anger which is oftentimes translated into apathy. The price of giving up on ourselves and our world, is living as automatons, with no real joy, no real hopes, no real substance to our lives. If a child gives up on trying to walk, it may feel like it has lost any reason to live. If we give up on ourselves -- our personal goals as well as our global ones -- we may end up feeling the same.

Yet, while we still have breath, there is hope. We can conquer our own habits, and we can help the world to conquer its habits too. The habits of apathy, greed, fear, anger, hate... As we look within ourselves and attend to the business of being the best person we can be, we will serve as "role-models" for the world around us -- for our families, co-workers, and the people whose lives we touch in some way. As we become a better person, we help others to become better persons too. As we live our "possibilities", then others see that it is possible for them as well. The child learning to walk is inspired by seeing those around it walking. As we learn to "walk" through our daily challenges, others gain strength through our example. As we hold on to our hopes, knowing that each setback is part of the process of attaining our goals, we inspire those around us.

We can change the world, one person at a time... and that person is each one of us... As we look inside and root out the behaviors we find deplorable in the world (anger, hatred, jealousy, revenge), we do our part in changing the world.
Marie T. Russell
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2002 09:21 pm
Misti, I had heard that story before, but would love to know where you found it. Also, who is Christian Godfrey? The message is so beautiful.

Have you heard the saying, "No good deed goes unpunished?" It is funny and sometimes true, but there is a cynicism to it. Your story is purely about the truly generous spirit. It is simple and moving.
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Wed 13 Nov, 2002 06:50 am
Thank you for all your wonderful comments.

Diane, I will get back to you later with Christian Godfrey's site. He is a truly positive and enlightening spirit.
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2002 07:51 pm
Diane, here is the Christian Godfrey website I promised you. Next time I receive one of his gems, I will post it and the site along with it.

http://www.positive-club.com/
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2002 08:56 pm
Thank you Misti26.
0 Replies