Is Anyone Out There?

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2006 04:10 pm
If humankind could ever ween itself away from wasteful wars, I believe space would beckon all the stronger.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2006 04:16 pm
Steve 41oo wrote:
Chai Tea wrote:
I can easily picture a world where the most intelligent creature is on the same level as an armadillo, which is really dumb, or even worse.
slow catching on here. Profound thought CT, though somewhat armadilloist.

Strange we seem to find comfort in the idea that we are not alone. But what if WE ARE? Chilling eh?

That means we must develop technology so we can inhabit others worlds and take over the universe without fear of repercussions! It will be GLORIOUS!
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2006 04:25 pm
Steve wrote-

Quote:
Strange we seem to find comfort in the idea that we are not alone. But what if WE ARE? Chilling eh?

It's not as chilling as this thread Steve.

These are the altar boys to the priesthood of the New Religion which worships The Great Silence. Scientists would you believe?

I'm not sure they understand the inverse cube law though. Not for a sphere with infinite radius anyway. Or even one of 10000 light years. They have a knack of making it all seem a lot nearer than it is. Like Omar's upturned bowl.

And imagine what we look like from out there eh? We would take a bit of finding and even if we were spotted it would have to be now when we can receive signals and not a million years ago. I wonder what fraction of the surface of a sphere we are from Alpha Centauri which is only about 4 and a 1/2 light years off.

I wonder what our body looks like from one of those atoms in a DNA spiral. And there's all sorts inside one of them. Mostly space though.

It's amazing how it all works. And the psychology is something else.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2006 08:44 pm
spendius wrote:
Steve wrote-

Quote:

These are the altar boys to the priesthood of the New Religion which worships The Great Silence. Scientists would you believe?

You are being very mysterious about what you mean by this. I would be grateful if you could clarify what you mean by this comment in simpler, more direct terms.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 23 Dec, 2006 04:44 am
Brandon-

If you think I'm mysterious you should read the other posts on this thread.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 23 Dec, 2006 06:35 am
spendius wrote:
Brandon-

If you think I'm mysterious you should read the other posts on this thread.

I think that many of the posts in this thread say what they mean in very direct terms. Is there some reason why you cannot explain what your comment means? Are you ashamed of your own opinion?
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Sat 23 Dec, 2006 10:05 am
Spendius post is clear to me. We are simply atoms in the giant wonder known as the universe. I could go on but I have to go now.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 23 Dec, 2006 04:05 pm
Very Happy Brandon said
Quote:
Spendi-- You are being very mysterious about what you mean by this. I would be grateful if you could clarify what you mean by this comment in simpler, more direct terms.

Good Luck with getting your wish Brandon. Spendi thinks "Colckwork Orange" is a documentary
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 23 Dec, 2006 06:37 pm
One ought to beware of thinking things are "mysterious", and even more so when they seem "very mysterious", simply on the evidence that one does not oneself quite know what is happening.

To do that makes an assumption that what one finds "very mysterious" is axiomatically "very mysterious" per se and that everyone else will also find it so.

Usually it means that one has a great deal more work to do and that the suggestion that whatever is found to be "very mysterious" is actually so to everyone else is merely a verbal trick to avoid that work.

According to the laws of energy conservation it is a perfectly sensible position to take assuming one doesn't mind remaining in that beautiful innocent state associated with short pants.

Stick to it Brandon- it's a nasty old world. Mom and apple pie is the safest option.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 23 Dec, 2006 06:46 pm
fm wrote-

Quote:
Spendi thinks "Colckwork Orange" is a documentary

Are you referring to the movie or the original work of fiction on which it was said to be based?

Mr Burgess said that Mr Kubrick had missed the point in his eagerness to put bottoms on cinema seats.

Which version are you flying your kite aloft upon?

The book was concerned with etymology and came about from a study of Vico after Mr Joyce had given the hint(s).

Do you do hot air ballooning fm? It's pretty good I gather. The human race look like ants from up there.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 23 Dec, 2006 09:06 pm
spendius wrote:
One ought to beware of thinking things are "mysterious", and even more so when they seem "very mysterious", simply on the evidence that one does not oneself quite know what is happening.

