Is Anyone Out There?

Terry

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 05:01 pm
Setanta wrote:
There is considerable evidence (according to what i've read, and i claim no expertise) that fertility in industrialized nations had fallen sharply--as though the evolutionary process had "recognized" that many offspring are no longer necessary to assure survival. That is something to which i alluded earlier--a sufficiently sophisticated technological society might easily attain environmentally safe equipoise, and have little reason to pursue interstellar colonization.

The evolutionary process cannot "recognize" anything. Individual men and women make the decision to limit family size if they see that small families are advantageous and they have access to birth control.

It's been a while since I read "Guns, Germs and Steel" but I believe that the point was that advances in civilization may depend on geographic and cultural factors. If an alien species did not have the right environmental conditions, it might not develop advanced technology.

Of course, given millions of possible sentient species in the galaxy, it is likely that at least a few of them would.

Perhaps they are all wondering why we haven't contacted them yet.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 05:32 pm
Terry wrote:
The evolutionary process cannot "recognize" anything.

No ****, Sherlock . . .

That was metaphor (look it up if you need to). My point is that i have read that the fertility of men and women in industrialized nations is said to have declined physiologically, and that they are less fertile than men and women in non-industrial and pre-industrial nations.

You might look at some of the documentation at The Population Reference Bureau's Fertility Page.

You might also find this article interesting.

Quote:
In this article, Jensen et al. challenge the conventional demographic interpretation that reductions in fertility in industrialized nations can be explained completely by changes in the choices that women are making about whether and when to bear children.

Jensen et al. explore instead the possibility that part of the decline in fertility rates in the industrialized world that has occurred over the past several decades is a result of long-term trends in male reproductive health, particularly sperm density and quality. They propose the possibility that fewer babies are born in part because couples are having greater difficulty conceiving.

Jensen et al. do not argue that reductions in male reproductive health are the sole contributor to the demographic trends, nor do they conclude with certainty that reductions in sperm quantity and quality are involved, but they make a plausible case for the possibility that sperm declines are contributing to changes in industrialized country birth rates.

If substantiated by further research, this is a profoundly important reinterpretation of conventional demographic wisdom. Jensen et al.'s provocative arguments warrant further investigation, not just in Denmark but in other industrialized countries that are experiencing similar declines.

Birth rates have declined dramatically in industrialized countries to the point now that in many countries the birth rate is below the level (absent immigration) required to sustain population size, generally accepted to be 2.1 children per couple. In Italy and Spain it has fallen as low as 1.2 children per couple. These declines below replacement are causing significant changes in social conditions because they lead to a change in the age structure of the population. Ageing populations have fewer entry level workers and more senior citizens, putting severe strains on socio-economic systems.

This is a search page at "PubMed", an online project of the National Center for Biotechnology Information. The search parameter was "fertility+industrialized nations"--which you will need to enter to see the more than one thousand search results. Of more specific interest, however, might be what i orginally read at NCBI's "PubMed" site:

An abstract on fertility in industrialized nations.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 06:39 pm
Some of the aboriginal societies have had constant populations over thousands of years.

The long post four back is very interesting.

It suggests, amongst other things, that only the dissatisfied make adventurous moves. That the "well-to-do" are a dead hand on progress. It's the Jacobin position.

It ignores the capacity of "persuaders" but such categories are unknown in non-human evolution which is not to say that they are more powerful. It's just a fact as far as we know.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 08:04 pm
For those that are arguing that technologically advanced civilizations may not 'want' to leave their home world, I would ask if you have considered that any decently technocologically advanced civilization would recognize (just as we have) that a single asteroid could wipe them out?

Isn't that a universal motivation for almost any advanced civilization to expend resources necessary to colonize wide areas?

Then there's supernovae and Gamma Ray Bursters to worry about. The wider you spread, the greater the chance of species survival. I'm not suggesting that this is instinctual because the threat is too remote, but advanced civilizations would probably consider this (just as we do), right?
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 02:18 am
I'm with Setanta. Keen on Drake and iffy on Fermi. I don't think Fermi appreciates the difficulties of interstellar travel and communication.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 08:24 am
Eorl wrote:
I'm with Setanta. Keen on Drake and iffy on Fermi. I don't think Fermi appreciates the difficulties of interstellar travel and communication.

I like Drake's formula, but there are too many variables which we don't know anything about, so it's hard to get much useful information out of it.

Besides, most people on this thread seem to think technologically advanced life is common in the Galaxy, and exists right now, along with us. Most people seem to think that we are new to the technology game and will get better at it in a relatively short timespan (thousands of years). Which means that if there are other technology based civilizations out there, they are likely to be ahead of us.

