Site on imponderables

xingu

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 08:05 am
http://www.eleceng.adelaide.edu.au/Personal/dabbott/imponderables.htm

Anyone care to ponder them?

I'll try one.

Quote:
Convention: Why do clocks go clockwise?

Because the shadow on sundials, which preceded clocks, moved in a clockwise direction. That's my guess.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 682 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 03:25 pm
Good theory on the clocks. The theory still holds true in the case of a pendulum clock and the rotational swings.

Interesting website. Most, if not all his imponderables are way way over my head. Am interested to read what other imponderables people have theories for.

Hmm, maybe I just answered one of them: What is truth?

Truth is the moment we recognize and agree with a theory and remains true until the next moment of recognition.

Or did I just define theory? Truth vs. theory. Are they the same?
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 06:10 pm
My impression of theory is it is the best explanation of a phenomena based on current evidence. Theory is subject to change depending on the availability of new evidence.

Truth is not subject to change; it is finite; that is, if I'm holding a red apple and I state I'm holding a red apple I'm telling the truth. But some truth can be highly interpretive depending on how an event is witnessed and the prejudices of the observer. In these cases truth is nearly impossible to find. This is especially true in politics.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 06:52 pm
xingu wrote:
My impression of theory is it is the best explanation of a phenomena based on current evidence. Theory is subject to change depending on the availability of new evidence.

Truth is not subject to change; it is finite; that is, if I'm holding a red apple and I state I'm holding a red apple I'm telling the truth. But some truth can be highly interpretive depending on how an event is witnessed and the prejudices of the observer. In these cases truth is nearly impossible to find. This is especially true in politics.

So, if you stand there holding that red apple long enough for it to shrivel up and turn brown, and state you are holding a red apple, are you still telling the truth? Do the infinite colors of a red apple from green to red to brown, and all shades between, still make your statement about holding a red apple true? Is truth just a snapshot of a moment in time or is there a continuum attached to that moment of truth? Is that also a theory? Again, so what is the difference between truth and theory?

By the way, I love these kinds of discussions. I usually don't have many answers but can come up with lots of questions to test the answer.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 08:36 pm
Butrflynet wrote:
xingu wrote:

So, if you stand there holding that red apple long enough for it to shrivel up and turn brown, and state you are holding a red apple, are you still telling the truth? Do the infinite colors of a red apple from green to red to brown, and all shades between, still make your statement about holding a red apple true? Is truth just a snapshot of a moment in time or is there a continuum attached to that moment of truth? Is that also a theory? Again, so what is the difference between truth and theory?

By the way, I love these kinds of discussions. I usually don't have many answers but can come up with lots of questions to test the answer.

It's true the apple will change but that doesn't take away from the truth at that moment of time. If I had said this apple will stay red for all time then I would be telling a fib as we know it will rot over time.

A theory is based on incomplete knowledge. A few discoveries here or there and someone tries to give an explanation based on what is known. Knowing the apple is red and saying so is truth because you see it and are holding it. But trying to understand and speculating on different dimensions in the universe is theory based on whatever.
0 Replies