To do that makes an assumption that what one finds "very mysterious" is axiomatically "very mysterious" per se and that everyone else will also find it so.

Usually it means that one has a great deal more work to do and that the suggestion that whatever is found to be "very mysterious" is actually so to everyone else is merely a verbal trick to avoid that work.

According to the laws of energy conservation it is a perfectly sensible position to take assuming one doesn't mind remaining in that beautiful innocent state associated with short pants.

Stick to it Brandon- it's a nasty old world. Mom and apple pie is the safest option.

I'm simply asking you to clarify what your previous remark meant. What's so unacceptable about that? Is there some reason why you don't want to explain the meaning of what you said? I'm not commenting negatively about your remark, I'm just asking for clarification. You said:

spendius wrote:
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 24 Dec, 2006 04:08 pm
It refers to an earlier post not all that far back which you may have not seen.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 24 Dec, 2006 09:21 pm
spendius wrote:
It refers to an earlier post not all that far back which you may have not seen.

Is it possible you could just sum it up in more direct terms in a few sentences?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 25 Dec, 2006 04:54 am
That's exactly what I thought I had done.

The thread works in pure imagery.

Do you think 5 paragraphs on 800 years of a supposed Chinese Culture from a few thousand years ago is anything else?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 25 Dec, 2006 09:17 am
spendius wrote:
That's exactly what I thought I had done.

The thread works in pure imagery.

Do you think 5 paragraphs on 800 years of a supposed Chinese Culture from a few thousand years ago is anything else?

Alright, I have now asked you several times to clarify what you're saying, which I'm sure you could do, and for some reason, you're ashamed to make it understandable. I give up.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 25 Dec, 2006 09:27 am
NickFun wrote:
I believe the universe is teeming with life. There are 200 billion stars in our galaxy. There are 200 billion known galaxies. And we are the only ones? That makes me laugh!
If thats the case Nick, where is everyone? We have used increasingly sophisticated techniques to listen for signs of extraterrestrial intelligence for decades, covering a large proportion of the sky and so far nothing. At all. Plenty of blips bangs pulses and of course exosolar planets, but not a hint of anything we might regard as alien intelligence. Why?
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Mon 25 Dec, 2006 09:59 am
Steve 41oo wrote:
...but not a hint of anything we might regard as alien intelligence. Why?

What do we know about alien intelligence? The same as old Aztecs did.

Them expecting Gods were coming is not that different from us expecting aliens are landing any time...
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 25 Dec, 2006 10:05 am
Francis wrote:
Steve 41oo wrote:
...but not a hint of anything we might regard as alien intelligence. Why?

What do we know about alien intelligence? The same as old Aztecs did.

Them expecting Gods were coming is not that different from us expecting aliens are landing any time...
Bloody hell, there is life out there and its called Francis. Merry Christmas Francis, havent you got something better to do today than wasting time spectulating about alien intelligence on a2k? Smile

Seriously best wishes to you and yours from S and Mrs S.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Mon 25 Dec, 2006 10:15 am
You are speculating about alien intelligence, Steve, not me as I, as you so cleverly pointed out, have better things to do. (Just stopping by the computer to check mail).

I do return my best wishes to you and R...
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 25 Dec, 2006 11:22 am
Francis wrote-

Quote:
(Just stopping by the computer to check mail).

That's a bit patronising Francis. Such things are considered the height of bad manners in England. One might, of course, think it but to betray it is a real no-no. Especially as crudely as you did.

It is no use learning English without the proper etiquette to accompany the words.

It isn't necessarily a waste of time speculating upon the possibilty of alien life. One can make money doing so and making money is never a waste of time. Those who do make money are the priesthood. The ones who don't are the altar boys. The worshipped Godhead can be anything anybody can sell and if it's out of the range of human understanding so much the better.

Somebody speculated about travelling at half the speed of light. I should think that at such a speed passing by our solar system might be like passing by a brick in the tunnel lining on Eurostar. Can you imagine trying to pull up after catching a glimpse of Lola's lovely legs. The G force if you tried any sharp turns would have your eyeballs looking out from your big toes I should think. At the least.
0 Replies