So let's pick a number... in all the billions of stars in our galaxy, with all the planets and moons, how many tech advanced civs are there out there right now? 10? 100? 1000?

If even one of those civilizations was inclinded to spread, either by itself, or with replicating machines, it could crawl across our galaxy at sublight speed several times over in a million years.

So suppose just one of those civs developed 65 million years ago, back when our dinosaurs disappeared....

All it takes is one of those civilizations to do it. Just one.

Before you dismiss the paradox, I would encourage you to read the paradox step by step and see if you agree with each assumption.

Set has made some interesting points, and I'm willing to keep an open mind, but I haven't seen enough yet to make me feel like dismissing the whole thing. And I'm not alone, experts in the field consider this an open question, and many sci-fi writers with advanced physics degrees are churning out books floating colorful possibilities, some of which are feasible, but none of which are satisfying in the real world yet.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 08:50 am
Here is a link I provided earlier

Please note that the first sentence:

The article wrote:
"If even a very small fraction of the hundred billion stars in the galaxy are home to technological civilizations which colonize over interstellar distances, the entire galaxy could be completely colonized in a few million years. The absence of such extraterrestrial civilizations visiting Earth is the Fermi paradox."

There is an assumption in that sentence, "technological civilizations which colonize over interstallar distances".

This is the assumption which is most often challenged (Set for example argues resource depletion, which is included below), but the article addresses it this way:

The article wrote:
Proposed solutions to the Fermi paradox either deny the possibility of extraterrestrial civilizations [1, 5], an assumption as yet unwarranted, or accept the possibility of extraterrestrial technological civilizations and propose explanations for why such civilizations may nevertheless not have colonized the galaxy. Explanations include suggestions that such civilizations collapse or blow themselves up, run out of resources, choose not to colonize, or chose to colonize but leave us alone. The difficulty with all such explanations is that they must all assume an unwarranted uniformity of motive for extraterrestrial civilizations over extremely long periods of time. If even a single civilization choses to colonize the galaxy, the explanations fail. It is useful, therefore, to try to look for explanations of the Fermi paradox which do not rely on uniformity of motive.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 08:57 am
Yes, it only takes one, but my point has been from the outset to examine what the likelihood is that they have been here, and if they have, what is the likelihood that we would know it, or could find it out.

So, even were there a million such civilizations, they have to have visited all of the roughly one hundred billion star systems which might reasonably qualify. And if all of these star systems have been visited, including our own, why, and when, would they come back? As i've already pointed out, if they haven't been here for four million years, they'd have no reason to assume that there were any species here which might soon become technological. So, if billions of years are enough to have visited all of the stars systems, is it sufficient time to have visited all of them many, many time, to see if there are sentient life forms there which are likely to reach technological sophistication? How many billions of years can a technologically advanced civilization exist before it dies out, or simply loses interest in the constant round of star systems? Two core assumptions in the Fermi paradox are that all technologically sophisticated civilizations will want to continuously explore and colonize, and that once a civilization reaches technological sophistication, it can be relied upon to survive indefinitely. Additionally, it assumes that such a civilization will eternally want to explore, and to return to places it has visited in the past. In fact, a sufficiently technologically sophisticated civilization might reach a point at which they decide "to Hell with this galaxy, let's go visit other galaxies."

You have pointed out that Drake's equation relies upon too many unknown variables. I'm simply applying the standard to Fermi's paradox. After, absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 09:00 am
rosborne's source wrote:
Proposed solutions to the Fermi paradox either deny the possibility of extraterrestrial civilizations [1, 5], an assumption as yet unwarranted, or accept the possibility of extraterrestrial technological civilizations and propose explanations for why such civilizations may nevertheless not have colonized the galaxy. Explanations include suggestions that such civilizations collapse or blow themselves up, run out of resources, choose not to colonize, or chose to colonize but leave us alone. The difficulty with all such explanations is that they must all assume an unwarranted uniformity of motive for extraterrestrial civilizations over extremely long periods of time. If even a single civilization choses to colonize the galaxy, the explanations fail. It is useful, therefore, to try to look for explanations of the Fermi paradox which do not rely on uniformity of motive.

The very same criticism can be leveled at the thesis--that it assumes a uniformity of motive in technologically sophisticated civilizations: that they will inevitably colonize, and that they will colonize endlessly.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 09:07 am
By the way, if one will go back and look at the "They're made out of meat" story which i linked (it's very short, you can read it in a couple of minutes), you see a very interesting take on the subject. I'm not referring to the "they are interested in us" aspect, but the "they are so alien to our understanding" aspect. If an alien species were silicon based, rather than carbon based, we very likely might not even recognize them if we passed them in the galaxy. Even with carbon based life forms--life forms "made out of meat"--the possibility exists that they visited our planet at some time in the past and reacted with: "OMG, that atmosphere is full of nitrogen (or oxygen, or carbon-dioxide)--it's deadly poison."

