Selling old coins

ossobuco

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 07:35 pm
Well, that was six years ago, I can't describe it precisely. Dirty, but with distinct features, whatever they were. I may be wrong about the depth found from 'grade', it might have been more like a foot. My then-house was built in the teens, so it makes sense that the coin was there.

If it's worth a bunch, I don't wanna know. Or, I suppose I could hone my sardonic view just a bit more.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 07:55 pm
http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/707/coinsxs7.jpg

here are some of the ones I have in my 'interesting to me only' collection

doing a little research now,
I have found that a few of my 1916 Lincoln pennies are in a high demand right now as well!

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/46/coins1ch3.jpg
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 07:59 pm
http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/1238/dunnoph8.jpg

This one is my absolute favorite.

I cant quite make out the date, I am thinking it is 1806, but it very well could be 1606.

it is worn to the point that it is beginning to look like a slug instead of a coin.

On the back there is a women dressed in a roman style 'toga'
I cant see what she is setting on, nor can I make out all of the writing on the back.

The front says-
GEORGIUS III D( and a few more letters after the d )

The man on the front appears to be wearing leaves around his forehead like a crown.. but they do not ( or it is so worn I cant tell) come all the way around his head. The leaves seem to stop just above his temples.

I have had this for 10 years.

I have a feeling I will never part with it deliberately.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 08:16 pm
http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/6160/prettyzn4.jpg

this is another one I think is just beautiful.

More then likely not worth the postage it would take to send it to someone, but the design on the front is amazing.

There is not a high point on the coin that has been rubbed off.
All of the detail is in perfect condition.
I can see each hair, feather, the writting on his arms, the wrinkles in his eyes.
It seems to me to be more of a piece of art then anything else.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 08:34 pm
Beautiful, shewolfn. 'course, I even like old paper money from Mexico and Italy, and I'm sure I'd like it from other countries if I was familiar with it.
But coins are very cool. Trying to remember where I saw some neat ones.. Perugia, I think.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 08:44 pm
I do have some paper money as well.

Not taken good care of though.

I have some from Mexico, Bermuda, Iraq, and france.. I believe?

Worthless or not, there is something enjoyable about having money from another country
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 08:47 pm
I have collected a few old coins that I keep in an old ball jar, but none of them are worth much more than their original face value.

You know you gave me a great idea. I can take pictures of my coins and be able to view them up close on the computer instead of using a magnifying glass Wink

You have nice little collection shewolf, I hope you can find a collector and sell them for their full worth Smile
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 08:50 pm
Thanks. Smile

That is only 7-10 out of 100+ so , i only have a very small amount displayed.

But, dont under estimate your coins.

in going through my pennies now, I just found a 1916 Lincoln.
You can still see the stairs on the penny.

Several auctions I have found for this penny are starting at about 500 bucks.

For a single penny!
You would truly be surprised.

I would love to see your collection if you ever do get pictures of them

I am really thinking about photographing all of mine, but I dont have that kind of time. (whew)
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 08:53 pm
ossobuco wrote:
Well, that was six years ago, I can't describe it precisely. Dirty, but with distinct features, whatever they were. I may be wrong about the depth found from 'grade', it might have been more like a foot. My then-house was built in the teens, so it makes sense that the coin was there.

If it's worth a bunch, I don't wanna know. Or, I suppose I could hone my sardonic view just a bit more.

This ?
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 09:05 pm
The oldest penny I have is a 1903 Indian head, in semi good condition...I'll try taking some pictures of the older ones and post them later.
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 09:06 pm
I have an 1899 dime, and an 1898 quarter, those are my oldest pieces.

Most of mine are just cool looking.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 09:07 pm
You guys are bringing out the nerd in me...

Im already look up YOUR coins too.. Embarrassed
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 09:11 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
You guys are bringing out the nerd in me...

Im already look up YOUR coins too.. Embarrassed

Please don't say it is nerdy to look up coins Laughing
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 09:21 pm
Some of the coolest people I know are nerds...well not really, but you know what I mean.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 09:23 pm
2PacksAday wrote:
Some of the coolest people I know are nerds...well not really, but you know what I mean.

Well, you know the saying: "Always be nice to nerds, they may be your boss someday" Smile
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 09:40 pm
Im not sayin anything..
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 09:52 pm
I was once the proud owner of the entire Jefferson Head nickel collection from its inception until 1978. One day, in 1972, I discovered that my 1950 D nickel was worth $7.00. I was 12 years old and that was a lot of money for a boy back in '72! Rather than sell it I hung onto that nickel greedily until 1982 thinking it would, of course, increase in value. It didn't. The price of that nickel kept dropping year after year. I found the reason was that only 2 million of those nickels had been made but over 3 million were now in the hands of collectors meaning there were at least a million or more forgeries out there. I sold that nickel in 1982 for $2.50 - not a helluva lot of money for a guy that just graduated college.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 25 Nov, 2006 09:55 am
i've got a british gold "one pound" coin (or is it a sovereign ?) from the reign of queen victoria .
it's not worth much more than the price of the gold content .
some of my 1948 german stamps (they were issued right after the currency reform when people didn't have much money , so they couldn't afford to buy them and lay them aside) are worth as much as the gold piece .
hbg
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 25 Nov, 2006 10:32 am
It is amazing how the prices of small change can change in a few years.

I have a 1948 S jefferson that, if it were in perfect condition, I could sell for almost 500.00

Not even 2 years ago, when I was looking at prices, it was only worth about 25 bucks.

Im sure I could put it out for about 300, simply because it is only dirty, not worn.

But like you Nick, Im hoping it will keep going up..

might not be the case..
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Sat 25 Nov, 2006 10:46 am
shewolfnm wrote:
http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/1238/dunnoph8.jpg

This one is my absolute favorite.

I cant quite make out the date, I am thinking it is 1806, but it very well could be 1606.

it is worn to the point that it is beginning to look like a slug instead of a coin.

On the back there is a women dressed in a roman style 'toga'
I cant see what she is setting on, nor can I make out all of the writing on the back.

The front says-
GEORGIUS III D( and a few more letters after the d )

The man on the front appears to be wearing leaves around his forehead like a crown.. but they do not ( or it is so worn I cant tell) come all the way around his head. The leaves seem to stop just above his temples.

I have had this for 10 years.

I have a feeling I will never part with it deliberately.

I HAVE THAT COIN AS WELL!! Yours is in much better condition, though.

You've got me all inspired now, Shewolf.

I think you'll find that the lady on the reverse of the coin is "Brittania".

I'll now brave the cobwebs over the next few days, and bring the "big box" down from the loft. It's my Dad's stuff that he collected over many years, and includes a few Stamp Albums, containing among other things, at least ten "Penny Blacks" (the first ever postage stamp), two of which are on addressed envelopes. One of the envelopes opens up to about the size of an A4 piece of paper, and is covered with beautiful old fashioned writing. The writer has even watered down the ink after he had filled the page, then turned the page 90 degrees and continued to write across his original letter. The watered down ink shows as light brown, but is still quite legible. Clever way to squeeze the most words onto one letter, methinks.

Would you mind if I stuck a couple of pics on here next week, Ms Wolf?
0 Replies