Cleft Chin - Paternity

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 08:10 am
I have a question about the paternity of my son. I have some doubts about his paternity. I have two sons to two different mothers. My first son and I both have cleft chins. My second son does not have a cleft chin. What are the chances he is not my biological son? I would appreciate any feedback. I am trying to avoid going down the paternity test road because I don't want to admit to having these doubts.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 52,005 • Replies: 25
No top replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 08:15 am
If your first son had blue eyes and your second son had brown eyes, would you doubt they were both from you?
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 08:30 am
Your second child could have the chin of his great grandfather on his mother's side. My mother is blonde with blue eyes, my father has dark hair and brown eyes, I have reddish brown hair with green eyes. I look like my father's aunt on his father's side.

DNA is the only way to tell if a parent is a parent. Physical traits come and go throughout generations.
0 Replies

heartofthesun

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2006 05:39 pm
Re: Cleft Chin - Paternity
asandmanu wrote:
I have a question about the paternity of my son. I have some doubts about his paternity. I have two sons to two different mothers. My first son and I both have cleft chins. My second son does not have a cleft chin. What are the chances he is not my biological son? I would appreciate any feedback. I am trying to avoid going down the paternity test road because I don't want to admit to having these doubts.

the cleft chin trait may be a product of a combination of genes, but - even if it is a result of a single dominant gene (which is what it is thought to be), it would mean that with a cleft chin, you could sire kids with clefts and those without. so don't worry.

on the other hand, i hope your non-clefted son doesn't feel like less of a person b/c he does not look like daddy, or b/c daddy looks at his chin funny from time to time..that would be a tragedy...
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 2 Dec, 2006 03:41 pm
My husband has a dimple in his chin. Two of his sons have inherited this trait. Two have not.
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Sat 2 Dec, 2006 05:51 pm
I have a cleft, my oldest and youngest have a cleft...the middle child does not.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 2 Dec, 2006 06:31 pm
so who's the father of the middle child?
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Sat 2 Dec, 2006 06:37 pm
You should not pay child support for the child without the cleft chin. Is THAT what you want to hear? Actually, I suggest a DNA test.
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Sat 2 Dec, 2006 11:07 pm
Chai Tea wrote:

Pepe the gardner...we were a little short on cash that summer.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 2 Dec, 2006 11:09 pm
Or read some basic information on genetics.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 3 Dec, 2006 09:00 am
2PacksAday wrote:
Chai Tea wrote:

Pepe the gardner...we were a little short on cash that summer.

Well, cheer up. Maybe Pepe didn't have a cleft chin, but he did have a cleft palate.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sun 3 Dec, 2006 11:46 am
asandmanu wrote:
How do I break this news to you Sherlock? Has it occurred to you that the first child might not be biologically yours and that he inherited the chin from some other man or a previous generation from the mother? The second child (as well as the first) receive genetic inheritance from both parents and certain traits win out.

I look like my late grandfather but I never thought "hey maybe he's really my dad" Then there's my hair. My father had a full head of hair up until his death. My grandfather (on the side of my mother) was fairly bald by 40 and I have more hair than that several years later. Of course my grandfather was on the portly side whereas I can consume vast quantities of food and never gain weight...much like my father. Better dig up my parents and make sure they were mine. Better add Grampa in there too since I look like him (at least a thinner version). Maybe I'm a scientific first and I have 2 dads...no wait, NBC already did a show like that.

The fact here is that you have doubts. Can you suppress your doubts? Are they well founded (based in fact)? If the mother of the second child has been known to have engaged in sexual activity with other men during a time when you were with her then get the test, otherwise have a little faith and trust in her and get on to loving and raising that little boy, he needs a dad and I can bet ya dollars to doughnuts he is not going to care who it is...it can be you, a man who can be there for him 100% or some hobo from the next town over who will never show up for the kid. You're there, make the best of it, and keep in mind the mother sees you as the father. And what happens if the DNA matches with you? How are you planning to explain this one to the kid 15 years from now? "Oh, I loved you from the start but didn't wanna waste time on you if you weren't mine."
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Sun 3 Dec, 2006 01:42 pm
My grandma was known to fool around in her youth. My Uncle Bobby didn't know he was someone else's son until my grandfather told him "you are not my son". My Uncle was already 50 and this devastated him. However, I knew right up front he was someone else's kid. My uncle has a massive body frame and dos not look the least bit like his "father". It's best to find these things out when you are young.
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Sun 3 Dec, 2006 05:30 pm
I have a dimple on my left ass cheek. I don't even want to know if my dad does too!

I'm just kidding, I'm feeling a little fiesty and couldn't help feeling like this topic is slightly absurd. Unless of course there are other indications that lead to uncertainty.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Mon 4 Dec, 2006 01:44 am
I hope that kid without the left chin doesn't look like ME!
0 Replies

eidotog

Reply Mon 4 Dec, 2006 09:33 pm
heartofthesun wrote:
asandmanu wrote:

the cleft chin trait may be a product of a combination of genes, but - even if it is a result of a single dominant gene (which is what it is thought to be), it would mean that with a cleft chin, you could sire kids with clefts and those without. so don't worry.

on the other hand, i hope your non-clefted son doesn't feel like less of a person b/c he does not look like daddy, or b/c daddy looks at his chin funny from time to time..that would be a tragedy...

the cleft chin trait is thought to be a dominant trait. so if you are heterozygous for that gene, the chance of a noncleft child is 50%. Don't worry. you've got a fat chance that the son is your biological son
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Mon 4 Dec, 2006 10:11 pm
Kirk Douglas had a clef chin. How do you know Kirk didn't sire those other kids?
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Tue 9 Jan, 2007 10:24 am
asandmanu wrote:

Too funny.

Did the second wife/mother have a cleft chin? If she did not have it, chances are your second son inherited that trait from her.

Sturgis is right on.
0 Replies

pearlladie

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2007 09:49 pm
Cleft Chin
Okay, My husband has a cleft chin but neither parent does. Why?
0 Replies

lily03

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2007 08:15 pm
Cleft Chin
I've heard that if one parent has a cleft chin there is a 50% chance any of his/her children will have a cleft chin. But I've also heard that if neither parent has a cleft chin then there is no possibility of the child belonging to those parents. In my case, I have 3 sons and only 1 has a cleft chin and dimples. My dad had a cleft chin and out of 6 of his children my brother and I are the only ones to have cleft chins. I would like to know If both parents have a cleft chin does that mean that all their children must have a cleft chin?
0 Replies