Lot's and lots of assumptions are being made in this thesis, and apparently a lot of possibilities are being blindly or willfully ignored.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 09:07 am
Setanta wrote:
Yes, it only takes one, but my point has been from the outset to examine what the likelihood is that they have been here, and if they have, what is the likelihood that we would know it, or could find it out.

So, even were there a million such civilizations, they have to have visited all of the roughly one hundred billion star systems which might reasonably qualify. And if all of these star systems have been visited, including our own, why, and when, would they come back?

Yes, and I think that your arguments are very similar to the 'Percolation' theory which the author of the article is using.

Setanta wrote:
You have pointed out that Drake's equation relies upon too many unknown variables. I'm simply applying the standard to Fermi's paradox.

True, but in the Fermi Paradox, I feel more strongly about the validity of core assumptions than I do about everything in the Drake equation.

Or as Geoffrey Landis said in the article...

Geoffrey Landis wrote:
Like all discussions of the Fermi paradox, solutions based on a percolation approach are dependent on the validity of its assumptions. Until we have either explored the galaxy or contacted extraterrestrial civilizations, all such assumptions can be challanged, however, I argue that the assumptions used are reasonable, and that in any case the assumptions made here are less universal and restrictive than those required by other analyses of the paradox.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 09:08 am
By the way, add to that Terry's reasonable hypotheses--that aliens might be hostile, or that they might fear hostility. Again, i find the thesis unrealistically simplistic, and would revert to the point in Ros' source about the assumption of uniformity--it applies to the thesis as well as it applies to the criticisms of the thesis.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 09:20 am
rosborne979 wrote:
Geoffrey Landis wrote:
Like all discussions of the Fermi paradox, solutions based on a percolation approach are dependent on the validity of its assumptions. Until we have either explored the galaxy or contacted extraterrestrial civilizations, all such assumptions can be challanged, however, I argue that the assumptions used are reasonable, and that in any case the assumptions made here are less universal and restrictive than those required by other analyses of the paradox.

Mr. Landis' fondness with his own assumptions is not to be wondered at. Mr. Landis' assumptions, are, however, no better founded than the assumptions of those with whom he disagrees, and he simply chooses to declare them more reasonable. I don't see that he provided cogent argument to sustain a contention that they are more reasonable.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 09:45 am
Setanta wrote:
By the way, add to that Terry's reasonable hypotheses--that aliens might be hostile, or that they might fear hostility. Again, i find the thesis unrealistically simplistic, and would revert to the point in Ros' source about the assumption of uniformity--it applies to the thesis as well as it applies to the criticisms of the thesis.

Excellent, we still disagree Smile More fun discussion.

Just out of curiosity, how many technologically advanced civs do you think there are in our galaxy right about now?

How many of those do you think have any inclination to colonize beyond their home world?
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 09:51 am
Setanta wrote:
Mr. Landis' fondness with his own assumptions is not to be wondered at. Mr. Landis' assumptions, are, however, no better founded than the assumptions of those with whom he disagrees, and he simply chooses to declare them more reasonable.

Of course. We all have a fondness for our own assumptions, don't we Set.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 09:51 am
I thought that the Fermi paradox was a business proposition except that nothing gets delivered apart from hot air and an avoidance of useful effort on high wages.

According to Veblen's famous scientific principle, that waste equals status and utility is odious, ( see toilet paper, tin openers and braces, and escutcheons, high heels and tailor's shops), the priesthood of the movement are members of an elite who rightly should be admired and their altar boys treated with respect.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 10:11 am
I just this morning realized what this thread is about. I have read the first several pages with great interest.

It would seem logical to me that a civilization capable of creating self replicating machines would send those machines to explore the more distant planets. Why waste generations of lives that way? The sentient beings would probably stick closer to home in their colonizing efforts, because that's what is practical.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 02:23 pm
Ed-

Practicality is not going to get in the way of this discussion. Perish the thought.

If you were familiar with the works of La Mettrie you would know that to an atheist monkeys, and all animals including man, are self replicating machines.

La Mettrie, by the way, is the man who is said to have invented the scientific method and had to flee for his life for his pains. In his time his was the heresy of all heresies.

One day a man will come who will read the word of The Great Silence and he will go forth and preach unto the multitudes upon the face of the earth that they must spend, spend, spend and let the Devil go f*** himself.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 04:03 pm
Oh, spendius! You're so wise.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 09:05 pm
Forgive the naive simplification (you should be used to that from me by now) but is see it as being similar told that on the day of my birth, 1000 diamond rings were randomly scattered across the earth, on that I should have found one by now.
0 Replies